Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Build my own Vix image

I've done a fresh checkout of OE 5.6 and built the 6.8 Beta image (Vu Ultimo 4K) without any mods needed. It did fail several times but immediately starting again each time got it to complete. I'm currently building for the Zgemma H9SE
 
@lincsat… Yes, latest update (last week) …seems pretty solid, apart from Kodi.
 
I'm on 24.04.3 LTS and have recently built the 6.8.001.001 on the OE5.6 from a fresh checkout, it did halt a few times but starting again allowed it to complete.
What was the error message when it halted?

There will be logs in builds/openvix/developer/et8000/tmp/log/cooker/et8000 (but with et8000 changed to your box name).
And the error there will refer to a log file of the actual package that had the problem (and hence be a more useful log).
 
What was the error message when it halted?

There will be logs in builds/openvix/developer/et8000/tmp/log/cooker/et8000 (but with et8000 changed to your box name).
And the error there will refer to a log file of the actual package that had the problem (and hence be a more useful log).

There were a couple of compile fails exit code 1 and another different error that didn't appear in the cooker log exit code 139. I just entered the make image command again, non of the errors repeated and it completed on the 3rd attempt. It happens quite often for me when there is a lot to do
 
(I hope this is the correct thread to ask newbie questions - please move it if not.)

With Mut@nt51 and SX988 images no longer being provided I am considering building my own. Is there a way to reduce the local storage size requirements for building an image? I read on github's openvix build page, server requirements will need "HDD: for Single Build 250GB Free, for Multibuild 500GB or more".

1. Does the the complete server build environment need to be duplicated to build an image for a different STB board? Aren't core and enigma sources mostly common between machines?
2. Is there a way to clone only a shallow depth from github, so as to minimise the amount of data downloaded from oe-alliance-core and enigma2?
3. If I only use a few plugins, do these have to be built from sources to suit my two images, or are there generic builds provided to fetch them from somewhere? I think I don't understand the concept of providing "feeds" - what do these refer to and how are they meant to be used in a self-build setup?
 
The space recommendations are good. Maybe won't be all used straight away, but usage grows with rebuilds.

1) Server env is not duplicated, but each extra machine takes up a lot of space. Engima is machine specific. Core, well depends what part.
2) No idea what you mean by this. A clone is a clone... and the build clones hundreds of repos.
3) So you build the image and feeds (automatic). Then typically feeds are online, but so not to complicate things you can host your on feeds on a USB stick. Ask about this nearer the time.
 
(I hope this is the correct thread to ask newbie questions - please move it if not.)

With Mut@nt51 and SX988 images no longer being provided I am considering building my own. Is there a way to reduce the local storage size requirements for building an image? I read on github's openvix build page, server requirements will need "HDD: for Single Build 250GB Free, for Multibuild 500GB or more".
For my et8000 build
The entire source + build tree is ~48GB.
The et8000-specific build part is ~2.5GB of that.

You do, of course, also need a Linux system installed.
 
Thank you Huevos and birdman,

@birdman: 48GB + OS as a starting point is totally manageable for my candidate build setup. I could clear out old files as I start to run out of space.

@Huevos: By shallow depth I meant 'git --depth=1 <repository>' will clone recent commits, instead of dragging in the whole history. I'm on metered ISP downloads, so I need to keep an eye on how much data I download.

Regarding 'feeds', I'm still struggling to understand what these are. What do any feeds I create locally contain?

Thanks again for your patience.
:)
 
The idea is the base image a manageable size and we add extra packages from the feeds as and when we need them.

Menu > Setup > System > PackageManager

Look in there.

Entries with the coloured globe are loaded in your current image.
Entries with the grayscale globe are on the feeds but not actually loaded on the receiver.

Looked at in perspective (depending on the machine)...
The base image is around 150 MB,
Whereas the feeds are around 2 GB.
 
Oh! I got it now. Feeds contain pre-compiled binaries which can be fetched from an online repository and installed on a receiver.

Are these packages suitable for all machines, or do they need to be compiled individually to match each receiver?

Will packages currently installed on my receiver be built as part of the base image, or will I need to build them separately? Is there some package list I can include with my build effort, so I don't have to build packages I will never use?
 
Oh! I got it now. Feeds contain pre-compiled binaries which can be fetched from an online repository and installed on a receiver.

Are these packages suitable for all machines, or do they need to be compiled individually to match each receiver?

Will packages currently installed on my receiver be built as part of the base image, or will I need to build them separately? Is there some package list I can include with my build effort, so I don't have to build packages I will never use?
Feeds are box specific depending on architecture.
User installed packages are only re installed if you restore settings and plugins after an online flash

You can get more specific for your own builds, by altering the feeds url in the openvix.conf file so that the feeds directories in /etc/opkg point to a local feeds database e.g. if you build on a PC as long as that’s powered when you want to install from feeds you can point directly to the feeds built on the PC…… otherwise the receiver will still download from the openvix feeds.
 
I had a go, but failed at the first step! I can't clone the repo, because ... github. :(

I hadn't used github since they were taken over and added all these authentication complications, 2FA, etc. Trying to clone with my registered github username or email and my password credentials failed. I created a github (classic) token and tried to use this as a password, this failed too. I'd be grateful if you could please explain what steps I need to take to be able to access github and clone oe-alliance?
 
I had a go, but failed at the first step! I can't clone the repo, because ... github. :(

I hadn't used github since they were taken over and added all these authentication complications, 2FA, etc. Trying to clone with my registered github username or email and my password credentials failed. I created a github (classic) token and tried to use this as a password, this failed too. I'd be grateful if you could please explain what steps I need to take to be able to access github and clone oe-alliance?
Assuming you are in your build directory, then in terminal just
git clone https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-enviroment.git oea56. (oea56 is just my name, I just like to name clones with something)
Then cd oea56
Make update (to update all the elements)
and you should be away
 
I've not had a problem since following step 7 here -
Code:
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/tree/Developer
 
Thank you both. I followed step 7 and added my registered github email and name. When I run "git clone https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-enviroment.git -b 6.7" it asks me to enter my username and password
Code:
git clone https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-enviroment.git -b 6.7
Cloning into 'build-environment' ...
Username for 'https://github.com': Mickkie
Password for 'https://[email protected]':
remote: Invalid username or token. Password authentication is not supported for Git operations.
fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-environment.git/'
I tried entering either my password, or a github token I created. Both fail in the same manner. I'm not sure what token scopes I should have enabled, but I'm only trying to clone a public repo after all.
 
Try -
Code:
git clone https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-enviroment.git -b 5.6

I believe that's the latest OE build environment
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top