Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Duo] Initial Questions - Duo

  • Thread starter Thread starter wl1
  • Start date Start date
W

wl1

Guest
Initial Questions/Clarification
My Set up is (replacing SkyHD) VU+ Du (Vix)ordered last week, with 500Gb external Samsung USB HDD.

• Fan Noise – very loud – fan/air noise. Its mounted in an open glass shelf unit, so it’s not hot. But I guess noise could be amplified as the air is sent to the back wall. I need to resolve this. Has anyone got a silent fan recommendation? Many on here seem to say the fan can be disconnected with ill effect. My HDD is currently mounted outside, but it looks like the fan is for extracting heat from the PSU side of things. Is there a way of monitoring internal temperature? Any suggestions…?
• My Tuner B in Sat Finder seems to be jumping around with its signal, as low as 2.5db – I suspect the LNB. I have not moved the inputs around yet, to prove LNB/Tuner input. But when SkyHD box went back in both signals were 90% on Signal and Quality. Does anyone have a Quad LNB recommendation with a good match for this Duo – choice seemed limited on this site.
• I followed some instructions on here for Picons, it seemed to work to a USB stick. But later the box seemed to think the USB Stick was the HDD for programs, and I resorted to only USB HDD and no USD Stick. I assume the Picons could be installed to the USB HDD without the stick – any pointers?

I am not up to speed with the new language yet – Bouquets are flowers still. Thanks for any help….


Wayne
 
I have 2 duo boxes and no problem what so ever with fan noise....so may be yours could possibly be faulty.
Picons can be placed in hdd no problem but people don't recommend it as it means you're hdd will be on the go all the time when you change channel and such.


Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
 
It occurred even before the USB HDD was connected, and stopped when the fan was unplugged momentarily.

I have set the Fan with basic Control, which now at least stops immediately the unit is in Standby. I think it used to overun (but may have been recording).

I am pretty sensitive to fan noise (read fussy) - since iI replaced my PS3 with a Oppo 93 Bray player (fanless), all is well. SkyHD is being replaced (fans noisy-ish, with HDD noise too).
 
That won't reduce the fan noise :p

But thanks for the HDD and picons tip - that, at least makes sense. :)
 
I am also trying to feed a signal from the Duo upstairs. Currently HDMI goes to AVR downstairs. I also have an rf modulator to capture the composite and analogue output left/right audio from the Duo, and combine it with an aerial signal.

I get HD Freview upstairs, but on the analogue tv tuner, I only get the composite coming through, no audio.

It looks like the Audio is not being output - is there something I have to do to enable this?

(I have tried a different RF modulator, and Scart to Composite/audio with a different cable - no luck).

Thanks for any comments.
 
When it comes to LNBs it depends what you are trying to receive.

If you are trying to receive UK Astra2 channels from within the UK you can probably get away with any universal LNB. You need to make sure that the LNB matches the dish mounting.

For receiving marginal channels the Inverto Blac Ultras have a good reputation. So far my MTI LNBs have not given me any trouble.
 
This happened to me, I noticed with the top cover off the fan was back to normal noise level put the cover back on level raised again. Sorted this by installing anti vibration washers between fan and back panel, you can get them off eBay.
 
When it comes to LNBs it depends what you are trying to receive.

If you are trying to receive UK Astra2 channels from within the UK you can probably get away with any universal LNB. You need to make sure that the LNB matches the dish mounting.

For receiving marginal channels the Inverto Blac Ultras have a good reputation. So far my MTI LNBs have not given me any trouble.

Thanks, I have started looking, and it looks like the bracket is the trickiest bit. Sorry for my naivity - I am just replacing Sky. I forget the scope of these forums is much wider :)
 
This happened to me, I noticed with the top cover off the fan was back to normal noise level put the cover back on level raised again. Sorted this by installing anti vibration washers between fan and back panel, you can get them off eBay.

I have nothing on top of the unit, but the solidity of the chassis might be having an affect. The noise could be vibration, rather than air flow.

The unit came with some vibration washers, I assumed for HDD. I have not used these yet. Did you have to remove the PSU board to get the fan out? If you have a link to the wshers you refer to, that'd be great.

For anyone passing through here, I have measured the power usage on this with a power meter. Considering my unit is only in use 4 hours a day, I am glad I checked.

Power in Use: Quoted spec -25w - my measurement 45w
Power in Standby: Quoted spec - 20w - my measurement 30w (still powers LNB)
Deep Standby - quoted spec less than 1 w - 0w (too low to measure). This has a 1 minute boot time penalty though...

Wayne
 
Hi, I took the back panel off, I think it was two nuts for the inputs and 5 screws then mounted the fan to the panel and replaced. eBay item no. 200831883069 for 2 mm vibration washers. They will be the same as the hdd ones you have.
 
Hit the audio button on the VU remote and see if changing to digital downmix on does anything (red button)

I used an RF modulator when I had a DUO and it worked perfect with the scrat socket. Have you had the modulator working before with any other box?
What does the modulator put out? There are a few different versions of PAL and some TV's don't pick up the audio on one of them (multi-standard ones do) if you have picture and no sound it might be worth looking at your modulator to see if there is a PAL version switch and try that. Failing that try and retune the TV and look at the settings :thumbsup:
When I used a scart I just plugged it in, no setting up was needed.

I am now using the same modulator on a Gigablue Quad but as that has no scart I now use composite outs.

As for LNB, any universal twin or quad type will be fine :D just make sure it has a low db rating.
 
Last edited:
For receiving marginal channels the Inverto Blac Ultras have a good reputation.

I've had two crap out on me ;)
They work great in the winter but give problems in the summer when they heat up in the sunlight.
With one of mine the 22khz stopped working so I could only get the lower band.
The other just stopped working.

Good with weak signals? YES reliable? Nope :(
 
Hit the audio button on the VU remote and see if changing to digital downmix on does anything (red button).

I had tried two different modulators, but same model number, with the same result. I am happy to say your idea about changing to downmix worked. Well, I say happy, I mean I understand what is going on. I now need to think of a way round this.

Thanks for your help...
 
A couple of more questions, if you don't mind:-

Pan and Scan, Just Scale, and Letterbox mode - I have played about with these settings, and I am not entirely happy.

Has any one got any definitions of what is happening with each, ie how the box is treating the incoming signal? I have noticed jerky/choppy pictures at times. Slow pans horizontally are worst affected. It can be seen with football during goal kicks etc.

Resolution - I have it to 1080i letting my TV convert to Progressive. Which should be fine for HD content. But does this setting upscale SD content to 1080i as well? I am not sure which scaler is in this Duo, but a "native", unprocessed option, would be better. Again, any pointers on where to go for this info would be great.

VIX upgrade today - I seem to have lost the ability to schedule the Deep Standby. I was sure it was in the Vix settings under Power Manager. Any ideas?

Thanks, Wayne.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top