Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[GiGaBlue QUAD] [NOT QUAD+] recording problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ojustaboo
  • Start date Start date
Yes - the new bootloader is optimised for the new builds (OE 2.3 (or OpenMIPS 4.2) or ViX 025 onwards). I understand that a ViX build (030) is underway and will include the modified drivers from Gigablue.
So if i put the previous bootloader on (20130507) then it shouldn't boot up openmips 4.2?
 
No - I said optimised, not that it wouldn't boot. My understanding of the bootloader changes is that it speeds up the boot. I don't know whether it has changed the partition sizes.
 
Ah ok thanks fat tony, thought something was wrong somewhere ...just assumed that it shouldn't have booted...thanks
 
@ Richard please re-flash you receivers with build 003 to ensure you have defo flashed 003 and do not restore any backups http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?...d 024/&file=openvix-Apollo.003-gbquad_usb.zip

Also test this image here

Code:
http://image.openmips.com/4.2-DEV/index.php?open=gbquad

Hi Sicilian
Just to let you know i reflashed 003 with previous bootloader..All i did was scan in tuner a b and c..looked at the temp which was already on 99, watched a channel for a few seconds and rebooted..checked the temp after reboot which showed 86, set off a couple of recordings, temp figure rose to 99 after 2 minutes and rebooted so reverting to the openmips 4.2 for now
Thanks Richard
 
Hmm, I know what's going to happen.

If I had received the box, Richard and me will still have had problems and I would have to pay to return it again.

Now I've asked for it to be recalled, I guarantee a version will be released that fixes all Richards problems :)
 
Yes - the new bootloader is optimised for the new builds (OE 2.3 (or OpenMIPS 4.2) or ViX 025 onwards). I understand that a ViX build (030) is underway and will include the modified drivers from Gigablue.
Lets hope 030 is a success. I am sure there has been enough feedback on the issues to have it finally sorted.
 
Lets hope 030 is a success. I am sure there has been enough feedback on the issues to have it finally sorted.

Just downloaded it a couple of hours ago and so far, so good. Have played back two recorded HD programmes while four more were recording in background and no gliches.
 
Downloaded 030 and my GB would not boot up after the update. No full image on the Vix download section. So I will have to use another image to get the box back on. Not a good start.
 
Reading a few threads on the Gigablue support forum via google translate.

A fair few people are experiencing the same problem as me and Richard, some have had this problem since January 2013 (not a misstype).

One person has two boxes, one runs perfectly fine, the other he has to put a fan under to get it to work perfectly.

Someone else had exactly the same problem, sent his receiver back, they replaced his motherboard, he now has zero problems.

Another has zero crashes with the lid removes, but the rebooting problem with it on.

Someone says in a post dated February 2014, I also have a heat problem wit the box, when recording two programs at once and watching a 3rd. (them installing a fan solved all their problems) which makes me think it is a completely different issue from the recent driver problem?

Someone else says the heatsink is undersized for the CPU and then links to a long thread from January 2013 about adding a fan to the Quad. With many showing photos of their efforts, eg

pic1.webp


So it looks like for most people there's no problem, but for a small but significant amount of people. overheating issues do occur.

But it's still odd that for many, it only happened after a particular update, a fair few posts appearing May this year. I still think it's simply a matter that some boxes run hotter for whatever reason, hence only a small number of owners get the problem with the newer software.

Most of these posts refereed to the actual CPU temp, not the reported 99C temp me and Richard have been going on about, but it was still the temp causing their issue. But as many of these precede the recent driver problems, I do think it's a completely different issue (although still very very very odd how it all started for me and Richard after the update).
 
Last edited:
Reading a few threads on the Gigablue support forum via google translate.

A fair few people are experiencing the same problem as me and Richard, some have had this problem since January 2013 (not a misstype).

One person has two boxes, one runs perfectly fine, the other he has to put a fan under to get it to work perfectly.

Someone else had exactly the same problem, sent his receiver back, they replaced his motherboard, he now has zero problems.

Another has zero crashes with the lid removes, but the rebooting problem with it on.

Someone says in a post dated February 2014, I also have a heat problem wit the box, when recording two programs at once and watching a 3rd. (them installing a fan solved all their problems) which makes me think it is a completely different issue from the recent driver problem?

Someone else says the heatsink is undersized for the CPU and then links to a long thread from January 2013 about adding a fan to the Quad. With many showing photos of their efforts, eg

View attachment 36908


So it looks like for most people there's no problem, but for a small but significant amount of people. overheating issues do occur.

