Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Uno4KSE] Cannot configure network on this box.

Yeah, I set it to write logs to the HDD and then just used filebrowser to copy it to the USB.

With regards your other questions, the LAN light is flickering away quite happily and my router shows what's in the attached image. Is it possible that the IP is getting assigned after that section of the log has been written?



Cable should be fine because it's connected where my Duo2 used to sit and I have also had a 10 metre cable attached to test as well plus I tried a wifi dongle. Yeah, bought it from the sponsor last year.


Ok, so your router has assigned 1.16 to the SE. Can you ping it at this address? Go to the SE and photo the network adapter settings. Or use a browser and navigate to the address, You should be able to screenshot any of the menu pages. The main network settings on the Uno should show what the box has been assigned as regards IP address, gateway, DNS etc.
 
Yes, I have a reserved range set for DHCP which handles my phones, tablet and Sonos player. Depending on what has been allocated, the box can get either 11 or something from 14 onwards usually.
So 22 is not part of your DHCP range? That sounds a very small range.

I set mine to 154, which is well outside my DHCP range (10 to 49).
 
So 22 is not part of your DHCP range? That sounds a very small range.
My range is set from 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.19, I only have my LightwaveRF Wifi Link, Sonos and my Redmi phone that needs a DHCP IP address so there didn't seem any reason to use more than that. Fixed allocations start at 20 and certain device types get their own ranges of 10 IP addresses.

The main network settings on the Uno should show what the box has been assigned as regards IP address, gateway, DNS etc.

This seems to be where the problem lies. Using DHCP on the 4K SE, that page is never getting the IP assigned etc... and yet when my Duo2 is set to DHCP, that same page is populated with settings correctly. The Duo 2 is immediately assigned 15 and gets this as a Ping response:

Code:
Pinging 192.168.1.15 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.15: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.15: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.15: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.15: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.15:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 47ms, Maximum = 78ms, Average = 64ms

It looks like the 4K SE isn't requesting an IP address when set to DHCP or if it is, it isn't being given one. I don't understand why that would be when every other device requesting one is getting one fine. Could this be a chipset fault with the box, where it's just not handling anything network related properly?

Although saying that it didn't seem to work with the wifi dongle plugged in either and yet when I plug that dongle into something else, it works fine.
 
Last edited:
Okay... if you imagine someone old and dumb, that's me right now, this is truly shame worthy. :(

My Lightwave RF box has been sat there flashing for quite a while now and it does quite often because LightwaveRF servers are flaky sometimes, so I thought nothing of it. Then I thought "I wonder if my BR player is still okay?", boots up player, goes to Network, notices odd values, sets proper values, connection test... Can't Connect.

So my downstairs setup is a patch cable from a wall socket into a LAN switch, all the cables were fine into the switch and the switch lights were flashing away as they normally do, touched the cable into the wall socket and hear... click! Test the connection on the BR player again... Connection OK.

Restart network on 4K SE > Adapter settings... 192.168.1.12, Download plugins... gets list of plugins.

I am really sorry for all this hassle but it just never even occured to me that a cable would have become dislodged because the Duo 2 had been fine. Or maybe it was my misunderstanding about Cross EPG and Autoboquetmaker being network based that made me think that. I guess at least I have dodged the bullet of returning my box and them finding nothing wrong, which would have cost me money as well as making me look stupid.

It just makes me so sad and angry... 40 years as a software/game dev, teach myself 10+ programming languages, more than 60 commercial releases and hundreds of apps and game mods, now gets caught out by a loose cable.

If someone wants to close this then please do so.
 
Okay... if you imagine someone old and dumb, that's me right now, this is truly shame worthy. :(

My Lightwave RF box has been sat there flashing for quite a while now and it does quite often because LightwaveRF servers are flaky sometimes, so I thought nothing of it. Then I thought "I wonder if my BR player is still okay?", boots up player, goes to Network, notices odd values, sets proper values, connection test... Can't Connect.

So my downstairs setup is a patch cable from a wall socket into a LAN switch, all the cables were fine into the switch and the switch lights were flashing away as they normally do, touched the cable into the wall socket and hear... click! Test the connection on the BR player again... Connection OK.

Restart network on 4K SE > Adapter settings... 192.168.1.12, Download plugins... gets list of plugins.

I am really sorry for all this hassle but it just never even occured to me that a cable would have become dislodged because the Duo 2 had been fine. Or maybe it was my misunderstanding about Cross EPG and Autoboquetmaker being network based that made me think that. I guess at least I have dodged the bullet of returning my box and them finding nothing wrong, which would have cost me money as well as making me look stupid.

It just makes me so sad and angry... 40 years as a software/game dev, teach myself 10+ programming languages, more than 60 commercial releases and hundreds of apps and game mods, now gets caught out by a loose cable.

If someone wants to close this then please do so.

Don,t worry…it happens to us all.
….and you let people know the issue, some people just disappear from the forum and you have no idea if something was fixed…or not
 
It just makes me so sad and angry... 40 years as a software/game dev, teach myself 10+ programming languages, more than 60 commercial releases and hundreds of apps and game mods, now gets caught out by a loose cable.

If someone wants to close this then please do so.

Every day is a learning day ;) Glad you were able to resolve it in the end. I retired after 35 years in banking IT and spent the following years playing with various bits of "internet of things" devices and satellite receivers and still learn stuff all the time - keeps the mind young!
No need to close this. Someone will find it in times to come and see the resolution.
 
I am not going to drag this thread on but this is just a quick addition to say, I was wrong... this turned out to not be a loose cable problem.

I lost the network again today and removing, replacing cables seemed to work, then it didn't. Switching ports on my network switch seemed to work, then it didn't. Switching to DHCP didn't work until I did a GUI restart, then it did... so it could be a dying network switch, it has been running 24/7 for around 12 years now so it's possible. I need to buy a crossover cable to bypass my switch because of how the wall socket is wired, so I will have to wait for that.

The more I thought about it, the loose cable theory didn't make sense with the wifi fail and the 10 metre cable fail. I suspect that reseating the cable simply kicked the network port back into life and caused it to work for a short period of time, then it failed again. I have noticed then when it does stop working, the light on my network switch goes out, which means no traffic is passing through that port.

But as I now know this isn't a configuration issue, I don't need to chase advice here, so I will now let the thread go silent.

Thanks again for all the help. :thumbsup:
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top