Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Solo2] Help with wierd error messages

It's alright saying that now but I left it as default which is internal flash, when it crashed I couldn't access via FTP so had to reflash.
This is post number #81. I said this in post number #32. If you don't follow the instructions in thread your issue will never be solved.
 
getting this too every morning when I switch on the Gigablue Quad
 
I don't get crashes but every morning this error message is on the screen, with exit it disappears. I'm on Virgin with VM router.
 
So this is confined to BT Home Hub and Virgin SuperHub?

Are you all running DHCP?
 
I use Sky bb and had the update error (not any other errors) during initial setup installation. This error didn't happen again but then I do, during initial setup, disable image update check.

This was on a Solo2 with USB flash with no restore of settings.

I connect using ethernet which is via homeplugs. As I mentioned in a previous post, no network changed my end. Same homeplug, router, etc.

I do use IP reservation via router so image is setup for default dhcp.
 
Last edited:
Had the same error messages. Done a factory reset of virgin media superhub, fresh flash of openvix 21 with settings restore and been ok since.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I use a Virgin Superhub 2, no dhcp, fixed ip address

I do a fresh flash tomorrow
 
Anyone getting this error, with or without the crash, for now do this:

Turn off online update check. Menu > Setup > System > Software update settings > Background Check > Set to NO. Reboot your receiver.

This WILL stop the error message, but if anyone still gets a crash please report back with logs.
 
FWIW.

I received this error and went to switch off the Background Check...but I went to the wrong menu by accident.
So, I can tell you what happens if you got to Menu/Setup/Software Update.

First the spinner spins.
Then, after about a minute, it tries to retrieve the list of software updates. And it loops doing this.
Just checked - mine has now stopped, claiming that a background update check was now in progress. Which at least meant I could exit the menu and didn't have to abort the two recordings in progress. (Now, how did I know there were two of them when the system wasn't responding to the remote... :) ).

Now I'll go to the correct menu...done.
 
I suspect you already know this but an attempt to update the package list will sometimes fail.

I've just got this error from opkg update on my MBtwin:
Code:
Downloading http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/openvix/release/3.2/inihdx/inihdx_3rdparty/Packages.gz.
wget: can't connect to remote host (37.187.113.82): Connection timed out
...
 * opkg_download: Failed to download http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/openvix/release/3.2/inihdx/inihdx_3rdparty/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
but 5s later on my PC I was able to download the same file.

A load problem?

OpenVix should be able to handle such errors gracefully, since they are almost inevitable from time to time when accessing a remote network.
 
OK, pleased to report that no problems since Saturday afternoon. Hadn't switched off the box until last night, switched on this morning and no error with background update switched off.

Will add a skin and a couple of my usual plugins and see how it goes
 
I suspect you already know this but an attempt to update the package list will sometimes fail.

I've just got this error from opkg update on my MBtwin:
Code:
Downloading http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/openvix/release/3.2/inihdx/inihdx_3rdparty/Packages.gz.
wget: can't connect to remote host (37.187.113.82): Connection timed out
...
 * opkg_download: Failed to download http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/openvix/release/3.2/inihdx/inihdx_3rdparty/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
but 5s later on my PC I was able to download the same file.

A load problem?

OpenVix should be able to handle such errors gracefully, since they are almost inevitable from time to time when accessing a remote network.

Did you also try it with a wget command on your box.
I seems that several boxes have network errors lately, depends on how the local network is made (router type, switches etc.)
 
Did you also try it with a wget command on your box.
Yes. Sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't.
There's nothing wrong with my Internet connexion - all web-site access from the PC is running as normal.
seems that several boxes have network errors lately, depends on how the local network is made (router type, switches etc.)
From what I'm seeing I'd say that the issue is at/near the openvix.co.uk server.

At this very moment access is fine - and running a software update check (see #93) runs smoothly through to completion (nothing to do) .
 
The weird bit is why this error nerfs certainly functionality (cams, updates, plugin downloads) but other things work ok (Plex etc)
 
Sorry for repeating things but thinking out loud - assuming the server end is ok it's not a speed / duplex mismatch that's appeared in certain NIC drivers is it?

You can see the interface stats using ifconfig and interface speed via 'ethtool eth0' like below:

Code:
root@xpeedlx3:~# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1E:A0:00:65:DC
          inet addr:192.168.0.240  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::21e:a0ff:fe00:65dc/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:84789 errors:1 dropped:239 overruns:0 frame:1
          TX packets:68343 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:8115925 (7.7 MiB)  TX bytes:67444551 (64.3 MiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

root@xpeedlx3:~# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                             100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                             1000baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 4
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: ags
        Wake-on: d
        SecureOn password: 00:00:00:00:00:00
        Link detected: yes
root@xpeedlx3:~#

The lines that say speed and duplex above tell you what you're running at - half of me wonders if for some of the folks with issues that the boxes are negotiating the wrong speed / duplex? Likewise if ifconfig shows loads of error counts then it is likely to be a local issue between the SB and switch / router - potentially even network cabling etc.

My home CCTV went bonkers a week or so back and it was an auto negotiation problem.

If the interface is flapping on the STB there will probably be something in /var/log/messages.

For the folks with issues it might be worth trying something like PingPlotter to monitor your STB IP and also www.openvix.co.uk just to see if you're losing connectivity to either there from your home connection. You can get a free 30 day evaluation from https://www.pingplotter.com/download.html
 
Last edited:

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top