Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

HDD/USB for EPG

silverblack

Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2015
Messages
124
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Age
67
I keep seeing conflicting posts about this.I only have a HDD connected and save all EPG data to that.
But i see some have USB stick connected too for EPG data so as not to use the HDD.
Is there any benefit doing this or just stick with the HDD for both recordings and EPG data ?
 
People recommend USB owing to a misconception that the device is constantly accessed for the EPG data. They say this to avoid excessive read/write operations. It is only accessed for EPG at startup, shutdown or when you specifically set it to save.

Mechanical HDD is fine.

Please note:
Thread will be moved to the ViX-Team-Images-Support-Discussion section. It is best to use the image support section for image issues as problems/solutions are usually the same irrespective of receiver. It also helps others searching for the same issue although they may have another receiver.

Please read the thread in link below which explains things better.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section!

No harm has been done, no need to apologise. Please bear in mind for future support questions.
 
Last edited:
Its down to you. I use my usb for most things as most of my receivers have some form of multiboot and I like to be able to "associate" an image with a stick rather than have everything lumped on one hdd.
But many people are happy to just use their hdd:)
 
If you use time shift to the HD anyway, then it's always on when you're watching TV. Even storing EPG data in flash shouldn't be a problem given the write cycle spec's for chips i've seen used though i'd rather not.
 
If you use time shift to the HD anyway, then it's always on when you're watching TV. Even storing EPG data in flash shouldn't be a problem given the write cycle spec's for chips i've seen used though i'd rather not.
EPG data is written at startup/shutdown. The storage device is not accessed constantly. The data is held in RAM. I think you are mixing up with picons.
 
If you use time shift to the HD anyway, then it's always on when you're watching TV. Even storing EPG data in flash shouldn't be a problem given the write cycle spec's for chips i've seen used though i'd rather not.

Thats what i was thinking,if TimeShift is enabled the HDD is constantly running anyway.
The box is working fine now only other problem i had was the front USB socket dropping into the box !
 
Even storing EPG data in flash shouldn't be a problem given the write cycle spec's for chips i've seen used though i'd rather not.
I have my debug logs running to USB, and they get updated slightly more often than epg.dat. Been doing that for 2 years so far...
 
EPG data is written at startup/shutdown. The storage device is not accessed constantly. The data is held in RAM. I think you are mixing up with picons.

I use CrossEPG so I figured it was written to storage on download (once a day in my case), then read into ram etc. My point was if the disk is already spun up to record time shift, then it shouldn't make a difference what else is being read/written to it e.g. epg data/picons. Technically someone could argue spinning up the drive at 1am or whatever will reduce its lifespan, motor failure is pretty rare though.
 
Just trying to set up a new Edison box, and within crossEPG it doesn't seem to recognise that I've inserted the bundled USB drive in. The only options it's offering me for locations to save the EPG in are either flash, or /media/hdd. I've watched the video and it shows it toggling to /media/usb but it's not offering me that option. I inserted the usb drive as it came out of the packet, but it didn't show up, so I formatted it and it still isn't showing up, even after a restart.
 
Last edited:
If you only have a USB stick connected, it will be mounted as HDD. Select HDD as the storage.

Don't mess around with changing mounts.
 
I use a USB for EPG data but only because it's already used for Picons and Timeslip
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top