Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Having real difficulties with the menus

  • Thread starter Thread starter moulin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I'm not clever enough. Getting the box and my laptop to talk to each other via my router was a day's work, as you will see if you look back through this thread.

I had a simple solution, it worked for me. It no longer does. It's the solution I would prefer to continue with, anything else is just asking for even more grief. Surely the questions I'm asking have simple enough answers, that is if one is an expert like I know you are?

What I have noticed, and casting my mind back, is that when I first recorded on the 4008 I'm fairly certain that I used the 64 GB stick straight out of an Aston Simba, which had formatted it to FAT32. I seem to remember being impressed that the 4008 simply accepted the stick, which already have recordings from the Aston on it, and created a "movie" folder by itself, without demanding a reformat. It's this memory that is now puzzling me, because the 4008 isn't creating a "movie" folder whether I preformat the stick, or allow the 4008 to do it itself. And I'm also finding that the stick - when formatted in the 4008 - doesn't allow any folder creation when plugged into the laptop, the laptop sees it but won't allow me to create a "movie" folder. It's all most odd.
 
Any recordings above 4GB requires the usb stick to be NTFS. Probably installing those drivers from the plugin feeds will help.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
re your first sentence: isn't that what initialising in the 4008 does anyway (ie formatting to whatever is required)? In any case, I can try doing an NTFS format on the laptop and then letting the 400 initialise. I think I've already done it - but happy to try again.

re your second sentence: I'm afraid that's where I'm simply not clever enough. I don't have the faintest idea what a plugin is and - for your own sanity - I don't think there's any point in trying to explain. I'm resigned to using my Edision Primo and my Octagon SX88+ from now on and simply searching the EPG manually every few days.

Will report back on the NTFS format idea though....

And thank you - I can only apologise for being such a useless case!
 
Right: this is what I've done.

1) Formatted 8 GB stick in Windows computer to NTFS.
2) Put in 4008, try to record, error writing to disc, can't record
3) Go to set up and thence to storage, initialise stick. Recognised by its correct manufacturer name and capacity, so 4008 can definitely "see it". Initialising takes a couple of minutes, gets to 100/100 absolutely fine.
4) Still can't record.
5) Try it back in laptop, message "This disc needs formatting before it can be used".

Now this definitely didn't happen before, ie in the golden era when I wasn't having problems. I was able to read the USB sticks that I'd used for recording on the 4008 in the laptop both in Linux and in Windows, so clearly initialising in the 4008 is NOT the right way to go. I'm convinced that I didn't need to do this initialising in the 4008 a year ago.

Which brings me back to thinking that something is set wrong in the record location menus in the 4008. Which is why I ask again: could someone in the same situation please tell me the settings that I should have for this when using an external USB stick. Or simply confirm the default settings, because I've not ever altered them, that is until the onset of these infuriating problems.

Thanks, and sorry again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
While watching tv, press menu > plugin(s) > Green button to download. Either in extensions or system plugins will be the NFTS tool you require. You would then press ok on that to download.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sadly that avenue (plugins) of pleasure is closed off to me, as the 4008 is not connected to the internet, and won't be, for the reasons I outlined above (my incompetence).

As I say, what I need are the default settings for the existing menus......

I'm not being uncooperative, but it really is pointless trying to get me to go off into the realms of complexity to solve a problem that should be very very simple, and hasn't reared its head until now.
 
Because I'm not clever enough.

Sorry been away from this thread a long time, so
If your comment was true you wouldn't have got this far!!

What is really disappointing on this forum are the people that ask for advice and disappear, or those that say give me advice and then ignore it (especially on IPTV!!)

So you are doing really well!.

So my Q. ref the HDD issues are you still on OpenATV (apologies just cannot see if you changed)
 
Hello twol

Thanks, yes, I've touched absolutely nothing, still OpenATV. It's so silly, because it's all kicked off since I reformatted that 64 GB, but now I can't get ANY of my formerly usable USB sticks to record..... I honestly think it must be something I've done to a menu, but I've no idea what.

