Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Duo] What image are you using during vix period of instability

  • Thread starter Thread starter buz
  • Start date Start date
Thanks Regarto. Will a look when no one is watching the Tv!

I've got the plugin to run every 60mins as suggested.
 
I see some on OpenPLi forum are supposing the instability problem regarding the the new kernel is due to lack of memory and advise to run these two commands in telnet:

Code:
echo 8198 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes
echo 'vm.min_free_kbytes=8198' > /etc/sysctl.conf

Im not sure what these commands are doing exactly but I guess the purpose is to ensure suitable free memory. I have done it and my box with VIX 2.3.204 is running for 16 days today. Why not give it a try before downgrade to 2.3.133.

If anyone is going to try this (I know I am), it is worth noting that with the last command using a '>' will replace the contents of the file (mine already has three existing lines). If you want to keep the existing contents and add the information to the bottom of the existing file you should use '>>' instead.
 
In answer to the original question, after having multiple problems with the latest VIX versions, I've gone back to 2.2.1 and find it rock solid.
 
I tried latest Vix image on my DUO about 3-4 times and within the hour of install the box was falling over, sometimes striaght away... I switched back to a backup of VIX 2.3.133 with kernel 2.6.18 that I had before the clean upgrades and its not had one issue since (4 months now).

Are the Vix Beta Testers finding any issue like this on the test builds for the new image...

Strangely I have a SOLO thats being using the latest image in the same 4 months and not one single issue.
 
Are the Vix Beta Testers finding any issue like this on the test builds for the new image...

Obviuosly.. I can not speak for all beta testers.. and only speak for myself..

I have the latest Beta Vix on all 5 of my Vu+ and i have to say.. You guys will not be disapointed when the new release is available..

I have only had one crash.. On my Ultimo.. And it was not Vix related.. It was totally my own fault..

All i can say is.. It will be worth the wait..
 
As I've said many times before, anyone who is using latest ViX should re-initialize their HDD so it will be formatted EXT4, new kernel runs better with EXT4.
 
Only been 72 hours but been rock solid so far. I have added those lines and got the memclear ipk installed.

Will have to check and see what my settings are for my HDD and check its ext4. Does that go for your USB sticks too?

(I assume initialising it means you lose all data on the HDD?)
 
Cool thanks. One more newb question. Can I just pull the ts files off the hard drive to my pc and put them back after intializing the drive and play as normal?

Missus would not be happy if he Eastenders disappeared!
 
I much prefer ViX to BlackHole, just looks all around better. The small HDD bugs I experience are only on ViX though which is frustrating, for example if I pause I get a black screen for 1-2 seconds before it's actually paused whereas BlackHole pauses on the last thing that was shown on screen (which is the behaviour I would expect). And timeshifting jumps all over the place when I rewind/ff, can be really annoying, the time starts displaying thousands of minutes which clearly isn't right. And lastly, when I watch a movie that I've recorded every so often I have to rewind/ff to stop it skipping as well. This is all on an ext4 formatted HDD too, so it's not that.

If these issues were fixed it would be the best image hands down, as it is it's still the best image but with some pretty noticeable faults.
 
I much prefer ViX to BlackHole, just looks all around better. The small HDD bugs I experience are only on ViX though which is frustrating, for example if I pause I get a black screen for 1-2 seconds before it's actually paused whereas BlackHole pauses on the last thing that was shown on screen (which is the behaviour I would expect). And timeshifting jumps all over the place when I rewind/ff, can be really annoying, the time starts displaying thousands of minutes which clearly isn't right. And lastly, when I watch a movie that I've recorded every so often I have to rewind/ff to stop it skipping as well. This is all on an ext4 formatted HDD too, so it's not that.

If these issues were fixed it would be the best image hands down, as it is it's still the best image but with some pretty noticeable faults.

I never ever experience these problems and am using the latest Vix, and it is stabel with me maybe crashes once a week or less and thats cuase of my kids playing around with the remote i think, but am using Pli-Hd skin i like it, and its more stable than vix hd skin with me
 
Eventually went to Blackhole 1.7.3 for VU+ Duo.
Everything works very well, no crashes, picture better, and surprisingly it looks better than last editions thus i have chosen to keep using it
 
I am referring to the original fault since the kernel update where i did post but did not like some other's whom mentioned this fault got a reply.
I liked, well loved the vix image but since the latest one, nothing but crashes, tuner errors, recording issues.
No biggie, not stressing about it, but i chose to use the bh latest image and happy with it as not giving me the issues i have suffered in latest vix.
And i can from seeing with my own eyes using same tv but with bh installed, the slicing issues, sharpened edges do not appear.
no recording issues and tuner error warnings appear.
So to me a better picture and all round image.
I am entitled to say and give my opinion, not to be looked down on if i choose to use a non vix image which i feel i/others get if they mention as such.
Like i say i loved the vix image, was simple and easy to use and very good until the kernel update and latest image introduced to co-inside with the new kernel.
Yes i am looking forward to the new image and like other's i do not choose to leave useless post mithering with, "it is ready" or "due out", as i simply find what work's for me after reading and thus the above post which this thread was made for so we can let's other know hwy we use a certain image.
Best wishes
 
.....I am entitled to say and give my opinion, not to be looked down on if i choose to use a non vix image which i feel i/others get if they mention as such....
You're absolutely free to choose any image you like. Of course! That's the advantage of having a lot of choice to pick from.
But differences in picture quality simply don't exist. If you see them it's either between the ears or due to using 'picture enhancers', which you should never do.
 
If im using a ET9000 with latest vix, am i able to sample other images? as im sure i read somewere on here once kernel changed i cant go to any other image!!

Thanks for any info
 
Hi rob,
Nothing as changed in between my ears, i can assure you.
There again the wife drives me nuts sometimes, so debatable :rolleyes:
I do not use any enhancers etc and made no changes to the tv or viewing options merely only the image.
best wishes
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top