Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Dead Vu+Duo repair guide

  • Thread starter Thread starter ford
  • Start date Start date
plenty on sale from the cloners[ crap ] but not seen any for the old duo,maybe its time to retire the old thing and put money towards a better faster unit? i know its not a result you want but it could be a costly repair against a better upgrade.look at the mad prices wos is giving away boxes for:thumbsup:
 
How do you know it's the MB?
When the cap has gone, the voltage regulator will also go after some time, requiring replacement.
 
How do you know it's the MB?
When the cap has gone, the voltage regulator will also go after some time, requiring replacement.

hi .my tv wizard guy took main board out and could hardly touch the black heatsink part in the middle of the board .took board out and looked burned underneath ..also with the heat ,distorts picture on screen to this wierd green pixilation color ..so looks like new main board..
 
My mates Duo won't power on. No lights or noise at all. I take it this is a psu issues? Is there a way to test it? I do notice a lot of white stuff around certain components on the psu. What is that?
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    96.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    102.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    71.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    80.4 KB · Views: 65
You need to get a voltage meter and test the power voltages going in the main board from the PSU. If you haven't done anything like that before take it to a place where they have experience I.e. TV repair shop.
 
Hey lads.
Sorry I have not posted for some time.
Busy setting up my 2 way radio repair centre.
I have SMD rework equipment.
Hot air, and IRDA.
Not fishing for work, but if you get stuck please feel free to PM me.
Thanks for your kind comments on my sticky.
Cheers.

Hi Ford

Trying to send you a PM, your box is full.

Martyn
 
You need to get a voltage meter and test the power voltages going in the main board from the PSU. If you haven't done anything like that before take it to a place where they have experience I.e. TV repair shop.

I have a meter and I was trying to check. What I notice is when I put the black test lead on the case body, there is a fluctuating voltage of less than a volt with the red lead touching nothing. Not sure if this means a voltage leakage somewhere.

On the ribbon type cable going to the board, I take it, the wire marked 12v should report 12v or near enough on the meter if psu is working fine?
 
Thanks for your excellent tutorial.
I bought a used unit from Ebay which worked for about 1 week !
It now displays the redlight and is otherwise dead.
I have opened the unit and began the repair according you your tutorial.
Sadly I discoverd that the unit had already been repaired BADLY.
I have measured the voltages on all 15 conductors from the PSU but in your article you dont mention what they should be.
I get various dc votages eg ground,5v,12v,16v and 36v. I also note a red light in the digital audio output connector.
I suspect damage to the pcb board around C807 and U801 maybe contributing.
Can you assist with any further info or advice.
Many thanks
Tony
 
Thanks for your excellent article. I had the redlight problem and did the repair. Sadly still a redlight.
I have the unit disassembled and tried some voltage tests. The main connector is P801 and there are no volts showing on any pins except pin 2 which shows 5 volts. I suspect this is a standby voltage and a signal on another pin , possibly pin 3 is required to start up the psu. Do you have any futher info or ideally the circuit diagram ? Thanks Tony
 
Hi, Guys,
I have had a VU+ Duo for a few years now.
I had the red light issue a year or 2 ago and fixed it with th cap.
I have noticed the weak HD channel issue starting to creep in now, I will try that cap change too.

I have got 2 more VU+ Duo boxes to see if I can repair. I have changed the caps and smd on both, display still says "starting" but nothing else happens, no fan either.
I have a couple of power supply boards here too. I changed a cap on one which worked for a short time but I don't think this is the problem.
Can anyone advise me on where else my problem lies please if poss?
Thanks.
Regards,
Jules.
 
Spent hours on two Duos given up for now.
I have replaced all 3 regs and all 3 caps on both units.
They both display "starting" and no fan running.

Cheers,
Jules
 
Hi guys - would anyone be able to replace the regulator for me if i send the board to you with the part?

Im too clumsy to change it myself? Any help is appreciated before i bin the box :confused:

Obviously neccessary recompense will be give!:thumbsup:
 
I have had the above sorted locally and when I've reassembled the box it's back to life like Lazarus! Thanks to anyone who looked anyway!
 
Have read rhe whole thread but did Not found the tech specs to replace faulty REGULATOR.

Any help appreciated.
 
ill try and find out mate, Just before it dyed on me I could smell burning and then nothing it was fine before that.
thanks
Vu + Duo Twin Tuner
 
I got a new board and its still dead, could it be the switch how do I bypass the switch just to test.
thanks
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top