Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

VPS geht nicht

I've just added the patch again, and now epg/green shows the Enable VPS option=No, whether Enable VPS in the plugin is set to yes or no. :confused::confused:
 
Rob - as ccs says, you may want to switch off the VPS setting in the timer. In an AutoTimer, the option to use VPS is controllable.
 
Your two bullet points are correct. But that has been the case all along (in 5.4 since I started testing VPS), it's not a new phenomenon.
I know, which was why I was telling you all not to mention it.

ALL I'm trying to confirm at the moment is that the fix I have made works - which is ONLY to get the VPS entry to show up on manual timer (and instant records) which it was not doing previously (at 5.4. Please do NOT mention 5.3).
Of course now it is there is will exhibit the other problems.

I'm trying to solve the issues in small steps, so that I can commit individual PRs. (Even God apparently took 6 days to piece the universe together, not do it all in one go....)
 
Last edited:
What is the name of that variable.
I don't know, because it's not there. At least not that I can see.
But I'm proceeding through the known problems one at a time.
The next one I'm going to look at is why the VPS option doesn't show up when you have "Default On" set. My suspicion is that this is an incorrect use of the word Default. I reckon it makes more sense to always put the option in the menu and have the Default determine the starting value.
And whilst looking into this I may find out what the code is trying to do as, so far, I haven't had time to figure that out.
 
There are quite a number of issues with English translation from German(I presume) in the note for the plugin which makes the program description difficult to understand. It's possible the "Default On" setting in the VPS config menu means that the entry in the timer menu should read "VPS yes". It's difficult to ascertain or there is ambiguity in working out what the author actually meant. As regards the instant records, that has always offered the VPS option in 5.4 prior to any of your changes.
 
I've submitted a PR (well, two - one for master and another for dev) for this.
Code:
https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/pull/412
https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/pull/413
Now I can sit down with a listing and pen to sort out what this thinks it is doing.
 
I downloaded VPS from my ATV image and ran some tests. Manual timer entry has VPS option available and it saves it properly (Yes/No/Yes safe-mode). Actual recordings are as expected - start and stop on EIT programme boundaries in strict mode and obey user padding in safe-mode.
 
I downloaded VPS from my ATV image and ran some tests. Manual timer entry has VPS option available and it saves it properly (Yes/No/Yes safe-mode).
Yes.
I can believe that, given what I read ~2mins ago....

The VPS plugin traps a keyGo() function, which it expects to be called when a timer is saved, and this causes it to set things up to be put into the timer_xps.xml file.

However, the Timer refactoring code deprecated keyGo() in favour of keySave(). And whereas TimerEntryBase does re-route keyGo() calls to keySave(), the key-press in the menu is bound to keySave().
So currently the VPS menu entry code is skipped in Vix on saving the entry, which explains why it is ignored.

Should be(?) a trivial fix - keyGo() and keySave() have identical calling sequences - it's just a name change.

EDIT: Yes, it was trivial. And would have been even quicker had I not left in a failing debug line I added yesterday. My timers_vps.xml file is now being updated.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<vps_timers>
<timer begin="1613840400" end="1613841900" serviceref="1:0:19:A010:A000:233A:EEEE0000:0:0:0:" vps_enabled="1" vps_overwrite="1" vps_time="0">
</timer>
<timer begin="1613840401" end="1613841900" serviceref="1:0:1:1C00:104D:233A:EEEE0000:0:0:0:" vps_enabled="1" vps_overwrite="0" vps_time="0">
</timer>
</vps_timers>

EDIT2: PR submitted:
Code:
https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/pull/414
 
Last edited:
So can we agree that the fix does get the item back into the menu, but the following issues now exist:

  • The VPS option doesn't appear in the Timer Edit menu if the VPS plugin config is set to "enabled by default"
  • Changing the VPS option in the Timer Edit menu doesn't actually get set/stick in the timer
The latter seems to be the result of there being no code to actually pass on the change to the write-out function.
I've just fixed the latter of these. VPS timers are now saved.
Having done so I can't reproduce the former.

Whatever I set for "VPS enabled by default" shows up as the VPS setting for any newly-created timer. Of course, any exisiting timer will keep the setting it has when saved.
 
Thanks birdman - I'll test asap!


EDIT - Worked fine on a manual record, thanks birdman.
 
Last edited:
That seems to be working fine for a single recording from epg on 5.4.007 (release)
 
Also working fine on a single recording, autotimers also seem to have set correctly

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
 
Everything looks ok except the ability to setup an autotimer to use safe-mode.

The option can be set in the vps plugin, but neither epg/blue to create an autotimer, nor a change of autotimer defaults has the safe-mode choice, just yes or no.

Not sure what the plugin option actually achieves, manual timers need changing to safe-mode if that's what you want.
 
Everything looks ok except the ability to setup an autotimer to use safe-mode.

The option can be set in the vps plugin, but neither epg/blue to create an autotimer, nor a change of autotimer defaults has the safe-mode choice, just yes or no.

Not sure what the plugin option actually achieves, manual timers need changing to safe-mode if that's what you want.
I think safe or not is the next line in the autotimer - control recording completely by service

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
 
I haven't come across a situation where "safe-mode" is any different to normal recording with padding before and after an event. I suppose if an event start was delayed by (say) 10 minutes and your default padding after an event was (say) 5 minutes, then "safe-mode" should theoretically hold off the recording end for the 10 minutes. I just haven't seen that happen yet. I'm living dangerously with BBC/ITV/C4 recording and letting the broadcaster control the start/end :fart2:
 
I don't use safe mode as that doesn't seem to use the "look ahead" feature so is pretty pointless.
 
I think safe or not is the next line in the autotimer - control recording completely by service.

I'd tried that, but the timer(s) created just had Enable VPS=Yes (which could then be changed to safe-mode, but that's too late).
 
I don't use safe mode as that doesn't seem to use the "look ahead" feature so is pretty pointless.

It does use look ahead, but starts recording based on the original start time, so you get a recording even when it misses the now and next transition.

So channels which don't comply still work.
 
Last edited:

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top