Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Gigablue 4K receivers and USB tuners

always Q,s about usb tuners on Gigablue and no good answer …. Their answer could be that they supply a T2 tuner so why not buy that?
 
always Q,s about usb tuners on Gigablue and no good answer …. Their answer could be that they supply a T2 tuner so why not buy that?
Unfortunately for North America, we have ATSC, so USB tuners are often necessary here. For years they have had very limited support on some Enigma2 receivers because the required driver and vtuner work was never completed.

Today I have two USB ATSC tuners connected to my GigaBlue UE 4K and both are working as well as on any other Enigma2 receiver.

It would be useful if someone could test the solution by installing an image and seeing whether it works. If it does not, a good debug log would help finish the work and produce a properly verified patch.

The solution should also apply to the Vu+ Duo 4K Lite. Anyone testing should be prepared for image recovery if necessary, as I can only verify boot and operation on the GigaBlue UE 4K at present.

About 200 lines of code were changed or added, including debugging.

Shown below is my GigaBlue UE 4K watching one ATSC terrestrial channel while recording another ATSC channel. Now the receiver is more useful to me.

1_0_1_6_325_0_EEEE0000_0_0_4_20260926223432.webp
 
@el bandido - so I have all the gugablue boxes including Pro and the Lite, but no usb tuner.
If I can get my hands on one (I assume T2 ?) then maybe I can test your code but probably for next week tied up with other personal issues. It doesn,t help that T2 is pretty crap around here.
 
always Q,s about usb tuners on Gigablue and no good answer …. Their answer could be that they supply a T2 tuner so why not buy that?

Yes I did buy one and it arrived about 1 hour after my last post!
The good news is, it is working perfectly.
I have had 3 other USB sticks plus a Playstation 3 TV dual tuner and all worked great on my vuplus boxes in the past.
The WinTV DUALHD DVB-T/T2 tuner would not work on my vuplus duo because of the kernel and that's why I bought the GigaBlue. I also checked with AI to see if it would work before I purchased the GigaBlue and AI said it would. Now I know you can't trust AI.
 
@el bandido - so I have all the gugablue boxes including Pro and the Lite, but no usb tuner.
If I can get my hands on one (I assume T2 ?) then maybe I can test your code but probably for next week tied up with other personal issues. It doesn,t help that T2 is pretty crap around here.
No worries. I can find someone else to test it who is better suited in the usb T2 tuner reception department. The repair is solid. Thanks though. Appreciate it.
 
At the bottom of this reply is a temporary link to a current GigaBlue UE 4K (gbue4k) home built OpenVix image that has usb tuner support. I have tested this image using Hauppauge ATSC tuners 850 and 950 at the same time (2 usb tuners installed). I also briefly installed a TBS 5925 and got it to return channels on one transponder. The TBS 5925 was problematic and removed. This particular TBS 5925 has been problematic in other receivers/images.

As a caveat, I also found a way to get the DVB-S2X PNP tuners to satellite blindscan, which surprisingly turns out to be very decent and recognizes correctly DVB-S2x transponders.

The image in the link is connected to a feeds server. Please test DVB-T/T2 tuners and any other usb tuner devices that are supported in the feeds. What works? What doesn't? Are there any errors? What about recording? Watching one tuner while recording another? etc....

While I have tested extensively the image in the link, I bear no responsibility for what this image does or does not do to a receiver. As always, load images at your own risk! Thanks.

md5sum = 89bfe8ddaac8f7ea26f76282226dc8e3 openvix-6.9.003.release-gbue4k_usb.zip

 
I installed the dib-0700 drivers and connected a Sony PlayTV USB tuner. I disabled the pnp tuner and rebooted. Using the pre-scanned data it showed a picture. I scanned to make sure it was able to scan, it found the 167 DVB-T channels.

It is working for me. Many thanks. Hopefully your code modification will be shared.

I then installed the Sundtek tuner, that still did not work.
 
The Gigablue and USB tuners thread is here:
Thanks Abu for that Gigablue thread - Pity I didn't see that before I bought my Gigablue - It would have saved me a lot of hassle and time.

Andy_Hazza was correct - No solution any time soon.
 
Thanks Abu for that Gigablue thread - Pity I didn't see that before I bought my Gigablue - It would have saved me a lot of hassle and time.

Andy_Hazza was correct - No solution any time soon.
Did you not see on the last post of that thread that @abu baniaz tested the experimental image that @el bandido built and got the DVB-T channels working with the Play TV USB tuner? It would surely look like a solution for USB tuners is near for the GB receiver.
 
LOL
Okay. That is half of what I wanted to see. Might no get the other half which is the Sundtek Tuner. Do you want to debug it and see if we can get it running or stop here? You decide.

I would assume this repair will work on Vu+ Duo 4K Lite because It is gb7252 based. I have a test image built for it and will provide it if someone wants to test it.
 
