Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[ViX_Misc] Debug logs time format

Any chance of making this the default, most crash logs are being posted without this setting, but this format is so much easier to read.
No. The added text on the left make logs harder to read due to the need to sideways scroll.
 
Last edited:
No. The added text on the left make logs harder to read due to the need to sideways scroll.

Crikey, never expected that as a reason, still, I don't need to waste my time learning how to submit a pull request.
 
Please explain what help you think it is to debugging having clock output at the start of every line.
 
I live in "real time", not "number time", so I can see in the logs when something happened without any guesswork.
You're able to see if the log corresponds to what a poster is saying without the need to find time updates. Even then it isn't easy.
If someone says a timer didn't start at 19:00 or a cronjob doesn't work, you can get there straight away.
Same with autotimer, you can see when it ran.
Keypresses can be difficult to pinpoint, but in real time you can tie them in with other activity.
Regular error messages might as well be random error messages without the clock.

I use notepad++ to view logs, I reckon 90% of lines don't need scrolling, and probably 99% of those lines that do only need scrolling if there is something significant to view.
But it sounds like I'm the only one who finds them useful, and 99% of the rest of us probably don't even know you can switch the clock on.
 
I spend a lot of the time debug‘ing especially at the moment and the ability to run without any time stamp is a real positive, means I can run side by side comparisons... so by default my setting is option 0.
 
I spend a lot of the time debug‘ing especially at the moment and the ability to run without any time stamp is a real positive, means I can run side by side comparisons... so by default my setting is option 0.

That's you analysing your debug logs, how you do that is fine, but that's not what happens when Mr Average posts a debug log.

It's a pointless discussion anyway, the decision has already been taken.
 
I spend a lot of the time debug‘ing especially at the moment and the ability to run without any time stamp is a real positive, means I can run side by side comparisons... so by default my setting is option 0.

You are not using the default or proposed, so you are not affected. Anyway, for people who want to compare difference in log output, I attach different layout of debug logs.

Not as if many people will know how to convert the timestamps, so boot time on its own is useless barring a few people. The decision has been made, so that's that. Should there be a change in position, my suggestion is now to make default = local time. Number of characters is the same!

Edit:
For easier comparison

Code:
[B]Boot[/B]
<136448.3578> [eDVBServicePMTHandler] tune failed.

[B]Local time[/B]
16:36:12.4169 [eDVBServicePMTHandler] tune failed.

[B]Boot + local time[/B]
<  1589.0473> 16:59:53.7282 [eDVBServicePMTHandler] tune failed.
 
Last edited:
I spend a lot of the time debug‘ing especially at the moment and the ability to run without any time stamp is a real positive, means I can run side by side comparisons...
Stripping them out is trivial.
And if you're comparing them you already have copies, so a quick awk command solves your problem on those occasions when you need it.
 
Stripping them out is trivial.
And if you're comparing them you already have copies, so a quick awk command solves your problem on those occasions when you need it.

Why strip them if you can just turn them off?
 
Why strip them if you can just turn them off?

My debug logs have them switched on, so you (or whoever) would perhaps need to strip them off.

Code:
		("0", _("none")),
		("1", _("boot time")),
		("2", _("local time")),
		("3", _("boot time and local time")) ])

Maybe make "3" "local time and boot time", then a simple scroll right (or is it left?) will eliminate the local time for anyone who wants to.
 
How does changing default prevent others from turning the stamps off or using any format they want?
 
it sounds like I'm the only one who finds them useful
No, I use local time only in my debug logs too. It makes it much easier to ensure I'm looking at the correct debug output from a test run in the console. If I'm looking at performance, then I chuck a profile trace around the code I'm interested in (using Tools/Trace.py) and filter the debug output using grep.
 
Why strip them if you can just turn them off?
Because you then might wish to know what they were in retrospect, but can't.
Having something you can remove is much better than not having something you can't add.
 
Ok, well set your boxes up how you want them. That is why this is a user option.
 
How does changing default prevent others from turning the stamps off or using any format they want?

Missed this, I was posting at the same time.

Nothing to stop others from changing the timestamp to whatever they want.

Lots of users don't even know what a crashlog is until they're asked to attach one, so they always end up with the default setting.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top