Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Accessibility in linux receivers

Clemente

Member
Joined
May 2, 2018
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Hello, I have a totally blind friend very involved in satellite TV (and computer in general). He uses Windows and MacOS from many years (most recently iOS and TVOS, too) thanks to specific screenreaders available for most platforms (JAWS and NVDA in Windows, VoiceOver in MacOS and portable Apple devices). But what about enigma2? He uses standard non-linux satellite receivers from years, but linux is a different story (and a big issue for him). The problem is complex and variable onscreen receiver menus, very difficult to use without viewing TV screen. Connecting the box to computer is not an issue for my friend, so he can FTP files, viewing receiver folder, read/write/edit settings.... all this using common Windows PC. But, for example, once a plugin is transfered to /tmp folder, it becomes very difficult for him to use remote control to install it in the receiver. As I know, a linux-based screenreader called ORCA is available, but we absolutely do not know if it could be installed on any enigma2 platform. Please note that I and my friend have very poor linux knowledge. My friend's goal would be having a "voice guide" in his linux satellite receiver, like Apple Voiceover or similar (as I said, he uses flawlessly AppleTV and other Apple devices). Please note that some new Sony and LG television set includes such accessible user interface. Sony developed a proprietary one, LG uses WebOS. Do you think it could be possible make evaluation for VIX team? We just contacted other enigma2 developing teams in the past, but unfortunately we received no reply, or polite but unuseful replies.... bad luck. Any possible suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
Hi,
search for "DareDevil enigma2" it was a project several years ago. You might have to use google translate because quite a bit will be in German.

ciao
 
Hi, thank you for suggestion. I do not know this project, now I make search then I will post feedback here.
 
Hi, just read carefully that thread using google translator. Well, it's very interesting, but it's too old I'm afraid (between 2011 and 2012), and it was developed only for dreambox. Also, I suspect it was a non-finished job. At the end of that long thread, oozoon board is mentioned but I did not find nothing there. It seems that plugin was made just for reading banners during normal channel zapping and something in EPG, but not receiver menus, settings, blue panel and so on. Anyway, nice to know someone began to consider this topic. My question is: do you think this topic could have new development? Could VIX team be interesting in it? Thank you very much for your help.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top