Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Duo] What image are you using during vix period of instability

  • Thread starter Thread starter buz
  • Start date Start date
Still using latest VIX - it's really not that unstable for me. Tried SIFteam Koala and it fell over numerous times.
 
I am using ViX-2.3.133 for me it was the last 100% stable ViX image.
Nowi am just waiting to try the new one when its ready sure they are working hard on all the stability problems that some of us seem to have.
 
Blackhole 1.7.3 for VU+ Duo, very stable so far but missing Vix, hope we get a new Vs soon.
 
I am using ViX-2.3.133 for me it was the last 100% stable ViX image.
Nowi am just waiting to try the new one when its ready sure they are working hard on all the stability problems that some of us seem to have.

Is that a common theme? Installed Vix when I bought my Vu+ Duo a couple of weeks ago with latest version. Missus is not impressed with the instability.

Wonder if its worth me downgrading? (dont want to try a different image as that will confuse/frustrate here even more!)

If so do I just flash the old kernal (2.6.18) then install Vix (2.3.133) to downgrade properly?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a common theme? Installed Vix when I bought my Vu+ Duo a couple of weeks ago with latest version. Missus is not impressed with the instability.

Wonder if its worth me downgrading? (dont want to try a different image as that will confuse/frustrate here even more!)

If so do I just flash the old kernal (2.6.18) then install Vix (2.3.133) to downgrade properly?
I see some on OpenPLi forum are supposing the instability problem regarding the the new kernel is due to lack of memory and advise to run these two commands in telnet:

Code:
echo 8198 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes
echo 'vm.min_free_kbytes=8198' > /etc/sysctl.conf

Im not sure what these commands are doing exactly but I guess the purpose is to ensure suitable free memory. I have done it and my box with VIX 2.3.204 is running for 16 days today. Why not give it a try before downgrade to 2.3.133.
 
Yes there seems to be some form of memory leak affecting Duo's running linux kernel 3.1.1 images ( the image is not important just the kernel version ).

you can try running the following plugin in ViX 2.3-204 to see if it helps.
 
Yes there seems to be some form of memory leak affecting Duo's running linux kernel 3.1.1 images ( the image is not important just the kernel version ).

you can try running the following plugin in ViX 2.3-204 to see if it helps.

I see some on OpenPLi forum are supposing the instability problem regarding the the new kernel is due to lack of memory and advise to run these two commands in telnet:

Code:
echo 8198 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes
echo 'vm.min_free_kbytes=8198' > /etc/sysctl.conf

Im not sure what these commands are doing exactly but I guess the purpose is to ensure suitable free memory. I have done it and my box with VIX 2.3.204 is running for 16 days today. Why not give it a try before downgrade to 2.3.133.

Thanks both. I presume both do a similar thing.

Will this be a temporary fix? Will I have to do a regular clean to keep the memory free and prevent crashes? Would once a week work for example?

Im looking forward as we all are to the new Vix image that is being worked on so hard. :thumbsup:
 
To be honest i have never needed to use the above plugin as my Vu+ Duo has always been rock solid, The memory leak only appears to affect a small number of random Vu+ Duo's using the Linux 3.1.1 kernel. give it a try and see if it helps.
 
Using a ET9000 running on latest VIX never had any issues ;)

How ever i wouldnt mind trying another image as ive always used VIX but im sure i read somewere once ive upgraded the Kernel i cant go back to any other images?

Be good if i could so i could have a play around with my box a bit more trying other images out ie clarketechs etc etc

Please quote me if im wrong..
 
Thanks for confirming Rob Van. Have run the telnet commands. (I think. Never done it before. Logged in and got root@vuduo. Entered commands. Should anything say its completed?)

Installed the ipk too. Install really slowed the system down and it took a while to reboot after it was completed. However all seems to be running fine now and seen a bit of a speed difference.

Will wait and see if it makes any difference to the stability....
 
Thanks for confirming Rob Van. Have run the telnet commands. (I think. Never done it before. Logged in and got root@vuduo. Entered commands. Should anything say its completed?)

Installed the ipk too. Install really slowed the system down and it took a while to reboot after it was completed. However all seems to be running fine now and seen a bit of a speed difference.

Will wait and see if it makes any difference to the stability....
Take a look in the file /etc/sysctl.conf. The commands are successfully executed if the last line in the file is "vm.min_free_kbytes=8198". The commands are executed one single time and are not supposed to be repeated. I guess you dont need to run the ClearMem plugin on top.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top