Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

GiGablue Quad – First impressions

I use Harmony ONE and I have to point it quite right to work :-( On the plus side, the Harmony works as opposed to Deam Multimedia boxes that have hard trouble with it (sending double presses most of the time).

do you mean the harmony remote doesn't work as well as the gigablue standard remote in terms of effectiveness without direct line of sight?
 
Without having a Quad to prove it, I dare say: no.
I have many boxes and many Harmony's; every Harmony is better in this respect (and other respects!) then any original R/C.
 
I'll try later today. So far the harmony remote was allways better but this time I have to test the difference. I was quite dissapointed that I couldn't switch channels from my sofa that is about 50 degress angle from the Quad.
 
I'll try later today. So far the harmony remote was allways better but this time I have to test the difference. I was quite dissapointed that I couldn't switch channels from my sofa that is about 50 degress angle from the Quad.

did you by any chance own a vu duo? how would your quad remote compare to the duo remote. i think it's well known the duo you can change the channel from very tight narrow angles without even direct line.

I would be concerned by the 50 degree angle as that is nothing like the duo.
 
did you by any chance own a vu duo? how would your quad remote compare to the duo remote. i think it's well known the duo you can change the channel from very tight narrow angles without even direct line.

I would be concerned by the 50 degree angle as that is nothing like the duo.

this has already been answered..

You can point the remote in totally the opposite direction and remote still works perfectly..
 
this has already been answered..

You can point the remote in totally the opposite direction and remote still works perfectly..

yes, thanks for your earlier reply, i was just trying to reconcile your reply with that of jerry who was saying he had issues with his remote at only a 50 degree angle. maybe if he had issue with a duo too, it might just be a problem at his end
 
It is interesting to see some good comments on the Quad. My question is, if I have to replace my ailing DB800, why would I pay extra for the Quad over the VU+ Duo? Is it just the faster processor speed or the potential to expand other services from the one box.
 
It is interesting to see some good comments on the Quad. My question is, if I have to replace my ailing DB800, why would I pay extra for the Quad over the VU+ Duo? Is it just the faster processor speed or the potential to expand other services from the one box.

Depends on what you want to get out of the receiver.

The Duo is a well supported and time tested machine that is coming to the end of its life cycle, I have also heard that the manufacturer will be ceasing production if they have not already of the duo and solo models ( true or untrue I don't know ).


now even if this is the case that does not mean that support will cease but driver support etc may be a little thin on the ground as the manufacturer looks towards its newer models.

I have personally still have two duo's and they won't be going any where but being the tech geek I am I would be looking towards what the newer models such as the quad and the yet to be released duo2, solo2 models can offer us. Or even look towards the ultimo as prices of this unit have started to fall and I can say first hand that the ultimo is a very nice receiver.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
Or even look towards the ultimo as prices of this unit have started to fall and I can say first hand that the ultimo is a very nice receiver.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am torned between getting the Ultimo or 800HD Quad right now, would you say they Ultimo is more solid qualitywise or the same?
 
I have owed a DUO (made by VU the same people as the Ultimo) and I now own a Quad.
The build quality between the two are of the same high standard. I wouldn't say that one is better quality than the other.
The Quad IMHO is let down a little by the fact you have to use a 2.5" HDD which are out performed by the larger 3.5" HDD's and you are limited by the size of 2.5" HDD's BUT this is not a problem if you decide to use an eSATA HDD ;)
The Quad also has an external PSU wich helps keep the box cooler (and smaller) and should the PSU die its cheap and easy to replace (some areas have shite power supplies giving spikes etc, my power is crap and fried my SkyHD boxes PSU twice!!!! but I now use a UPS on my equipment)
The Quad is also cheaper, much faster CPU and outputs 1080p :thumbsup:

But to recap quality on both makes is outstanding :D
 
I see some other advantages with the QUAD and that's the external PSU which means less heat inside the receiver and if it brakes down it's easily fixed.

Also the QUAD seems much nicer looking, important for some people like me :-) the Duo was always the ugly duck but performed well, i had two Duos but sold my last one 1 year ago because i wanted the Ultimo and then it never happened and now i am here, glad I waited.

How come DVB-T2 isn't available? the Ultimo doesn't have DVB-T2 tuners to buy either.....a bit strange....
 
I am torned between getting the Ultimo or 800HD Quad right now, would you say they Ultimo is more solid qualitywise or the same?

The Ultimo is a great receiver and i use mine as my primary "family" box, that said when GB sort their drivers the Quad will wipe the floor in almost every respect with the Ultimo.
 
Harmony responds much worse than original receiver. I guess I should have programmed every button myself, not taking Gigablue HD 800 from database, maybe the codes are not 100% compatible. The original works with just a small keypress and from every direction.
 
Harmony responds much worse than original receiver. I guess I should have programmed every button myself, not taking Gigablue HD 800 from database, maybe the codes are not 100% compatible. The original works with just a small keypress and from every direction.

thanks for clarifying. with my experiance even with the duo, my harmony was significantly more responsive even though vu duo remote was good in its own right.

it might be worth you programming it yourself to see if that makes a differance.
 
Harmony responds much worse than original receiver.
??? A Harmony is no receiver :confused::confused:
If you have a problem related to the use of a Harmony R/C please make a separate thread for that. There are several simple and good solutions for that.
 
Yes, my mistake, I meant original remote. I responded here to someone who needed to know how is harmony doing with Quad.
 
Yes, my mistake, I meant original remote. I responded here to someone who needed to know how is harmony doing with Quad.
Nevertheless: if you experience problems in that area, please report so, so we can help. A Harmony should work just fine.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top