Hi all
did the 3.2 flash via download on image menu (no need for writing to USB but was prepared just in case). Like other posts have said was given a choice whether to restore from settings backup or not - but there was NOT a choice to restore settings and omit Plugins. I went with restore settings as I had documented my cold build options anyway. All went through in about 6 mins - settings were all preserved. Apart from the MediaPortal plugin - the need for a manual opkg command is documented already on here and re-issued recently (a -force-depends switch). It also preserved a bootloader plugin that I had selected previously on Hades - easy enough to remove that to get the new 3.2 screens. And had to re-install the 1080 blue Vix screen but all trivial updates. So although advice says "preserve settings" is OK and "Preserve plugins" isn't you will be OK as long as you re-install plugins afterwards - guess that depends on what ones you have.
All in all a great version upgrade - just have to get used to the new numbering system now the "god" names have gone!!!