Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Redlight of Death Repair

You could measure the voltages. I recently saw a diagram showing the correct voltages, but I can't seem to find it atm.
 
You could measure the voltages. I recently saw a diagram showing the correct voltages, but I can't seem to find it atm.

I tried to google the diagram but could not find it. By any chance you found it? :)
 
Thanks for all the information in this post. My VU+ Duo has stuck on the redlight once, but started normally after leaving it switched off at the mains for five minutes. I suspect the box might be close to permanent failure soon, so I want to get the replacement capacitor now to be ready to do the repair quickly if/when it fails.

In another forum it was recommended that a 330uF capacitor should be used. Someone asked about using a 330uF cap earlier in this thread but the reply was to stick to the original value of 220uF. Any further thoughts on the best replacement capacitor to use.
 
Thanks for all the information in this post. My VU+ Duo has stuck on the redlight once, but started normally after leaving it switched off at the mains for five minutes.
Then don't power up the box at all, otherwise the regulator will die as well.
 
Then don't power up the box at all, otherwise the regulator will die as well.

Says who? My box has had the "redlight problem" since day one (a few years ago and more) but still boots if I leave it unplugged for a few minutes before re-trying.

Spoooo
 
Says who?
Many users on many forums.

My box has had the "redlight problem" since day one (a few years ago and more) but still boots if I leave it unplugged for a few minutes before re-trying.
Then probably your box has no problem at all.
It is a known issue with all DUO's that it takes some time for the capacitors to discharge. That is the reason that 'instant rebooting' via the power-button never worked. Waiting for a minute or so (leaving the power switched off) is normally enough.
 
Many thanks for your outstanding guild all fixed and up and running:wave:
 
Well after 3 1/2 years of faithful service my Vu+ Duo gave up the ghost last night with the dreaded "red light of death" problem. I tried the capacitor replacement solution as documented on many other fora but however no luck. I believe that replacing some regulators is the next step but my soldering skills are pretty basic and I don't fancy trying to solder a 6 legged component.

Does any know of anywhere in the Dublin area that could repair this box?
 
Have you tried one of the telly repair places?
 
Yep I'm in the same position - the box has died 3 years to the day since I bought it!! Have ordered some capacitors from ebay and will try replacing the C807, but if this doesn't work, what are my options, given that like guffdaddy I'm not too keen on soldering 6 pin chips. Where would I go? Is this likely to be an expensive job? Is there any chance World of Satellite would buy back a not working box as px for a new one? Or do World of Sat do repairs themselves? Any thoughts gratefully received.
 
Be half full, not half empty. Many people have fixed it. Provided you do not switch it on again until after repair, you should be OK.

Good luck.
 
Well, I removed the motherboard, soldered in a new capacitor, and it works! Thank you so much world-of-satellite - this is the internet at its best.
Removing the motherboard looks more scary than it is - in fact it's easier to put back together than it is to dismantle!
 
Just done my original duo and it worked 100% thanks for the guide :thumbsup:
 
Just repaired my broken down vu+duo as described here !
Didn't bother to take the motherboard out, but cut the old one out, and soldered the new one to the little pins sticking out...
Great & many thanks !
 
3 years and 3 months and it went last night. Slightly different symptoms in that the box froze 3 times straight after I power cycled. When I waited 20s then switched back on again the RLOD appeared. Fixed with the capacitor soldered to the snipped legs of the old one. Thanks for the help.
 
Soldering to old pins or legs might be wrong approach but it works ... I did this myself.

Sent from my HTC One
 

Similar threads

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top