Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[ViX_Misc] EPG Refresh, iEPG and VPS

Programmes tend to start later than scheduled or are switched to a different channel, can VPS cope with a channel change?
No channel change capability even though the eit remains constant :-(

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
 
Hi birdman. I've installed the .py files in the zip plus the plugin.py file from earlier. What differences should I see?
You should no longer see a crash when trying to enable VPS on an AutoTimer (which my previous Modifications.py had let creep in).
Still working on AutoTimers but setting reverts to no when I enable it on manual timer (EPG GREEN) same as before.
Haven't looked at that yet. Should be able to have a poke around this evening.
Although when I look at adding a manual timer there is no VPS option at all!!
EDIT: and that would be a result of the TimerEntry code knowing nothing about VPS at all (the AutoTimerEntry code does).
So the mystery is how you ever see it in a manual timer at all!?!

The only reason I started to look at anything was the fact that the optional "justLoad" parameter (which I'd added to Vix 3 years ago) was causing a crash.
 
Last edited:
Why can't it determine whether the channel supports VPS?
Surely if it can't work that out then VPS isn't going to work well?

No idea, the tests I've done work with autotimers. The code is in Vps_check.py
 
Even if VPS could, I doubt that AutoTimer would like it.

I try to anticipate channel changes, once or twice a year, by adding an extra service to an autotimer.

It usually catches them when the epg changes, I run autotimer every 25 minutes, so a programme which is delayed gets the correct end time at the very least.
 
No idea whether this is anything to do with the VPS plugin but I've just got this:

< 4600.0235> 19:05:00.0023 [RecordTimer] stop recording on tuner: A
< 4600.0238> 19:05:00.0025 [eDVBServiceRecord] stop recording!
< 4600.0293> 19:05:00.0081 [eFilePushThreadRecorder] stopping thread: 100
< 4600.1297> 19:05:00.1084 [eFilePushThreadRecorder] stopping thread: 99
...
< 4602.5343> 19:05:02.5131 [eFilePushThreadRecorder] stopping thread: 75
< 4602.6345> 19:05:02.6133 [eFilePushThreadRecorder] stopping thread: 74
< 4602.7221> 19:05:02.7009 [gRC] main thread is non-idle! display spinner!
< 4602.7347> 19:05:02.7135 [eFilePushThreadRecorder] stopping thread: 73
< 4602.8350> 19:05:02.8138 [eFilePushThreadRecorder] stopping thread: 72
...
< 4609.8494> 19:05:09.8282 [eFilePushThreadRecorder] stopping thread: 2
< 4609.9496> 19:05:09.9284 [eFilePushThreadRecorder] stopping thread: 1
< 4610.0498> 19:05:10.0286 [eFilePushThreadRecorder] thread could not be stopped!
< 4610.0504> 19:05:10.0292 [eDVBTSTools] setSource loading streaminfo for /media/hdd/movie/Radio/20210205 1827 - BBC Radio 4 - The News Quiz.ts
< 4610.1027> 19:05:10.0815 [eThread] Destroyed thread without joining it, this usually means your thread is now running with a halfway destroyed object
and enigma2 is non-responsive....

EDIT: I suspect its not VPS related. I've had other recordings succeed with VPS in place, and this eFilePushThreadRecorder message reminds me of something else.
 
Last edited:
A quick check shows that for me.

  • Creating a manual timer shows no VPS option. Not surprising as the TimerEntry code knows nothing about VPS.
  • A timer set by an AutoTimer does know about VPS (which is odd, as by then it is just a timer so the point above should obtain, but doesn't).
  • Setting VPS to on in such an AutoTimer appears to work, but the value is never actually saved so if you look at it later it is unset again.
So, as far as I can tell, this is currently never going to do anything?
 
A quick check shows that for me.
Setting VPS to on in such an AutoTimer appears to work, but the value is never actually saved so if you look at it later it is unset again.
[/LIST]
So, as far as I can tell, this is currently never going to do anything?

