Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[GiGaBlue UHD QUAD 4K] GB UHD Output Resolution

CRMS

Forum Supporter
Donated Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2020
Messages
339
Reaction score
2
Points
18
So playing around with the Mehanik HDR test files which are 3840 x 2160 and HDR. The GB is set to output to 2160p and a HDFury Vertex2 gives the output specs from the GB.
I've noted that only 4K60 mp4 files are output from the GB at 4K. 4K24 mp4 files are output at 1920. The projector info confirms the resolution is 1920 rather than the mp4 files native 3840. Same with GB connected directly to Vertex" or pass through the AVR.
The all the TV signals are output at 4K50, irrespective of native resolution.
No doubt someone knows the reason??
 
Some of the MP4 files in that package use the H265 codec, some correctly use H264.
Is there any pattern as to which play at wrong resolution?

I would guess problems are more likely due to the GB Linux kernel than to OpenVIX.
 
If the drivers are able to play 4K60 mp4 files as output from the GB at 4K then I don't see it as a Giga driver issue - run with debug log and then see which modules are involved and msgs posted about video/audio handling
 
I had a similar issue with 1080p24 files on my sf8008 - they always played at 720p unless I manually selected the correct resolution. i cant remember if there was an issue with 4096p24. No such problems now on my h7s
 
>H265 codec, some correctly use H264.

Just checking using VLC, but all seem to be H265.
The 4K60 which does play at 4K is H265.
The 4K24 which only plays at 2K24 is also H265.
No sign of any H264 codec.
 
Last edited:
My understanding is that MP4 files are not supposed to use H265 which should really be stored in, say, MKV filles instead.
But I think that's unlikely to be related to your problem.
 
I had a similar issue with 1080p24 files on my sf8008 - they always played at 720p unless I manually selected the correct resolution. i cant remember if there was an issue with 4096p24. No such problems now on my h7s

That's weird. My H7S is really flaky at playing back video files that aren't .ts files.
Some work fine, a few play but really really jerkily and many just crash the player so that I have to ssh in and reboot it before I can get anything but black screen and silence out of it again.
 
My understanding is that MP4 files are not supposed to use H265 which should really be stored in, say, MKV filles instead.
But I think that's unlikely to be related to your problem.
I've done some Googling and it seems I'm incorrect about this.
 
I converted various H265 mp4 files to H264 which all worked. But resolution 720*576/52i.
Seems that 265 is a newer covec but smaller files with more loss of detail and more smoothing.
 
AIUI if you start from the same high quality original you should in general be able to make an H265 file close to the same quality as an H264 file that's around twice it's size.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top