But it's still odd that for many, it only happened after a particular update, a fair few posts appearing May this year. I still think it's simply a matter that some boxes run hotter for whatever reason, hence only a small number of owners get the problem with the newer software.

Most of these posts refereed to the actual CPU temp, not the reported 99C temp me and Richard have been going on about, but it was still the temp causing their issue. But as many of these precede the recent driver problems, I do think it's a completely different issue (although still very very very odd how it all started for me and Richard after the update).

Thats interesting Ojustaboo..Thanks

It's very strange..There still must be a problem somewhere in the update weather it be in the image, boot loader kernel etc...As i am still using open mips 4.2 and it is a great improvement.I had 5 recordings going for 10 hours and no reboots..still not perfect though as i had 3 or 4 recordings going no reboots, kicked off a hd recording and got a reboot.......But i wouldn't have been able to do this with 026/028 and also reverting back to 024 and 023 (perhaps only with the fan on it)

Perhaps they will replace your motherboard if it goes back to Gigablue?
When 030 is on i'll flash it and see how it goes
 
Last edited:
030 did not work on my box this morning. Download from software update and the box failed to reboot. Had to revert back to a hard flash of 029. Waiting for 030 to be available on the website.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
 
Poor Stef, I have to say that the service he (WoS) has provided has been first class.

I must have driven him insane and been his most annoying customer of the year :)

I've just asked him if I can go ahead with the delivery after all :)

As it worked 100% previously, I think I'm confident that nothing has deteriorated H/W wise and something in that update simply made the slightly hotter temp affect a few boxes.

reading Richards Openmips experience, rather than me be without the box for another 2 to 3 weeks, if OpenMips doesn't sort the problem out with the latest update, I'll shove a laptop cooler underneath it until a version that fixes it appears.
 
Downloaded 030 and my GB would not boot up after the update. No full image on the Vix download section. So I will have to use another image to get the box back on. Not a good start.

Thats because the image is still on our beta server and has not yet been moved to the public one, but is still available via online updates. This is why we continually state the need to make a backup image just incase, it is also why there is a settings backup automaticaly created as part of the image update system.

p.s I updated my own GB Quad from build 028 to 030 last night without any issues at all.
 
Thats because the image is still on our beta server and has not yet been moved to the public one, but is still available via online updates. This is why we continually state the need to make a backup image just incase, it is also why there is a settings backup automaticaly created as part of the image update system.

p.s I updated my own GB Quad from build 028 to 030 last night without any issues at all.

Hi Pheonix. That's great info thanks. I always make a backup as a safety net! To be honest I did not have too much time this morning to try 030 again to see if it booted up. I'll give it another shot tonight. Strange how some boxes have no issues and others do, but I suppose that is the wonder of software and hardware.
 
Poor Stef, I have to say that the service he (WoS) has provided has been first class.

I must have driven him insane and been his most annoying customer of the year :)

.

And thats why he has the single best customer service of any retailer in the UK and Ireland, and most of Europe for that matter.
 
Too late to recall it, but Stef says he wants it back anyway to test 30 works fine on it and is discussing my problem with Gigablue..

Again superb service

Apologies for some of my rants, just a little impatient without my box :)
 
Ok just got in from work and see that 030 is out..I'll download it and put it on tomorrow
Just a update on openmips, mate said it had rebooted today when watching Eastenders on a hd channel
Perhaps it doesn't like Eastenders!
Yes from your posts Ojustaboo, Stef has done a excellent job and must have been just as frustrating for him as for you but is nice to see that there is still some customer service in this world
 
Flashed 030 tonight. Same problems, bad recordings, box powers off sporadically , need I go on. Just have to go back to what? Apollo 3?? Will have to swop the quad for the solo 2 in the lounge as the quad is doing our heads in. Any solution welcome.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
 
Gigablue are looking into this issue. Its software, not hardware issue. Users are going to have to be patient and await their fix/updates.
 
Nice one! 7 recordings! that's impressive and only a rise of 1d...Is your box in the freezer or you live in the arctic? Joking aside..Thanks for the info..Just adds weight that there is a issue somewhere in the quad
FYI: watching and recording won't influence the temperature in a noticeable way (as you just proved). The processor load will only be around 5%, so no heat from there.
Obviously an internal HDD will generate some heat, but that won't have much influence on the temperature of the SoC.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top