Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Solo2] OpenVPN

  • Thread starter Thread starter jayd4887
  • Start date Start date
J

jayd4887

Guest
OpenVPN slow speed

hello i could do with some help regarding setting up openvpn, any any help would be appreciated

ive set up my surfshark vpn, everything is working but my speed drops from 80mb to about 10-15mb when vpn is active and not sure what is causing this issue. i have other devices connected to same location and they loose about 5mb.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's not just where you connect to but things like Handshake and data encryption match exactly the same as other devices you have connect to VPN with?

Are you using wireless or wired on all devices?

You also need to ideally test speed several times using each device and one after each other. What I mean is it wouldn't be a true representation of speed test if you test friday afternoon with one device and tested saturday the other device as Saturday is likely to be busy especially if during a match and others are connecting via this site.

Using my VPN on my Solo2, my speed is around same regardless of device I connect with except for some times when it's really slow but then it's slow on all devices then. In other words the location I'm using has suddenly become popular/busy.
 
Last edited:
You lost me on hanshake and encryption bit, Solo2 is wired and other devices are wireless. Yes i have done quite a few tests one after the other and all come out roughly same, only a few mb in it
 
You lost me on hanshake and encryption bit, Solo2 is wired and other devices are wireless. Yes i have done quite a few tests one after the other and all come out roughly same, only a few mb in it
The (initial) handshake and encryption type can affect speed but if i'm being honest I wouldn't expect speed to drop that much.

I use a different VPN provider than you but the software I have installed on my laptop tells me the handshake/encryption type for which I personally have lowest setting as this results in faster throughput.

Are you using speedtest plugin (from feeds) for the speedtest?

What I was thinking is do your handshake/encryption as used on Solo2 (via OpenVPN) match
 
Yeh I've been using speedtest plugin from feed, ive just checked the config file and it is using AES-256-CBC I will try changing this to Chacha20Poly1305
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chacha20poly1305 cant be used, provider as said i can use AES-256-CBC and AES-256-GCM
 
What does your client.conf contain (x out, if necessary, any personal username/password and URL of remote server)
Here is mine:
Code:
client
dev tun
proto tcp
remote someip someport
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
cipher bf-cbc
auth sha1
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass password.conf
compress
verb 1
reneg-sec 0
ca ca.crt
crl-verify crl.pem
 
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote xxxx.xxxx.surfshark.com xxxx
resolv-retry infinite
remote-random
nobind
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
persist-key
persist-tun
ping 15
ping-restart 0
ping-timer-rem
reneg-sec 0

remote-cert-tls server

auth-user-pass auth.txt

#comp-lzo
verb 3
pull
fast-io
cipher AES-256-GCM

auth SHA512

<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>
key-direction 1
<tls-auth>
#
# 2048 bit OpenVPN static key
#
-----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1-----
b02cb1d7c6fee5d4f89b8de72b51a8d0
c7b282631d6fc19be1df6ebae9e2779e
6d9f097058a31c97f57f0c35526a44ae
09a01d1284b50b954d9246725a1ead1f
f224a102ed9ab3da0152a15525643b2e
ee226c37041dc55539d475183b889a10
e18bb94f079a4a49888da566b9978346
0ece01daaf93548beea6c827d9674897
e7279ff1a19cb092659e8c1860fbad0d
b4ad0ad5732f1af4655dbd66214e552f
04ed8fd0104e1d4bf99c249ac229ce16
9d9ba22068c6c0ab742424760911d463
6aafb4b85f0c952a9ce4275bc821391a
a65fcd0d2394f006e3fba0fd34c4bc4a
b260f4b45dec3285875589c97d3087c9
134d3a3aa2f904512e85aa2dc2202498
-----END OpenVPN Static key V1-----
</tls-auth>
 
Nothing looks out of ordinary for wireshark.

If you disable openvpn on Solo2, does your speedtest then report usual high speed you would expect?

Do you use openvpn on any of the other devices or do you use their actual client? If you don't use openvpn on your other devices then personally what I would do is install openvpn on my laptop and test this with same config files as used on solo2 to see what speed test reports back as?

Guide for installing, if needed, OpenVPN on Windows, etc:
Code:
https://support.surfshark.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003204233-How-to-set-up-OpenVPN-on-Windows
 
Yes when i disable openvpn the speed goes back up to 80+mb. On other devices it uses surshark software, so will will try openvpn on the laptop and see what results I get
 
Yes when i disable openvpn the speed goes back up to 80+mb. On other devices it uses surshark software, so will will try openvpn on the laptop and see what results I get

Its a well known fact that VPN's throttle speeds, hence there are so many. Best is nordvpn.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top