I set up a few autotimers yesterday for the soap to keep the boss happy. They recorded perfectly yesterday and today. I have checked the timers created for the next few days and the "Enable VPS" is set to Yes (as expected)

Running 5.4.005 (release) with no mods. 28e epg downloaded with crossepg.

1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20210205210734.webp
 
No idea whether this is anything to do with the VPS plugin but I've just got this:

and enigma2 is non-responsive....

EDIT: I suspect its not VPS related. I've had other recordings succeed with VPS in place, and this eFilePushThreadRecorder message reminds me of something else.

Thats the Eric Slagter (OpenPli) FilepushThread fix that went on in January
 
.... I was getting filepushes yesterday when testing vps, very basic 5.4.005 release....

Code:
15:44:31.2451 [eDVBCAService] free slot 0 demux 1 for service 1:0:19:4484:4089:233A:EEEE0000:0:0:0:
15:44:31.2451 [eDVBCAService] don't build/send the same CA PMT twice
15:44:31.2467 [RecordTimer] [VPS] stop RecordService (simulation)
15:44:31.2470 [VPS-Plugin] next execution in 180 sec
15:45:00.1946 [RecordTimer] [VPS] RUNNING_STATUS 4 PRESENT
15:45:01.1951 [eDVBServiceRecord] pcr of eit change for event 19299: e317453
15:45:01.1952 [eDVBServiceRecord] now running: The Farmers' Country Showdown (2700 seconds)
15:45:01.1954 [eDVBDemux] open demux /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux1
15:45:01.1955 [eDVBSectionReader] DMX_SET_FILTER pid=18
15:45:01.1965 [RecordTimer] [VPS] EVENT_ENDED
15:45:01.1968 [RecordTimer] activating state 3
15:45:01.1970 [RecordTimer] stop recording on tuner: B
15:45:01.1971 [eDVBServiceRecord] stop recording!
15:45:01.1979 [eFilePushThreadRecorder] stopping thread.
15:45:01.1981 [eDVBRecordFileThread] waiting for aio to complete
15:45:01.1982 [eDVBRecordFileThread] buffer usage histogram (40 buffers of 188 kB)
15:45:01.1982 [eDVBRecordFileThread]   0:     25
15:45:01.1983 [eDVBRecordFileThread]   1:   3990
15:45:01.1983 [eDVBRecordFileThread]   2:   3981
15:45:01.8398 [eFilePushThreadRecorder] THREAD STOP
15:45:01.8418 [eDVBTSTools] setSource loading streaminfo for /media/hdd/movie/20210204 1500 - BBC ONE HD - Escape to the Country.ts
15:45:01.8462 [eDVBServiceRecord] fixed up 1ffc36953 to 20863 (offset 0)
15:45:01.8462 [eDVBServiceRecord] fixed up e317453 to e6e5163 (offset 0)
15:45:01.8474 [eDVBServiceRecord] saveCutlist 20863
15:45:01.8474 [eDVBServiceRecord] saveCutlist e6e5163
15:45:01.8489 [Trashcan] Recording(s) in progress: 1
15:45:01.8515 [eDVBCAService] free slot 1 demux 1 for service 1:0:19:4484:4089:233A:EEEE0000:0:0:0:
 
Last edited:
Here is the set of changes I intend upload to git (although I'll bump the version number when I do that).

This is mainly to fix the crash when justLoad is sent to the TimerEntry at restore time.
It also fixes the ability to switch vps on after switching it off, makes menus larger on HD screens and simplifies the Py2/Py3 check for arg count.

View attachment Updates.zip

This contains Modifications.py (fix the crash), plugin.py (fix saving on/off) Vps_check.py and Vps_setup.py (built-in skins).
 
Thanks. I will give it a test maybe late tonight or tomorrow and report back. I have a few recordings ongoing atm.
 
@birdman. I have never had a crash when setting VPS on an AutoTimer (I'm using dev build), prior to your fixes. I think it was an issue on Release code.