I'm sure the question that some might be asking is "why on earth did the silly duffer buy an Octagon 4008 if he's so incompetent". Well of course back then it was the only box-based receiver that could deal with Multistream transmissions, and now that we have three (Edision Primo, Golden Interstar, and Octagon SX88+) at a quarter of the price the Octagon 4008 is a bit superfluous, other than the DVB-S2X capability, and the series link thingie for the EPG.....

What I'm going to try is formatting a stick in my Meosat Fransat box, it's similar in menus to the Aston Simba, (which I don't have to hand), and it might just be that it'll get me back into the 4008 recording wise. Will probably have to wait until tomorrow morning. I can't see a method of formatting from scratch on either the Edision or the Golden Interstar or the Octagon SX88+......
 
Can you go into your mounts setting and see if your usb or hdd say
Type ext4 R/W ?? correct usage for recordings.

Just to add your box is used to setup hdd and usb devices on it as things might go astray if one does not.

oops storage devices are what you enter to choose how to setup.
 
Last edited:
As I've said, initialising the USB stick in the 4008 gets me nowhere, and renders it invisible on the laptops.

However, formatting it in NTFS on the laptop and putting a couple of previously recorded files on the stick, then returning it to the 4008, I discover that as far as the 4008 is concerned the files (which can't be seen via the PLAYLIST button but can be found via the mediaplayer) are in /media/sda/movie.

When I try to alter the place where it makes instant or timer recordings I can't get awayy from media/hdd or media/hdd/movie, both of which show 0 GB free space, which is nonsense as the USB stick has 62 GB of free space.

So it seems to me that the 4008 is trying to record in a location that has no free space, and that the USB is offering space at media/sda/movie.

So does that tell you experts what's gone wrong? Isn't sda some sort of disc label....?
 
Progress. I've finally managed to persuade this accursed box to record in media/sda/movie and it's agreed! I can't get at my recordings to watch them via the PLAYLIST button, but I can get to them via the green button and Media Player, but it's a faff. But at least I can now do EPG timer recordings again. And scrape them off onto a sensible co-operative computer for future viewing.

Incidentally, exFAT was no use, this is using FAT32.

I must say I continue to think that for the average person the software on this box is an absolute CATASTROPHE, it is counter-intuitive, it's not helpful, it seems to fight one all the way. Thank goodness the SX88+ and the other little boxes of the same ilk are using software written by a non-geek.
 
Learn to FTP and all the faffing you are doing now will be in the past.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Initialise = Format
Receivers will use a Linux file system which Windows PCs do not recognise by default.

Your issue is the mountpoints.
 
Last edited:
Thanks abu baniaz. Well that's fine as far as it goes - but a decently softwared receiver would at least allow one to record on a USB stick that one had just formatted in the very same box. I'm sorry, it's p*ss poor-design by the programmers. I shouldn't have to be worrying about mountpoints just to record on a stick I've formatted in the very same box, although I take your point about it being invisible on Windows. Problem was it was invisible on my Linux Manjaro laptop as well. And if it's so Linux based why have I had no problems at all hitherto....?

But please don't worry any more, I've got a bodge working and that's doing what I need - as outlined above. But no wonder I've heard the Octagon 4008 called the Octotangle.....
 
Learn to FTP and all the faffing you are doing now will be in the past.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Or just buy a box with decent software like the Octagon SX88+. Not meaning to sound ungrateful, but it shouldn't be this complicated, and with most boxes it simply ISN'T this complicated.

As I say, if it hadn't been for the multistream I'd have never bought the wretched thing, and now that we have three cheap boxes that do the job with no hassle the 4008 is on borrowed time as far as I'm concerned.

But thanks all for trying to help.
 
Initialise it to Ext4 and then the recordings will work as expected and then learn to FTP. And yes, FTP is very easy to use, even a kid could do it!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Initialise it to Ext4 and then the recordings will work as expected and then learn to FTP. And yes, FTP is very easy to use, even a kid could do it!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh how many times have I heard the proponents of Linux and the like say what you've just said. If it were the case Linux would be the dominant operating system by now.....

There are plenty of things I could say the same about, because I have mastered them and understand the learning process.

The best teachers I had at school were the ones who remembered the difficulties they themselves had had learning something.....
 
Good luck in trying to solve your issue then, its obvious you don’t like change and you are old skool....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top