Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Hello, from Ireland and requesting help selecting box...

vidapura

New member
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello,
I'm hoping to buy my first proper satellite box, so could do with some help deciding what I need to get.
Currently I have the old satellite dish that came with the house when we moved in.
So its a bit rusty and has a single LNB. But it works fine using the built in tuners in the LG TV.

I'm mainly unhappy with the non-integrated EPG.. saorview channels on one EPG and a rigmarole to switch over to the separate satellite channel EPG... heh..
Also, the recording facilities.. I can only record what I'm currently watchin...pain in the...

I'm in Ireland so I need a combo box I presume.. want to get the terrestrial channels (saorview ) and the UK channels off the freesat.

But most combo boxes seem to have two satellite tuners and only one terrestrial (T2 is it?) tuner..
I find that I'd want to record one terrestrial channel while watching another terrestrial one more often than I'd want to record a satellite channel..
(say if I leave the pro14 rugby recording while the missus uses the TV to watch eastenders)

So, first question, do I need to get a box with two terrestrial tuners ?

We used to have cable TV from Virgin Tv and we never had any hassle having a coupla different recordings going while watchin something else..
So I'd like to get back to that kind of flexibility..

Second Question.. does FBC give me that for sat channels?

I was looking at a Quad tuner like the Xtrend ET8500 but that seems to be out of production...

Now I'm looking at this maybe?
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/vu-plus-ultimo4k-ultimo-4k

I'm not very clued in on all the technologies.. so if anyone can correct me I'd appreciate it..

But, that dual FBC tuner in slot 1 should allow me a lot of flexibility in recording of satellite channels... right?

And if I put a twin hybrid DVB-T2 in the 3rd slot then wouldn't I get what I want in the terrestrial recording area ?
(ie: watch one without interrupting recording of another?)

Just wondering if there is a cheaper option I'm overlooking?

Also, do I need a special LNB for the FBC tuner? Is it a dual LNB as well?

Thanks for any replies or advice...

PS, what is multistream and should I care?
 
A cheaper box option you could look at the Vu+ Duo2 and have Tuner 1 as Twin DVB-Satellite & Tuner 2 as Twin DVB-C/T/T2. You will need to change your LNB from a single to a twin.
The Vu+ Ultimo 4K is a lovely receiver and to fully utilise the FBC-Satellite tuner you will need a Unicable LNB. Some Unicable LNB just have the one feed, but if you still wanted it to feed a Television for instance you would need a Unicable LNB with legacy ports. Look at this Unicable LNB (single cable) >> https://www.world-of-satellite.co.u...e-lnb/gt-sat-gt-dlnb1dy-unicable-II-24scr-lnb
And this one with Legacy ports >> https://www.world-of-satellite.co.u...-lnb/gt-sat-gt-s3dcss24-unicable-lnb-3-legacy
Having an FBC-Satellite tuner, will allow for 7 recordings on different transponders and to be able to watch another Satellite channel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I think Andy has summarised well ... but add the Gigablue 4K‘s to your receiver “look at“ list .. they have the FBC tuners and dual T2 tuner!
 
Thanks to all who replied.
I'll have to spend a little time reading the details on the boxes mentioned above.

I just got a bit confused at the following:

Some Unicable LNB just have the one feed, but if you still wanted it to feed a Television for instance you would need a Unicable LNB with legacy ports.

.... eh.. am I not feeding a TV from the satellite box?
Sorry.. not getting what you meant there.. apologies...

A unicable LNB would be grand.. I get that... and I see the second LNB has legacy ports.. but not getting what the legacy ports would be needed for?

Oh, actually.. if I had a unicable LNB .. could I just use the existing single cable to get the signal to the box?
That'd be great cos I wouldn't have to go drilling the wall for a second cable.. yeah?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Legacy ports would be if for instance you had a freesat receiver in your bedroom or if your actual TV had freesat then you would need a cable from the legacy ports. Yeah, existing satellite cable should be ok, providing cable is in good working order/quality etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ahh ok.. sorry.. doh....
I was just thinkin in terms of one box... ok, thanks.

Can I ask a coupla more questions please?

So, now I'm probably being even more stupid... there is one cable coming down from the LNB.. but the boxes mentioned above seem to have two built-in DVB-S2 FBC tuners...
Would I just use one of those for satellite? Or would I split the cable some way?
Apologies now... just inexperienced here...

Also, hope I'm not labouring the questions too much now.. but .. being in Ireland.. would I get 7 day EPG for the freesat (UK) channels and the saorview (Irish Terrestrial) channels?
I suppose I'm probably straying into Enigma2 territory now... I'm trying to read up on it.. but its just a lack of actual experience of these devices really...

Thanks for your continued patience.

Thanks
 
Ahh ok.. sorry.. doh....
I was just thinkin in terms of one box... ok, thanks.

Can I ask a coupla more questions please?

So, now I'm probably being even more stupid... there is one cable coming down from the LNB.. but the boxes mentioned above seem to have two built-in DVB-S2 FBC tuners...
Would I just use one of those for satellite? Or would I split the cable some way?
Apologies now... just inexperienced here...

Also, hope I'm not labouring the questions too much now.. but .. being in Ireland.. would I get 7 day EPG for the freesat (UK) channels and the saorview (Irish Terrestrial) channels?
I suppose I'm probably straying into Enigma2 territory now... I'm trying to read up on it.. but its just a lack of actual experience of these devices really...

Thanks for your continued patience.

Thanks

You would just use Tuner A for the FBC, Tuner B you would use to connect a motorised dish maybe.
Yeah you will get 7 days EPG for freesat and a simple tweak in the settings will give you 7 days for terrestrial too. [emoji4]



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The Saorview 7-day epg will download automatically once you switch to one of the channels.
 
Further apologies.... but...
I've been reading around.. whats going on with this Multistream thing?
What does that add to the party in practical terms?
 
Multistream is available abroad in some parts, so not relevant to you, so I wouldn’t concern yourself about that. [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Multistream is available abroad in some parts, so not relevant to you, so I wouldn’t concern yourself about that. [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh Phew !
Thanks.. one less thing to wreck my head !
LOL
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top