Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Network problem

Tangfolio

New member
Joined
Mar 23, 2014
Messages
116
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Been having a problem last couple of days with network disconnecting at irregular intervals and not being able to get it to reconnect.
Both wired and wireless network connections are effected, they both show an IP in network tests but the tests fail on the 'nameserver' bit and wireless can get the SSID, other devices in the same room can still connect to both using same cables etc.
Reboots don't help, only way I have found to get it to reconnect is to completely power-down the box for a while.
I thought at first that it was the Apollo 156 update as it seemed to start at the same time and no difference with 157, no one else is reporting a similar problem so maybe not the updates.
 
oh, sorry i dont know much about OSCAM. do you have a crash log that you can post. hopefully someone can help better than me. sorry feller
 
It hasn't caused any crashes, though it didn't do it last night and I'm wondering if the 157 update might have fixed something as I let it do the update when I finally managed to get it to reconnect late monday night.
 
Could it be a duplicate IP address issue?

FYI, I'm running Vix 157 (and was running 155) on a Duo2 without any problem. I also use OSCAM.

I've also seen problems with Nameserver test failing. This was very specifically with a BT Homehub router and Vu+ Solo2. I could never get it to work properly when using DHCP. In the end I had to set IP addresses on the Solo2 manually.
 
Checked in the router, (Huawei HG635) connected devices, and it shows everything with unique IP.
Tried switching the VU box from LAN to WLAN and it won't connect and both are now showing the same IP but LAN reconnected when I switched back.

Not related but just done the update to 160 and the update indicator is still flashing but nothing to update.
 
You should have done a fresh (usb / couch) install without doing a setting restore if you upgraded from 153 or lower to 155 or higher. If you did an online update, then that may be your problem. Even if you did a fresh install, it might be worth trying a clean install again.
 
I did eventually find the post about doing the fresh install of 155 as the box wouldn't get past the splash screen after the normal update. Could I ask, what is a 'couch' install?
Network hasn't disconnected again so far.
 
Couch flash is when you update via software updates or via image manager (which can be found by pressing blue button n ViX) [emoji106]
 
"Couch flash" is when you flash an image. This is not the same as performing an online update.

Couch flashing involves the usage of ofgwrite by Betacentauri.
Blue > Vix > Image Manager > (Select image) > Blue (Restore)

You will see ofgwrite by Betacenatauri on your screen. It will be as if you have flashed an image by USB.

You can download images direct from the image server onto your HDD, FTP an image to your HDD.
 
Thanks for all that, I had seen the menu for it but never been in a position to try it as I usually end up with VIX not booting and then have to do a USB flash.
 
Just for clarity, if I want to do a fresh install (Vu+ solo2 running Vix with Blue HD cross epg) because of the problems Tangfolio mentioned can someone do an idiots guide.( if there isn't one already)

From what I can ascertain, I go to http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Vu+Solo2/
then pic the latest image in this case 163 openvix-appolo

Then download this to my Hard drive on my laptop and ftp it to the Solo2 hard drive?

Then what, how do I make a settings backup first? (I don't want have to set the whole thing up from scratch)

Yikes, this world of STB and the maintenance of them is a steep learning curve :eek:
 
Last edited:
To make a settings backup
Blue button> ViX> Backup manager.

To make a full image backup
Blue button> ViX> Image manager.

You can get a flashing tutorial showing how to flash the receiver with a USB stick from www.openvix.co.uk in the guides and tutorials section as well as the excellent and very comprehensive ViX Manual by Rob Van der Does.

To use the cough flash method download the image from www.openvix.co.uk or directly from our server in the image manager using the yellow button. If you download it from www.openvix.co.uk just FTP the entire image file still compressed to /media/hdd/imagebackups/ then use the blue button to flash / restorew the new image.
 
Thanks pheonix, ok I've done that.

How do I do a settings back up first?
I can't see an option for a Settings Backup in the Vix backup manager
 
Just press the blue button (Off the top of my head as i'm at work so cant be 100 percent sure) while in the ViX backup manager to create the backup.
 
Thanks pheonix, in Vix, the backup manager says "select a backup to restore"

Green button says "New Backup" pressing that seems to do a full backup

What I was looking for a "settings backup" so I can install a version 163 and restore my settings (hopefully complete with my skin) etc.

I can wait till later if you are in work



A side issue I have is the backup manager window is only half screen so it cuts off the date so all I can see is 2015-04. (and no day or anything past -04 How do I get to see the whole file details so I know which day I am restoring (Shame I can't rename these to something meaningful so looking back next month it remind me

Backup TS media installed ...date
Clean install 163 ...date
Added dodgy addon 163 ... date
 
Thanks pheonix, in Vix, the backup manager says "select a backup to restore"

Green button says "New Backup" pressing that seems to do a full backup

What I was looking for a "settings backup" so I can install a version 163 and restore my settings (hopefully complete with my skin) etc.

I can wait till later if you are in work



A side issue I have is the backup manager window is only half screen so it cuts off the date so all I can see is 2015-04. (and no day or anything past -04 How do I get to see the whole file details so I know which day I am restoring (Shame I can't rename these to something meaningful so looking back next month it remind me

Backup TS media installed ...date
Clean install 163 ...date
Added dodgy addon 163 ... date

Just to clear something up, you wont find a button that specifically says "settings backup", just press the green button while in the backup manager.

Backup manager, allows you to create or restore a settings and plugins backup. be aware though to restore plugins you will need a active internet connection as it downloads the plugins from the image feeds. you can also restore this kind of backup during the setup phase of a new install when presented with the option to use a backup.

Image manager, allows you to create a full image backup, it also allow you to download images directly from the ViX server and restore any image directly without the need for a USB stick, also known as "couch flashing".

As for the skin issue which skin do you currently have in use ?. I will help as mush as I can but I am working from memory and wont have access to a receiver to verify any thing until after my shift and thats 08:00 tomorrow morning.
 
If you are on a build before 155, you cannot restore from a backup, you will have to fresh flash and setup as new. You will encounter problems in the long run if you restore any backups prior to 155 build.
 
with the icon on red is that going to cause issues with new image with plugins down?:confused:
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top