Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[TIVIAR-ALPHA+] Freeview Tuner doesn't show Freeview channels

These are the combinations of mux's you could be getting, you should be able to work out if you're receiving from more than one transmitter...

Code:
                psb1  psb2    com1    psb3    com2    com3

Caldbeck	  25	28      23	30	26	29		
Caldbeck Scotland 27	24		22					
Dumfries South	  43	46		50						
Thornhill	  57	60		53

When watching live tv (freeview), press ok twice and then channel up/down. You should see which CHannel is being used. (Maybe skin dependent)
 
Last edited:
You can ONLY get what your local transmitter mast is transmitting. Different transmitter masts may/will be transmitting different regional programs. Each mast may only have a range of 30 to 50Km, assuming no hills or mountains in the way.



Possibly yes but you do need to check the direction/bearing of your aerial. If it is pointing at, say, Dumfries South then setting Caldbeck will result in the wrong frequencies being scanned. However Caldbeck also seems to have a very limited service on "Caldbeck Scotland" (maybe something like the non-english language channel, Glaswegian etc.)



Is the Calbeck setting in this section of tuning been kept up-to date or is it just a legacy setting that may be wrong? Transmitter frequencies have changed over the past year or so.



So maybe your plugin is scanning all posible frequencies and picking up signals from distant transmitters that will give you low signal levels and very poor reception. Ideally you need just to scan from your local transmitter and not just use a scatter gun approach.



Try ABM and only with your inbuilt tuner and with no splitters

Tuner Type: DVB-T2
Configuration Mode: Enabled
Country: UK
Region: Change to "United Kingdom, all regions Europe DVB-T/T2)"
Enable 5V for active antenna: Off
Press Green to Save.

menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> autobouquetmaker -> providers ->
Freeview UK =yes
Region = Calbeck England (there is a Calbeck Scotland setting but that only covers a couple of MUXs and not the full range of programs)
FTA only = yes
Create main bouquet = yes
Say no to all the other options until you test this.


then
menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> autobouquetmaker -> start scan


If this works you have something wrong in the settings or drivers that you have previously been trying to use.
If it doesn't check the direction of your aerial.

I did that.

What is the menu I'm supposed to check to find the channels after I do all that? Do I go to Favourites > Terrestrial?
I did that and still can't see BBC Four HD there. I also tried to see if Thornhill was an option but it isn't listed. So Calbeck seems to be my only option, is that correct?

Is there any way my aerial could have changed direction? I used to set the tuner to "United Kingdom, all regions Europe DVB-T/T2" and it worked then so I'm not sure why it's not working now.

How do I find out what way my aerial is pointing? I checked that link I was given and it doesn't help. I don't have a compass on me. How do I know what way is North or South?
 
Last edited:
You must have some idea where N/S is? Have a look for the sun setting this evening around 7 - that will be roughly west and you should be able to figure the rest out.

The channels scanned in wont end up in your favourites unless you put them there.

Bring up your bouquet list. Press the green button (satellites). Near the top of the list you should see "Terrestrial - Services". In there will be all terrestrial services that you have scanned in
 
It's really cloudy where I live at the moment so I can't see the sun. I have a flat aeriel type. I looked in Terrestrial Services and BBC Four HD isn't there.
 
It's really cloudy where I live at the moment so I can't see the sun. I have a flat aeriel type. I looked in Terrestrial Services and BBC Four HD isn't there.

Just look at which way your neighbours aerials are pointing.
 
I did that.

What is the menu I'm supposed to check to find the channels after I do all that? Do I go to Favourites > Terrestrial?

It will only be in Favourites if you manually put it there
Try pressing the TV button on the remote and check what is in the "Last Scanned" bouquet.

I did that and still can't see BBC Four HD there.

Do you still receive PBS America, BBC NewsHD, ForcesTV, QuestHD, CbbebiesHD? If so BBC4 HD is on the same MUX so it if you get the channels mentioned you will also get BBC4HD.

. So Calbeck seems to be my only option, is that correct?

Only you can tell us that. Surely it is simple to estimate if an aerial is generally pointing north or south and easy to see if an aerial is polorised horizontally or vertically as per the pictures in a previous post in this thread.

Is there any way my aerial could have changed direction?

Yes, but usually in the downwards direction off the roof as a result of a storm. Are you getting zero Freeview channels or just missing some?

I used to set the tuner to "United Kingdom, all regions Europe DVB-T/T2" and it worked then so I'm not sure why it's not working now.

If that is what you had that should still be the valid setting now. The MUXs on which the programs are broadcast change frequencies from time to time often as a result to clear out anything above 700MHz so that bands can be used for the mobile phone network. If the MUX broadcast frequency changes then a re-scan is needed to find them again.

How do I find out what way my aerial is pointing? I checked that link I was given and it doesn't help. I don't have a compass on me. How do I know what way is North or South?