After examining the attached images in this thread, here is what appears to have happened:

Subject: [PATCH] dvb: make USB tuners work through the GigaBlue BCM7252 vtuner
(gbue4k, Vu+ Duo 4K Lite)

USB tuners on GigaBlue BCM7252 receivers (and the Vu+ Duo 4K Lite, which
uses the same platform) have not worked since the 2018 driver change: they
install and lock, but scans find nothing and channels stay black.

Cause: until mid-2018 the vtuner lived inside nexus.ko and its write()
passed TS data to the demux whenever a PID was active. The current
standalone dvb.ko added a gate: write() drops every TS packet until the
proxy frontend has reported a non-zero status via MSG_READ_STATUS.
enigma2 tunes the real USB frontend directly and never queries the proxy,
so the gate never opens and PAT/VCT/SDT reads time out.

Answering the status request exposes three more driver quirks:

- the proxy struct dvb_frontend is not zero-initialised, so fe->exit is
garbage and frontend ioctls fail with ENODEV until the device has been
opened read/write once.
- with a non-zero VTUNER_SET_ADAPTER, poll() injects empty PID list
messages whenever no PID is active, overwriting a pending request (its
caller then waits forever holding the vtuner lock, hanging enigma2's main
thread on the next demux filter), and every write() sleeps 100 ms. This
was already present in 2018 but harmless while nothing queried the proxy.
- closing the vtuner unregisters the proxy frontend, which blocks until all
handles on it are closed, so a proxy handle closed after the vtuner fd
deadlocks process exit.

On this platform only (nexus and dvb modules loaded): hold the proxy
frontend open read/write on a descriptor number reserved below the vtuner
fd, poll FE_READ_STATUS on it from a status thread, answer MSG_READ_STATUS
in the vtuner pump with the real USB frontend status, answer any other
request that waits for a response, and do not set VTUNER_SET_ADAPTER.
Other receivers are unaffected.

Tested on gbue4k: Hauppauge HVR-950 (ATSC, US) scan and playback;
DVB-T/T2 confirmed working in Europe.

Co-Authored-By: Claude Opus 5.5 <[email protected]>


About Sundtek:

The patch only changes enigma2's own vtuner handling (eDVBUsbAdapter). My understanding of Sundtek sticks, which I haven't verified on this box, is that they run their own userspace driver (mediasrv) rather than a normal kernel DVB driver. On set-top boxes, that driver can open the vtuner device itself. If it does, it would hit the same gate, and nothing in enigma2 can answer for it. On a box with a Sundtek plugged in, two quick checks using telnet or terminal:
ls /sys/class/dvb/ # a real kernel adapter for the Sundtek?
ls -l /proc/$(pidof mediasrv)/fd 2>/dev/null | grep vtuner # is mediasrv holding a vtuner itself?
Seems If mediasrv is holding /dev/misc/vtunerN, Sundtek's daemon has to answer MSG_READ_STATUS itself. Hence Sundtek would need to fix it.
 
Attached are files to enable usb tuners in gb7252 receivers which should include Vu+ Duo 4K Lite, and files to make the DVB-Szx PNP tuner blindscan.

The usb tuner files are straight-forward with edits in enigma2 dvb.cpp and dvb.h. The edits can be adjusted as wanted or needed.

The PNP DVB-S/S2/S2x blindscan consists of a binary that needs to go in /usr/bin of the receiver and given execute rights (chmod +x /usr/bin/gbbs.
The blindscan for the PNP tuners is a bit unusual as it will display a DVB-S2x transponder when found. The plugin.py needs to go into the blindscan plugin folder.

Hopefully these files will make the gb7252 receivers more enjoyable.
 

Attachments

I'll message @sundtek on discord he should be able to resolve it. I was meant to continue a conversation some weeks ago.

My GB UE 4K has a broken hdmi chip, I have to test via OWIF. Do you build for the GB Quad 4K by any chance?
 
Sundtek was the first to provide an ATSC usb tuner solution that worked to a degree for North America. I still respect that. He has a great knowledge of enigma2 structure. My suggestion is either show him this thread or copy post #43, plus provide the uploaded files to him. Then he will see the problem.

I will build GB Quad 4K in a few hours if time permits.
 
Per the OE Alliance build environment, gb7252 consists of three receivers. The "new" Duo 4K Lite also uses or seems to use the same gb7252. So 4 receivers total.
Here is a TEST image with feeds for everyone of them:

openvix-6.9.003.release-gbquad4k usb
MD5: c2b5db15d749135fcc3b217e5d8d662f

openvix-6.9.003.release-gbquad4kpro usb
MD5: 9e7ca57edec97a0c1bf58d5975b72993
https://tnapimages.com/download.php?file=openvix-test_images/gb7252/openvix-6.9.003.release-gbquad4kpro_usb.zip


openvix-6.9.003.release-gbue4k usb
MD5: 72c0eaa31aee0f4453b3f670265bf8bc

openvix-6.9.003.release-vuduo4klite usb
MD5: 4d9facdb57d2b9f81187b2cf00cc4f74
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top