Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

VU+ Duo won't fully boot

  • Thread starter Thread starter lscolman
  • Start date Start date
L

lscolman

Guest
Hi,

Just purchased a second hand Duo tonight, and am having problems getting it to boot. I bought it as a box to try and repair, so there's no returns.

The previous owners claims it was purchased from WOS, and I've just done all the research I can to ensure it is genuine. All the checks indicate it is an original box. It appears visually to be a genuine box.

The box boots up, and displays the picture fine, but the ViX logo just spins on whatever version of the software I load, ViX 2.0, 2.4, 3.0.

Just loaded the official vuplus firmware and it's exactly the same, just a spinning hour glass.

I've updated the bootloader to the most recent version.

Is there anything else I can try? I'm stumped.

Failing that, is there a recognised outlet that repairs these units? I'm checking with the sponsor to see if it is still under warranty.

Does anyone think it may be worth replacing the famous capacitor on the motherboard?

Cheers, Lee
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Have you tryed using the manufactures original image to see if the spinning logo show on there image, also have you when loading the image added any plugings which maybe causing the problem.
So you say you see the picture do you refer to the splash logo screen or are you able to watch channels, also does the receiver have any hdd attached if so disconnect and try to flash again with usb stick or null modem

I have details of a repair shop if you wish to use please pm me
 
Failing that, is there a recognised outlet that repairs these units? I'm checking with the sponsor to see if it is still under warranty.

I'm not saying that it will happen but please be aware that the sponsor or any retailer for that matter is no longer legally bound to uphold warranty repairs on items once they have left the possession of the original purchaser no matter if they are within the warranty period or not. in the uk this is upto the individual retailer to decide if he or she wants to choose to honour the warranty in these cases.
 
Hi,

Yes it's the splash screen that is viewable on all versions that's I flash. Ive tried a version from vuplus site, but still the same. No plugins as I can't get that far. No HDD, no flash drive, no Ethernet.

Cheers, Lee
 
Hi,

My current thinking is, can I drop the box back to an earlier set of drivers and subsequent build to see if it will boot?

I'm wondering if it's worth dropping back to the original ViX. The original builds contain a .nfi file. Can someone please explain how these are loaded? I purchased my first Vu+ box very early, but can't recall ever using these files?

I'm essentially looking to get the box back to base level (reverting back to original drivers). As I can't get access to the menu system, it will need to be done via flashing or some other technique. Any advice would be most appreciated.

The box appeared on my router IP list for a short time, and the first part of the MAC address matched that of my Ultimo and Uno, so I can confirm this box is genuine.

Cheers, Lee
 
Reposted, as I replied to the original post by mistake:-

Hi,

My current thinking is, can I drop the box back to an earlier set of drivers and subsequent build to see if it will boot?

I'm wondering if it's worth dropping back to the original ViX. The original builds contain a .nfi file. Can someone please explain how these are loaded? I purchased my first Vu+ box very early, but can't recall ever using these files?

I'm essentially looking to get the box back to base level (reverting back to original drivers). As I can't get access to the menu system, it will need to be done via flashing or some other technique. Any advice would be most appreciated.

The box appeared on my router IP list for a short time, and the first part of the MAC address matched that of my Ultimo and Uno, so I can confirm this box is genuine.

Cheers, Lee
 
All of the ViX images contain "original drivers". If you want to try a earlier driber set you just need to ftp them to the box then reboot ( making sure the dribers are for the correct kernel version etc ).

Or just load a older image as the kernel and drivers are built in and will be overwritten with the image.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
 
Had a try of a few other images last night. I managed to get original image 4.3 working and was able to connect and configure the box. Original image 5.4 just does the same as the other images, with the spinning hourglass.

Whilst it was booted up, I checked the mac address, and the first 6 digits match the marusys mac address range (same as my Ultimo and Uno), which leads me to think this is not a clone box. Visually it passes all the checks I've made based on information online, but still I can't get newer images to load.

I'm wondering if the flash memory is goosed, as the smaller images like 4.3 load fine, but as soon as you load a larger image the hourglass/ViX logo just spins.

Is there a way to take the box back to the initial bootloader now that I can get access to the box using original image 4.3 ? I'm thinking that some incorrect software may have been applied to the box by the previous owner and this has corrupted the bootloader.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Lee
 
The bootloader is fully backwards compatible with all new and old images. You can't downgrade the bootloader to my knowledge or not wothout j-tagging it at least.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
 
Hi,

Done a bit more investigation and playing with images. It won't accept images above original 5.0, Blackhole 1.33F. After this point there was a change in drivers in all releases.

