Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[GiGaBlue QUAD+ PLUS] Frequent hangs - continuous spinner - only way out is switch off/on

leshay

New member
Joined
Sep 6, 2014
Messages
289
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Livingston, Scotland
Hi
Suggested I start a new thread. Here it is.
My setup: fixed dish, quad LNB, 4 separate cable (1 to each tuner), FreeSat only. Have tried using someof the 5.0.xxx builds, starting about 5.0.005. The first was new reflash coming from version 4.xxxx, with no settings restore, from then, couch flashing + settings restore. I don't have any plugins other than default (oh yes, Samba for remote access to box).
On all of the 5.xxx builds, I get regular hangs with continuous spinner - no remote functions and only switch off/on to get back to normal.

On every occasion, I believe that the issue occurs when starting recordings where more than 2 simultaneous recordings are being started. When I restart box, the duplicate part recordings always have a very small part where I did the switch off followed by the second part as normal.

I have used the box tuner signal monitor to verify all 4 tuners are working, and they are all OK as far as I can see.

There are no conflicts reported at the time of setting the timers. My box is always on BBC News channel and I *think* the box may be failing when there is no tuner left for the live channel - I have sometimes got the 'no tuner' when stopping a playback where it would normally just show the News channel.

Can't think of any further relevant information ......
 
Can you post your tuner configs settings for Tuner A, B, C & D please. You could use Open WebIf to take pictures and upload here. When in Open WebIf and you are in your tuner config settings, go into Tuner A and then right click on the picture and Save As a JPEG image and name it according if you like, then upload & attach pictures here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The only difference I can see is that tuners C and D appear to be different types of tuner.
 
The only difference I can see is that tuners C and D appear to be different types of tuner.

Hi
Yes, A & B were the 'fixed' tuners, included by manufacturer, and B & C were two plug in tuners I installed in place of 2 terrestrial tuners I had ordered on purchase of the box. (trees refused to stop growing :))
I have used those 4 as per pictures for a couple of years now.
 
The only difference I can see is that tuners C and D appear to be different types of tuner.
I can't see anything for tuner D as tuner C info has been posted twice... I assume that D and C are actually equivalent.

On every occasion, I believe that the issue occurs when starting recordings where more than 2 simultaneous recordings are being started. When I restart box, the duplicate part recordings always have a very small part where I did the switch off followed by the second part as normal.
So what you are saying is that when you restart the box exactly the same recordings start up, and work?


My box is always on BBC News channel and I *think* the box may be failing when there is no tuner left for the live channel - I have sometimes got the 'no tuner' when stopping a playback where it would normally just show the News channel.
That would require you to have 4 (rather than just >2) recordings going, none of which is on the same frequency as BBC News.
 
I can't see anything for tuner D as tuner C info has been posted twice... I assume that D and C are actually equivalent.

So what you are saying is that when you restart the box exactly the same recordings start up, and work?


That would require you to have 4 (rather than just >2) recordings going, none of which is on the same frequency as BBC News.

Hi
Yes, my mistake. The TunerD is exactly the same as TunerC.

I rely on the box deciding if a recording can be made while I choose to set a timer. In all cases, there were no clashes detected (addressing the frequency point you mention) I don't need/want to consider if I am choosing to record something dependent on it's frequency (I wouldn't know how anyway)

When I switch off/on, then say I had been recording Top Gear which would normally be one entry in the movie list, after switch on, I would see something like Top Gear 1 minute in length and Top Gear 58 minutes in length - same program just split into 2 entries - both would play back, but being very short (sometimes almost nothing), I normally just ignore the short part and play the long part which would play back normally.

As I mostly just watch pre-recorded programmes, and leave the box on BBC News channel. So, usually, when a playback ends, it switches to live TV (BBC News). Sometimes, depending on what may be in progress recordings, I get a dialog saying No free tuner - in which case, I can just list/change to a channel showing as available in the channel list. I am thinking along the lines of the box running out of tuners when needed.

These issues did not happen with VIX versions prior to 5.0.xxx, but the behavior regarding No free tuner was quite common then but without any hangs. (if indeed these details are related in some way)

I have also wondered if it isn't so much an issue of starting 'too many' recordings, but perhaps something to do with a recording ending just prior to new recordings starting not freeing up the tuner soon enough?
 
Last edited:
In the timer list, you can view details of timers which have "completed". Select and press info. Does this give any clues?
 
In the timer list, you can view details of timers which have "completed". Select and press info. Does this give any clues?

Hi
That is an option I wasn't aware of (I do occasionally use the CleanUp function). I will need to keep that in mind for next hang and see what is produced there.
 
... completed timers are kept for 4 days by default.
 
I am observing a very similar - the same? - issue with openvix version 5.x. And it was definitively not a problem in version 4.x.

Set up:
- Two tuners, B set up like A, exactly the same set up as in 4.x before.
- Time shift is set to start after two seconds.
- Two recordings on different services.

Triggering the issue:
- I stop watching an older recording and return to a service that neither tuner A nor B is recording.
- The screen remains black since neither tuner A nor B can be used due to the fact that both are busy recording other services. This is expected behaviour.
- As soon as time shift is started enigma2 becomes unresponsive with the spinner in the top left corner. This is not expected behaviour.
- I can ssh into the box and pkill -QUIT the enigma2 process such that it restarts itself.

Observations I made:
- After enigma2 is restarted the recordings are restarted and I can reproduce the behaviour by switching to a service that neither receiver can provide and waiting for the time shift to start.
- Setting "Recording and playback settings"/"Recordings always have priority" yes/no makes no difference.
- Always reproducible? Yes.

Cheers
T.
 
Hi
In my case, I have timeshift disabled. Had a crash last night 3 recordings started same/similar time (time of crash), I have 4 tuners so not caused by a tuner shortage. Switched off/on and the 3 recordings started and continued as though nothing had happened. Checked Info on Timer for the 3 recordings and didn't seem to be any issue there. I also didn't have any issues like this on the version 4.xxx VIX. As before, no crash logs produced.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top