Well i got the replacement kit from e-bay and took the regulator and set to a computer repair outfit in Hamilton (NZ) and they did the job promptly for $50 - not out of the way I thought. Anyway, the bad news.... still no go. Same sounds when turned on - sound of hard drive starting to spin, no fan. I replaced 807 - no different. Replaced 808... Now more noise like the drive spinning up properly and then a click (not traced) which gave me hope. Changed the third cap, and no further progress. Disconnected hard drive and no noises upon power up. tried to flash from usb stick, no joy. From reading all the associated posts, I think the power supply is still good, but should I replace those 4 x1500 cap? I'm afraid my next step is to buy a local commercial box and go with the crowds. If so, I'll bring the old box back to London next year and put it on e-bay - along with my other spare parts. Any other ideas welcome of course.