- Separate gcc 4.4.3 version and 4.1.1 version

- Make screen blank when zapping
- Enhance tuning algorithm
- Support more mkv file formats.
- Fix occasional "no audio" problem in playback
- Fix "late audio play" problem in playback
- Support FF trick mode in playback
- Adjust memory allocation(Solo, needs a kernel update)
- Support DTS Passthrough(Solo)
- Fix vtuner frontend info

I believe it's this update that the box does not accept.

I still use the box on these earlier firmware versions, but appreciate if anyone is able to think outside the box and think of what could be preventing the update?

I've checked that the CFE update was done:-

root@bm750:~# cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 07600000 00020000 "rootfs"
mtd1: 00400000 00020000 "kernel"
mtd2: 00400000 00020000 "boot"
mtd3: 00100000 00020000 "cfe"
mtd4: 00080000 00020000 "mac"
mtd5: 00080000 00020000 "env"
mtd6: 00100000 00020000 "nvm"


Both mtd1 and mtd2 are the correct settings.

This is 100% not a clone box. The MAC address, visual inspection against known clones confirms this to be the case.

There are companies that offer repairs, but I would hope that someone on these forums can think of a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Lee
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Im having the exact same problem and wondered what are the older images you are using so I can try them, thanks.
 
Hi,

Images after these versions fail for me:-

Blackhole 1.33F
Original image 5.0
VTi 1.3

all from this page:-
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?412-VU-Duo-Images/page9

As mentioned there is a bootloader change in the next versions from August 2010 onwards. It appears to be this that is preventing the newer images working.

I've found a guide on the internet that allows you to reprogram a corrupt bootloader. It requires a piece of hardware and a bit of soldering skills. The hardware is only £7. I'm tempted to have a go at that, as I'm totally stumped as to what can be causing this?

I was hoping that someone on here could advise on a set of commands to issue in Telnet to check what could be wrong? I don't have another Vu+ Duo.

Another member has offered the details of a company that do repairs. I'm tempted to take them up on the offer.

Cheers, Lee
 
Hi mate

Workshop maybe better to test the program side of the receiver I recall my days using the kathrein 910 receiver which allowed users with good pc skills to medal with the boot program as i recovered mine on a number of occasions, strange how with this receiver not much has been done on the self diagnostic side i have only come across a few topics with regards to jtags etc to check what the boot loader is doing, and how to fix.
At least the repair shop will have the equipment and test programming to find the fault.
 
Hi ive now got mine to boot the latest images but ive lost Hdmi output going to test scart if I still have one.
 
Well its not totally resolved seeing as ive lost Hdmi signal. What I did was reflash the duo using Vti image 1.3 that all seemed to work fine till I rebooted it and it wouldn't start up so I thought ive got nothing to lose and downloaded a clone image of Vix 3.0.722 once flashed it booted up fine and I could go through the wizard using the display, I then decided to try the original Vix image and again I can set it up using the wizard on the display but still no hdmi, I can log into the box using ftp. Ive since used the latest version of blackhole and same results boots up but no hdmi so once ive got hold of a scart leads i'll try it with that. Only reason I tried the clone imageis because I read somewhere they alter the security settings in the software.
 
Well its not totally resolved seeing as ive lost Hdmi signal. What I did was reflash the duo using Vti image 1.3 that all seemed to work fine till I rebooted it and it wouldn't start up so I thought ive got nothing to lose and downloaded a clone image of Vix 3.0.722 once flashed it booted up fine and I could go through the wizard using the display, I then decided to try the original Vix image and again I can set it up using the wizard on the display but still no hdmi, I can log into the box using ftp. Ive since used the latest version of blackhole and same results boots up but no hdmi so once ive got hold of a scart leads i'll try it with that. Only reason I tried the clone imageis because I read somewhere they alter the security settings in the software.

Be aware we will not offer support to users who use none official ViX images. That includes backup images and so called clone friendly images alike.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
 
I'm not supporting clone machines or their software you asked me what I did so I told you, my duo is a genuine unit I wouldn't have mentioned clone images if you hadn't asked how i'd got it to boot. Sorry if I've done or mentioned something I shouldn't have.
 
I sent my box off for repair to vuplusltd.

They have replaced the motherboard for a very reasonable £70 inc postage back.

I've yet to test it, but hopefully this should have sorted the problem.

Thanks to the poster who advised sending it to them for repair.

Cheers, Lee
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top