You don't see the VPS option on a manual (one-off) timer from the EPG, unless you set the "VPS enabled by default" option to off in the VPS setup menu. Even then, when you set VPS to yes in the manual timer edit, the setting just reverts to off after you save it. Only timers set by AutoTimer work. When you set the VPS option to yes in an AutoTimer, you get a further option to "Control recording completely by service" (see screenshot). Any timer generated automatically by such an AutoTimer will have the VPS set to yes (see second screenshot). Go figure!
 

Attachments

  • VPS_autotimer.webp
    VPS_autotimer.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 26
  • VPS_timer.webp
    VPS_timer.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
@birdman. I have never had a crash when setting VPS on an AutoTimer (I'm using dev build), prior to your fixes. I think it was an issue on Release code.
Should have been either that would crash, but you had to be doing a restore to get it (I think).

You don't see the VPS option on a manual (one-off) timer from the EPG, unless you set the "VPS enabled by default" option to off in the VPS setup menu.
That's a strange interpretation of "enabled by default". It's being taken as "forcibly on"; a very different thing.

Even then, when you set VPS to yes in the manual timer edit, the setting just reverts to off after you save it. Only timers set by AutoTimer work.
As I noted earlier today (or rather yesterday evening) the TimerEntry code knows nothing about VPS.

But I'd like to look at things one step at a time.
 
Should have been either that would crash, but you had to be doing a restore to get it (I think).

That's a strange interpretation of "enabled by default". It's being taken as "forcibly on"; a very different thing.

As I noted earlier today (or rather yesterday evening) the TimerEntry code knows nothing about VPS.

But I'd like to look at things one step at a time.
Just to add, if you use the webif and "edit new timer" rather than simply "add new timer", then the webif correctly presents the VPS options and saves them to the new timer.
The webif is inconsistent on editing timers created through the gui

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
 
Latest changes on basic 5.4.005

Creating a timer from epg with green and setting "Enable VPS" (which doesn't stick), 2 timer files ....

timers.xml

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<timers>
<timer begin="1612610700" end="1612613100" serviceref="1:0:19:4484:4089:233A:EEEE0000:0:0:0:" repeated="0" rename_repeat="1" name="Rick Stein&apos;s Cornwall" description="9/15. Rick meets Dawn French at Golitha Falls, where the River Fowey tumbles down to the sea. [S,AD] [HD]" afterevent="auto" justplay="0" always_zap="0" pipzap="0" conflict_detection="1" descramble="1" record_ecm="0" isAutoTimer="0" eit="19429" tags="Rick_Stein&apos;s_Cornwall"/>
</timers>

timers_vps.xml

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<vps_timers>
</vps_timers>

When I edit the timer using openwebif, the "Enable VPS" sticks, and remains stuck even after editing in the GUI.

Now these 2 timer files.....

timers.xml

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<timers>
<timer begin="1612610700" end="1612613100" serviceref="1:0:19:4484:4089:233A:EEEE0000:0:0:0:" repeated="0" rename_repeat="1" name="Rick Stein&apos;s Cornwall" description="9/15. Rick meets Dawn French at Golitha Falls, where the River Fowey tumbles down to the sea. [S,AD] [HD]" afterevent="auto" justplay="0" always_zap="0" pipzap="0" conflict_detection="1" descramble="1" record_ecm="0" isAutoTimer="0" eit="19429" tags="Rick_Stein_s_Cornwall"/>
</timers>

timers_vps.xml

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<vps_timers>
<timer begin="1612610700" end="1612613100" serviceref="1:0:19:4484:4089:233A:EEEE0000:0:0:0:" vps_enabled="1" vps_overwrite="1" vps_time="0">
</timer>
</vps_timers>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Typo in previous post - last timer_vps.xml should be timers_vps.xml

References can be found in Modifications.py and Vps_check.py
 
Last edited:
Three PRs in:

Code:
https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/pull/407
https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/pull/408
https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/pull/409
This is on the master branch.

Now, perhaps, I can get these into the dev branch as well and use that to find out where the missing bits are using that.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top