Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Guide setting out where to start if updating or creating own plugins?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mark007
  • Start date Start date
M

mark007

Guest
Bought my box last week and, as a programmer, am interested in potentially writing my own plugins or tweaking others to fit my needs.

I see the coding seems to be in python (not something I've used but it looks readable so I'm sure I can pick it up) but as someone who has never really dealt with linux, let alone Vix, I haven't a clue how I's go about compiling or installing something.....

So... is there a guide on where to start?

Also, as an aside, it seems there are plenty of updates. Is there somewhere to make suggestions for improvements?

Thanks.
 
Hi Mark,

You are a bit like I was a few years ago but I'm afraid there isn't much info out there.. I come from mostly a Java background so I'd never seen Python before either. Thankfully it's not a tough language but the problem is figuring out how the image works, I still struggle big time with this....

I found a guide recently, very basic but it's a starting point.. I will attach it when I'm back at a computer, it will get you started.. The good news is the receiver will compile the Python code for you, a simple e2 restart does the trick.

I haven't gone the extra step of building a Dev environment yet but maybe one day...

If I can be of any help I'll try but I'm far from being an expert im afraid, I fumble around but isnt that the only way to learn..

Best of luck and enjoy :thumbsup:
 
I found a guide recently, very basic but it's a starting point.. I will attach it when I'm back at a computer, it will get you started..
Ah, I've been asking about this too, so will look out for it, and if/when I find anything of further use I'll update it.

If I can be of any help I'll try but I'm far from being an expert im afraid
I can handle the Linux side OK, but I have an ethical objection to Python, so will just have to grin and bear it.
 
Hi there, can you tell me the user and password for logging in via telnet as I have failed with root and <nothing>
 
ethical objection to Python
ethical objection to Python??? Please explain.
And while mcquaim plays down his role, we wouldn't have OnDemand on any E2 box without him.
 
ethical objection to Python??? Please explain.
The fact that it forces me to layout my program according to the whim of the original author.
And not helped by the fact that 2.6.x (and earlier?) versions of it hard-wired /usr/local into the start of PYTHON_PATH(?), meaning that you couldn't have multiple versions installed on one system. So if a vendor supplied python (as several did, and required it for some system configuration tools to work) you couldn't install your own (later) version elsewhere just by defining your own location when configuring.
So it had the feeling of a tool which was written with no thought about generalizing use. It worked for the author, so you just have to do what he did.
I've always much preferred Perl, which let's you do what you need to do how you wish to do it.

But that's just my opinion (and with python you never get to express that :eek:).
 
It's an E2 box though, nothing to stop you using Perl? :confused:
Except I was hoping (expecting?) that there was already some existing library of useful management functions, and they'd be written in Python, not Perl.
But if I have to start from scratch anyway then yes, I might as well use Perl.
 
Except I was hoping (expecting?) that there was already some existing library of useful management functions, and they'd be written in Python, not Perl.
But if I have to start from scratch anyway then yes, I might as well use Perl.
Thereby defeating your objection to Python?
 
No.
I still have a personal objection to the Python philosophy.
Good luck then developing on an E2 box.
No reason it can't be developed, but personal obections isn't a reason.
 
Good luck then developing on an E2 box.
No reason it can't be developed, but personal obections isn't a reason.
And I wouldn't use them as a reason.
If I'm using something someone else has taken the time and effort to develop then I'll fit in with their choices.
That won't stop me airing mine, though.
 
probably the best place to start would be to take a existing skin like ViX-Night-HD and try modifying it to your own liking, this is how most devs start out, or take a plugin like OnDemand and try the same. There are plenty of people online who could help out if you need help and you never know your alterations / modifications could find their way back into the image / GIT for every one to enjoy.
 
Thanks mcquaim and phoenix.

Plan was indeed to look at something that already existed and try to modify to start with. I look forward to the guide if you find it though mcquaim.

Good to know the box handles compiling. Could you talk me through where I would put things on the box for it to compile and appear in the plugins list? I had a look at the filesystem and was none the wiser!

Also to what extent are things controlled by the vix image, skin, plugins? For example current bug bears of my wife (used to Toppy and MyStuff) are: 1. not being able to access media library when something is playing 2. skipping forward too far stops playback rather than just going to the end. Would either of these be fixable using a skin/plugin (or indeed only exist because of the skin I'm using!)
 
This:

Code:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12782-so-how-to-install-plugin-from-ipk-file

looks useful. Now just need to work out creating ipk files...
 
probably the best place to start would be to take a existing skin like ViX-Night-HD and try modifying it to your own liking, this is how most devs start out, or take a plugin like OnDemand and try the same.
But I'm not trying to write a plugin.
Although one thing I would like to change about that skin is to allow event Descriptions in EPGs to be enlarged - it seems you can change the font size for everything except this!
vide ultra said:
There are plenty of people online who could help out if you need help
Well, I've asked about the structure of epg.dat, lamedb and bouquet.* files, and how to configure XMLTV plugin downloads -- so far no-one has come back with anything.
 
There are plenty of people online who could help out if you need help ...
Possibly.
But I've asked questions in this thread and another one (and another) and have not yet had any response to any of them.
So it's not looking promising.

And where can I submit bug reports?
Is it possible to do this in a way that is trackable (there doesn't seem to be any Bugzilla-like tool).
The problem is that on the MB Twin the disk-activity indicator on the front LEDs is broken (it doesn't indicate activity, and you can't permanently switch it off, so it's annoyingly distracting while providing no actual information).
This seems to be known about by (some) other people but there is no indication who might fix it (who is "responsible" for such things?), when this might happen, or whether it ever will.
 
Last edited:
Bought my box last week and, as a programmer, am interested in potentially writing my own plugins or tweaking others to fit my needs.

I see the coding seems to be in python (not something I've used but it looks readable so I'm sure I can pick it up) but as someone who has never really dealt with linux, let alone Vix, I haven't a clue how I's go about compiling or installing something.....

So... is there a guide on where to start?

Also, as an aside, it seems there are plenty of updates. Is there somewhere to make suggestions for improvements?

Thanks.

Hi Mark,

I totally forgot about this until just now, sorry about that...

This is pretty basic but it will give you a bit of an idea!

@birdman I think it's best you create another thread to ask your questions as it's not related to Marks post here..
 

Attachments

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top