Hi all,
Noob question: Can I use the (OpenViX on GigaBlue) signal strength screen to align my dish?
I read elsewhere that I don't need to buy a signal meter device, that I can do it all with a website and a smartphone app to point the dish. I'm trying to get Freesat channels (Astra 2 @ 28.2E). I tried using an Android app (Satellite Director) in combination with a website (Dishpointer) to point the dish. With that done I selected Automatic tuning on my GigaBlue box and managed to tune many 'black screen' channels from Astra 3. Based on that I concluded that my dish elevation and azimuth are slightly off the mark. I went into tuner settings, selected the Astra 2 satellites in place of Atra 3, and then into signal strength screen, adjusting the dish to try to pick up a signal from the Astra 2 satellites. No matter how I adjust the dish though I can't see any hint of a signal. I'm fortunate to be able to postion the TV such that I can see the signal strength screen through the window, albeit with lots of climbing up and down the ladder.
I read around on the forum and saw a post suggesting that the box needs to have already tuned in the channels I want before the signal strength screen will work. Is this correct? If so, what approach should I take to try to align the dish? Given that it appears the compass in my smarthone is slightly off or is perhaps being interfered with by the steel in the ladder or dish, is there any better way than trial and error and repeated automatic tuning to get to get the signal strength screen to work for me?
Many thanks
Noob question: Can I use the (OpenViX on GigaBlue) signal strength screen to align my dish?
I read elsewhere that I don't need to buy a signal meter device, that I can do it all with a website and a smartphone app to point the dish. I'm trying to get Freesat channels (Astra 2 @ 28.2E). I tried using an Android app (Satellite Director) in combination with a website (Dishpointer) to point the dish. With that done I selected Automatic tuning on my GigaBlue box and managed to tune many 'black screen' channels from Astra 3. Based on that I concluded that my dish elevation and azimuth are slightly off the mark. I went into tuner settings, selected the Astra 2 satellites in place of Atra 3, and then into signal strength screen, adjusting the dish to try to pick up a signal from the Astra 2 satellites. No matter how I adjust the dish though I can't see any hint of a signal. I'm fortunate to be able to postion the TV such that I can see the signal strength screen through the window, albeit with lots of climbing up and down the ladder.
I read around on the forum and saw a post suggesting that the box needs to have already tuned in the channels I want before the signal strength screen will work. Is this correct? If so, what approach should I take to try to align the dish? Given that it appears the compass in my smarthone is slightly off or is perhaps being interfered with by the steel in the ladder or dish, is there any better way than trial and error and repeated automatic tuning to get to get the signal strength screen to work for me?
Many thanks