B
BrianTheTechieSnail
Guest
What convinces you that the disk failed rather than the box crashing and writing garbage over some important data structures?I don't think Vix can do a low-level format, it only seems to do an initialize which clears the FATs or whatever the equivalent is in the linux file system. Personally I would not trust the disk, I would install a replacement disk and format the replaced disk appropriately.
Is this testdisk from CGSecurity? Did is say anything about the drives health or about SMART information?Update from me, I did a full scan with testdisk and it took about 8 days on my 2tb disk. It recovered a list of filesystems but each one was corrupt and so it could not be loaded. The disk itself seems ok and passes diskcheck without errors. So I ahve lost my data. It sounds like Vix cannot programtically do this so I can only presume the disk itself has an issue. I'm still going to use the disk but backup anything I want to keep and see how it goes.