J
JeanReno
Guest
Hello all,
New to the forum, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place . . . also apologies for what is no doubt another 'what box' thread
I've been scouring the forum for help and advice on which box to purchase and hopefully you can help.
A little background:
I'm in Kent, UK, currently with Sky (have a Sky+ HD box) but am looking to move to Freesat instead to save money with the arrival of a new baby, which in itself reduces our TV watching time
Well, means that we currently have BabyTV on more often (I realise this isn't available on Freesat).
My dish was newly installed by Sky about 2 years ago, so I assume it'll be fairly recent. Quad LNB as I understand (I haven't looked). There's a white twin cable that runs to my box.
So, I'd like a new box. I'm an IT manager who runs two Rasp Pi's (web server and NAS) so I'm no stranger to tinkering with Linux and IT in general.
My requirements:
Twin Tuner - would like to record one channel whilst watching another
Easy to playback recordings
Ability to 'series link' or as close as possible
Skinable - I want it to look nice. MetrixHD looks like my kind of thing.
Tweakable - I like to tinker and get the most from my equipment.
Ethernet - I have an small switch behind the TV
Fast to start - even if that's just from standby
Good quality - I'd rather pay more for a nice box and remote
Tech integration - the more it can talk to my Samsung TV, NAS, tablet, phones etc the better.
Can I run Freeview & Freesat together? Not important, but could he handy.
Most Importantly - must be wife proof in daily use
Cost isn't overly important (£250 max), but the cheaper the better if I can get away with it.
Current main contender is the VU+ Solo 2 since it seems to fit the bill, but does it offer enough over the likes of the Xpeed LX2, Cloud iBox, Technomate or other offerings for less money?
Any advice on where to start would be very welcome.
New to the forum, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place . . . also apologies for what is no doubt another 'what box' thread
I've been scouring the forum for help and advice on which box to purchase and hopefully you can help.
A little background:
I'm in Kent, UK, currently with Sky (have a Sky+ HD box) but am looking to move to Freesat instead to save money with the arrival of a new baby, which in itself reduces our TV watching time
My dish was newly installed by Sky about 2 years ago, so I assume it'll be fairly recent. Quad LNB as I understand (I haven't looked). There's a white twin cable that runs to my box.
So, I'd like a new box. I'm an IT manager who runs two Rasp Pi's (web server and NAS) so I'm no stranger to tinkering with Linux and IT in general.
My requirements:
Twin Tuner - would like to record one channel whilst watching another
Easy to playback recordings
Ability to 'series link' or as close as possible
Skinable - I want it to look nice. MetrixHD looks like my kind of thing.
Tweakable - I like to tinker and get the most from my equipment.
Ethernet - I have an small switch behind the TV
Fast to start - even if that's just from standby
Good quality - I'd rather pay more for a nice box and remote
Tech integration - the more it can talk to my Samsung TV, NAS, tablet, phones etc the better.
Can I run Freeview & Freesat together? Not important, but could he handy.
Most Importantly - must be wife proof in daily use
Cost isn't overly important (£250 max), but the cheaper the better if I can get away with it.
Current main contender is the VU+ Solo 2 since it seems to fit the bill, but does it offer enough over the likes of the Xpeed LX2, Cloud iBox, Technomate or other offerings for less money?
Any advice on where to start would be very welcome.