Just go to Google maps, type in your postcode, zoom into your house. North point up on the map, south points down on the map. Go outside and look at your aerial - which way does it point?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...e03d7becf9eb6a2!8m2!3d55.0627786!4d-3.5813055
 
Thornhill doesn't appear to get bbc4 hd

Code:
https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/THORNHILL

Caldbeck does....

Code:
https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Caldbeck/
 
I zoomed into street view on Google Maps and took a screenshot. My aerial is still mounted correctly.

Aerial Direction New.webp

Ignore the attachments below. I'm referring to the images above. First image is my house. My aerial seems to be a bit weird as shown by my drawing. It's a horizontally-polarised aerial but it's got a vertical bit near the end but not on the end.

I checked the house opposite me and my neighboor and they have an aerial like my second photo and drawing. Also shown is the Google map direction meter shown when I was looking directly at the front of my house.

I assume the vertical bit is the short end and the long horizontal end indicates the direction the aerial is pointing? If so, then it seems my aerial is pointing East-South. Is that correct?

What should I do now to get Freeview working?
 

Attachments

  • Aerial Direction.webp
    Aerial Direction.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Aerial Direction.webp
    Aerial Direction.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Terrestrial Scan plugin creates a Terrestrial bouquet. If you are now using ABM to create bouquets for Terrestrial services, delete the Terrestrial bouquet.
 
Both photos of the aerials are of such poor resolution it's impossible to tell if that is a picture of the back or front of your aerial and without a decent picture of the aerial the little directional icon just tells me that it is either pointing sse or nnw - so back to square one. The photo resolution is too low to show the elements onyour neighbours aerial to determine how its polarised and even with photo enhancements its impossible to determine how the reflector is polarised.

You appear to have a different design of aerial to that of your neighbour and your obsevation about a vertical element is possible just a different mounting bracket. but again you photo doesn't show this.
 
A satellite view of your property using google maps should show you which direction your aerial is pointing.
 
A satellite view of your property using google maps should show you which direction your aerial is pointing.

That WAS a satellite view from Google maps where I copied a photo from. I don't have a camera to get a better photo. If you can get a better photo from Google Maps then please try.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your house is facing NW and your aerial appears to be pointing SE. Its pointing at Caldbeck (138 degrees)
 
Last edited:
... it was a street view, not a satellite view - I'd delete your address if I were you.
 
Your house is facing NW and your aerial appears to be pointing SE. Its pointing at Caldbeck (138 degrees)

If it is the house with the red car in the drive then yes, the aerial is pointing SE, its horizontally polarised and appears to be OK. I cannot see anything towards the centre of the aerial apart from the normal mounting bracket. However how old is the street view? Is the aerial still intact as the neighbours aerial appears to be failing with a chimney mounting bracket not strong enough for the length of pole being used and the pole is no longer vertical. If the poster is now seeing something different on his aerial to the photo below then maybe it has been damaged by the weather.

aerial.webp
 
Last edited:
... it was a street view, not a satellite view - I'd delete your address if I were you.

There was was a post code posted earlier in the thread - I then just looked for the house in the photo.
 
Which method of "scanning" do you want to use?

Enigma2 scanning
AutoBouquetsMaker plugin
Terrestrial Scan plugin

Are the other helpers willing to assist OP in the chosen method or will they post different methods?
 
Which method of "scanning" do you want to use?

Enigma2 scanning
AutoBouquetsMaker plugin
Terrestrial Scan plugin

I don't mind. Terrestrial Scan doesn't seem to have an option for selecting which transmitter (such as Caldbeck) to use. Is there something I'm missing? Or do I just set it to Caldbeck, Cumbria in the Tuner Config? I did that then did a Terrestrial scan of Europe UHF/VHF on my freeview tuner.

I then pressed the Green button for Satellites and went to Terrestrial Services and all the chanels have the aerial icon. BBC Four HD and BBC Two HD aren't listed for example. I only see two HbbTV BBC TWO HD channels listed which don't have a picture. Same issue that happened before.

My aerial is polorised horizontally and is pointing SE at Caldbeck.

I was told before "Terrestrial Scan plugin creates a Terrestrial bouquet. If you are now using ABM to create bouquets for Terrestrial services, delete the Terrestrial bouquet". How do I delete it? I thought ABM only makes bouquets for the bouquets in the Favourites section? It doesn't effect what channels appear via the green button Satellites menu does it?
 
ABM makes ABM bouquets

Terrestrial scan just makes a bouquet called "Terrestrial".

They both work differently. They both do not use Terrestrial.xml file. They both do not care or use the selection in tuner configuration other than validate type of tuner.

Whichever method you use, services will be added to Lamedb.

It is no point suggestion A being given, somebody else suggests B and you do C. Please decide which method you want to use and people will help you. In my opinion, best you follow one process at a time. If that doesn't work and you have exhausted the various options for that method you then try a different process without going back to the first one.

You can delete a bouquet by highlighting it, press menu, select the delete option.
 
Last edited:
Please also forget HBBTV. You are confusing things and yourself by mentioning irrelevant things.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top