Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

GB Quad+ Timeshift crash

How can timeshift files end up on USB when the default mountpoint is HDD? OpenViX mounts USB devices as HDD if no mechanical HDDs are present. Are you sure your mounts are not moving?

Timeshift starting automatically is disabled by default on OpenViX. User must enable it.
 
Thanks for the reply. The timeshift location isn't really my problem it's the playback once paused live tv and then watching it in timeshift, or watching recordings when it constantly freezes / jumps / jitters. It does not matter which image I use, they all do it. It never used to and now it does. I want to be able to fix that. I have re-initialised my hdd and formatted to Ext4 it makes no difference. It still does the same things
 
Thanks for the reply. The timeshift location isn't really my problem it's the playback once paused live tv and then watching it in timeshift, or watching recordings when it constantly freezes / jumps / jitters. It does not matter which image I use, they all do it. It never used to and now it does. I want to be able to fix that. I have re-initialised my hdd and formatted to Ext4 it makes no difference. It still does the same things
You are not answering the question 1) how is the usb formatted? and 2) in MountManager how is it mounted?
 
Initialising/formatting will not fix a HDD failure/problem. Especially an intermittent one. Seems to me that your HDD has a fault if playback of recordings is affected. Can you try a different HDD?
 
OK found the post from fat-tony
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40305-ViX-HD_experimental << post #3 is EXACTLY the problem I am getting and this was 2014.

And in 2017 he said, in this thread.

@birdman - tested your Timeshift.py extensively on my GB Quad+ (now in Permanent TimeShift mode)and have not experienced the crash when pressing STOP key. Seems pretty bulletproof at this point, thanks!

Anyway, hope he responds and confirms the status of play. Are you using the newer bootloader you linked in the thread?
 
Ok thanks for the pointers.

/media/hdd is for the HDD
/dev/sdb/ is for the the USB = usb has swap on it

I do have a spare HDD but won't be able to do it tonight.

How can I check the bootloader version? Can it be done from cli? I did update it about a year ago
 
You don't need a swap file , it will probably do more harm than good.
 
Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll do that later or tomorrow morning. Can't do it now - she who must be obeyed is watching tv.

Do any of you have a GB Quad HD+ and if so is it problem free and what image? :beer_toast: Thanks
 
@stargateuser - sorry for not jumping into the thread earlier. I hadn't been paying too close attention to it as the thread title doesn't actually indicate your specific issue and was started some years ago, so maybe your problem would have received more close attention if you had started a new thread with a more relevant title :)

Anyway, I use the Quad+ as my main machine and I don't experience any of the issues you are seeing. I have timeshift set to start automatically after 10 seconds and can jump backwards and forwards in the buffer without stuttering or blocking. I would say that perhaps you have a hardware issue (bad blocks or similar) with the disk drive? I'm on ViX 5.2.034 with a drivers date of 2018-04-03. The only problem I have with timeshift is when the timeshift buffer spans several programmes and I use the left and right arrows at the bottom of the remote to jump to the start of the previous programme. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get back to it, more often it will only jump to the start of the current programme and I have to go into the recording menu and select to timeshift record. That issue I think is down to drivers and I doubt if GB are going to release more updates as the box is several years old.
 
@fat-tony, thanks for the reply, I know it was an old post and next time if I get any issues I'll start a new one, so thanks for taking the time to reply.

I once had a DM8000 that was a total PITA and I eventually sold it as spares and repairs, I bought another and it was and still is perfect. No problems ever. So I do know that there are Friday afternoon / Monday morning builds and components, but for whatever reason when I changed to the 5.x OpenVix's this problem happened. I tried all the openvix 5.0 - 5.2, openatv, satdreamgr 6, Teamblue 6.3. All had lovely gui's but they all had the same problems as stated.

I might install the same build you have again and see how that goes but as of now I'm watching a recording done with Teamblue 6.3 and it is playing back smoothly, timeshift is enabled to start after 5 seconds and no problems. I have now installed OpenVix 4.2.030, drivers 20170118 and kernel 4.01. I know my hdd is ok.

It is weird, I'm glad that I saved a lot of the archive builds :thumbsup:
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top