Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Having real difficulties with the menus

  • Thread starter Thread starter moulin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as I've said a couple of times now, the problem is solved to a large extent by getting the 4008 to see sda, and by owning an Octagon SX88+, an Edision Primo, and a Golden Interstar, all of which work intuitively. Several of them purchased from the sponsor incidentally.

Why should I give myself grief mastering something that isn't going to get me anywhere? Sometimes it's better to know and understand one's limitations.

I appreciate that you've tried to help, and I'm grateful, but in the end I've had to find the solution on my own. I'd only have been a nuisance to everyone on here pestering for help had I gone down your route.... The words hammer and nut come to mind in this context.

Anyway, thanks to everyone and happy viewing!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The only nuissance is not answering questions when asked. The image is the generally the same. no matter which receiver you use. Most people seem to get along OK with it.

If you want to learn, there are plenty of people happy to help and enjoy doing so. We mostly use Vix here, so you will get more help if you are on the same image as most of us.
 
Sorry abu baniaz - which question didn't I answer?

Not that anyone answered my question as to what the default record location settings should be, but never mind.....

I appreciate that there are a lot of clever folk on here, and if the 4008 was still my only option then I would risk wasting your time and sanity asking for help, but it's pointless for all sides now, given that I have simpler alternative receivers which do all that the 4008 can do, apart from Series Link recordings and DVB-S2X. There seems to be offence taken that I'm not asking for further help, but you should be relieved rather than annoyed - honestly!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry abu baniaz - which question didn't I answer?

Not that anyone answered my question as to what the default record location settings should be, but never mind.....
Actually, I answered that question, but deleted the answer when I realised you are using OpenATV, not ViX.

I had no idea if it was correct, although I would have been surprised if it was wrong.
 
Someone asked you to check the mount points. Pretty sure it was ccs

Default recording location is /media/hdd/
If the device is mounted as anything else, any default reference to it will fail. This is what is happening to you. You either have to correct the mount point or change the setting paths in several places or also add a bookmark to the new location.
 
Last edited:
You said you were uncertaint if you could reuse your channel list. Yes you can. It is good practice to backup your bouquets regularly.
 
Someone asked you to check the mount points. Pretty sure it was ccs

Default recording location is /media/hdd/
If the device is mounted as anything else, any default reference to it will fail. This is what is happening to you. You either have to correct the mount point or change the setting paths in several places or also add a bookmark to the new location.


You're absolutely right, apologies. I think I overlooked it because I'd changed so many settings and reformatted so often that I had no idea where I was.

And you are also right in that now I've changed the setting paths to involve the magic word sda I can at least now record, first successful timer recording was this morning.
 
You said you were uncertaint if you could reuse your channel list. Yes you can. It is good practice to backup your bouquets regularly.


Right, that's my job for tomorrow. Although I'm fairly certain that I've got a copy of it on the laptop, because one of the things that you folk were able to help me with a year ago, in spite of my uselessness, was to use Dreambox channel edit (?, was it that, something like that anyway, symbol of a black horse came into it I think) to delete all the channels I didn't want. I almost became proficient.....
 
See my previous response in #68.

However, to confirm, yes, under system it says OpenATV image, and it's the same one that was put on by the supplier eighteen months ago.

I did elsewhere make a passing reference to ViX I see, but that was an error due to my confused state,

As I also keep saying, as far as being able to make recordings is concerned, the box is now doing the job, even if it's not in a way that most of you appear to approve of. So whilst I am grateful for any further help I should stress - again - that I can't guarantee to be up to the job either of understanding your suggestions or of risking implementing them.
 
Thank you Sicilian. I'll certainly take a look at the overview. Just concerned that I could brick the box, particularly as we have here - on a regular basis - micro-cuts in the power supply, enough to cause computers to have to start up again, and I gather that that can be disastrous during a re-flash.
 
You guys have been very patient, even if your solutions have in the main been beyond my capabilities.

But here's what I hope is the end of this saga..... and maybe it's interesting...?

This afternoon - having unplugged the Octotangle overnight due to a thunderstorm - I tried to make an instant recording, and - oh no - back was the message saying "cannot record - disk full?".

Furious, I used Media Player to check that my previous recordings on the 64 GB stick were still there - NOTHING.

Put the stick in my computer, all still there in the "movie" folder.

So, back in the Octotangle, I use Media Player again to look for the recordings, 'cos you can see and explore the file structures. Up to last night I'd been having to go /media/sda1/movies - which is now apparently empty. However, with a bit of searching I now find that all these previous recordings are now in /hdd/movie, that by changing the record settings BACK to where they were a few weeks ago (ie to media/hdd/movie) I can once again record, and that the PLAYLIST button now shows "Latest recordings" (as it used to before the box started mucking about) and there they all are....

I should stress that - apart from unplugging - I had touched nothing. We're now back to EXACTLY where we were before the box started b*ggering me about a few weeks ago. All the nonsense of recording and playing back via sda1 has gone, although the location is still listed in <media player>. I'm delighted I can watch recordings again direct via the PLAYLIST button, which is much easier to use than Media Player.

Now I know you guys all think it's a wonderful box, I personally think the software is totally jinxed. How can the box just "move" recordings about at a whim, when in reality they are in exactly the same place on the USB stick. I just hope it doesn't do it again because it really will go in the bin if it mucks me about in the future!

As you can tell, and it's not aimed at you helpful people, I just feel angry that I've wasted hours and hours on the problem, only to find it now wants to play ball again in the old manner. I know I should just be grateful, but any confidence in the box and its software is long gone. It's a box for experts, not the ordinary person in the street!

Grrrrr!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top