Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

No Satellite signal on New TV

dubrov

New member
Joined
Apr 16, 2015
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi all,

I recently changed my parents TV from an old 1080p Hanspree 28" to new Sony W800 32" model (1366 x 768).
The TV is fed by a Gigablue Trio 4k box with a terrestrial and satellite feed.

On the Hanspree all looks good. When I switch the HDMI cable to the W800 model, only the terrestrial channels work.
The satellite channels all show 0% signal.

All I moved was the HDMI cable and amended no settings.
When I switched back to the old TV all is good again.

This has me completely stumped and I am out of ideas.
I have tried:
1) Setting the A/V settings to 720p (no sat signal on Gigablue).
2) Connecting the SAT cable directly to the TV (bypassing the Gigablue). The TV tuning shows no signal
3) Connected it to a 3 year old LG cheap TV (no sat signal on Gigablue)
4) Different HDMI cables give the same result

It makes no sense to me as the HDMI cable should not affect the SAT signal at the Gigablue, it should just supply the video

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks
 
It's possible that the terrestrial channels are SD and the satellite channels are HD and the Gigablue is outputting in HD. 1366x768 is a very odd resolution for a new TV - more like a PC setting.
 
Silly selling tvs as HD ready and not full HD.
Did you remove the sat cables and refitted them when box is powered off.
Possible fault with lnb or cable or dish has moved.
 
I had a quick look at the specs. The native resolution of the panel is indeed 1366x768. I suppose it's because of the small screen size. It does accept a full 1920x1080 p50 signal, though. It also accepts a 720p signal. Have you tried with the Gigablue set to 1920x1080i/p at 50Hz?
 
Thanks both.

I'd be fairly sure i connected the sat cable with the box off but will retry. I'm pretty sure the tv was off when i connected it directly.

The resolution is strange alright. The whole 32" tv market is a bit strange in general. Hard to get anything decent.

The terrestrial channels are the Irish Saorview channels which are all less than full HD i believe, even the HD ones.

When i select auto/1080p in the AV settings, the menus output fine, just no sat tv signal. I would've thought even if the resolution was wrong, I'd see no menus. I don't see why it affects sat signal reading of the sat box.

If the above doesn't work, I'm going to try and switch it with my zgemma h7s

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
 
I get no signal on tv when i forget to select my HDMI 1 , 2 or 3 and a blank screen when i am looking at a tv channel from tv.

Can i assume with new tvs you might have to activate the ports before use?
 
I get no signal on tv when i forget to select my HDMI 1 , 2 or 3 and a blank screen when i am looking at a tv channel from tv.

Can i assume with new tvs you might have to activate the ports before use?
It definitely has the right HDMI selected. I even tried all three in case one of the ports was damaged.

I literally change nothing apart from the end of the HDMI cable from the old to new tv and the sat signal goes to zero.

The sat feed is very old so i suspect it is something to do with the signal being marginal.

I'll try the zgemma tomorrow to see what it produces


Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
 
Ok - the Saorview signal is 1440x1080 on the HD channels. 1440 is the same as 1920 but the pixel size is 1.33, so the actual resolution is 1920x1080. I'm in the Wicklow area, so can help with your issue if you are reasonably local.
 
You can always go into webif to see whats happening with no tv on and no signal would suggest cable, lnb , dish allignment?
 
Thanks for the offer Joe. I am in Dublin but am fairly familiar with these boxes and think it is not related to the setup.
Cactikid, good idea on the OpenWebIf. I'm guessing I will see no signal until the HDMI is connected to the old TV.

The update is I switched out the Gigablue Trio with a ZGemma H7S.
=> Same result, no sat signal on the new TV.

My parents have a working Gigablue Quad HD Plus in the other room so I moved the new TV and connected it to the Gigablue
=> Sat channels all fine

Conclusion
1) TV is working fine
2) Gigablue Trio is working fine
3) ZGemma H7S is working fine

By elimination, it must be the SAT feed. I am guessing it is marginal and somehow connecting HDMI to the old TV is boosting the signal.
 
I think you need to turn on the debug log and download it attached to a post. You could try it with the Hanspree TV first, then the Sony.

Just to be clear - when you tune to a satellite channel, you can see the screen (Vix) user interface displayed on the new Sony TV, but the box is reporting "tune failed" or similar? If you go into the setup menu on Vix and use the Signal Finder it will tell you if it can obtain a lock on any of the transponders.
If it's the case that the video to the TV drops out entirely when you select a satellite channel, then it's a resolution issue between the GB Trio (which is 4k capable) and the Sony. There may be an odd setting in the AV menu. Can you post a screenshot of the AV setup menu?

I re-read the thread and something is confusing me. You said you connected the sat cable directly to the TV and got no signal. The Sony W800 does not have a satellite tuner, only terrestrial DVB-T/T2.
 
Last edited:
I dont think you need a HDMI for Webif as your viewing it on pc but you need a live sat feed to give you a signal , like when other box was connected it did not work either.

Do you have a second feed to try with box powered off connect up cables and then on.

I had lost a connection just by moving box slightly as why i mentioned recheck F connector
 
This thread is not clear. It says no satellite signal. Please pick from the following two options:

1) The infobar or other output is displayed but no picture from any channels.
2) Nothing at all is displayed from the STB on the TV screen.
 
This thread is not clear. It says no satellite signal. Please pick from the following two options:

1) The infobar or other output is displayed but no picture from any channels.
2) Nothing at all is displayed from the STB on the TV screen.

It's Option 1,.On the new TV, all Vix menus are displayed and terrestrial channels play fine but when I select a satellite channel, it shows tune failed.
When I go "Signal Finder" in the OpenVix menu, all the numbers are zero.

On the old TV, SAT channels play fine
 
I dont think you need a HDMI for Webif as your viewing it on pc but you need a live sat feed to give you a signal , like when other box was connected it did not work either.

Do you have a second feed to try with box powered off connect up cables and then on.

I had lost a connection just by moving box slightly as why i mentioned recheck F connector

It could be the connection as the F connector has fallen off leaving the bare central wire exposed. On the old Tv this works fine putting it into the SAT slot on the Gigablue.
I still have the F connector but it won't stay on with a shove as the cable is too fat. It doesn't give a signal on the new TV when held in anyway.
 
Last edited:
I think you need to turn on the debug log and download it attached to a post. You could try it with the Hanspree TV first, then the Sony.

Just to be clear - when you tune to a satellite channel, you can see the screen (Vix) user interface displayed on the new Sony TV, but the box is reporting "tune failed" or similar? If you go into the setup menu on Vix and use the Signal Finder it will tell you if it can obtain a lock on any of the transponders.
If it's the case that the video to the TV drops out entirely when you select a satellite channel, then it's a resolution issue between the GB Trio (which is 4k capable) and the Sony. There may be an odd setting in the AV menu. Can you post a screenshot of the AV setup menu?

I re-read the thread and something is confusing me. You said you connected the sat cable directly to the TV and got no signal. The Sony W800 does not have a satellite tuner, only terrestrial DVB-T/T2.

I had thought the W800 didn't have a SAT tuner as well based on the specs but there is a SAT connection at the back and the menus allow SAT tuning.
No signal though when connected to the single SAT cable in the room
 
It could be the connection as the F connector has fallen off leaving the bare central wire exposed. On the old Tv this works fine putting it into the SAT slot on the Gigablue.
I still have the F connector but it won't stay on with a shove as the cable is too fat. It doesn't give a signal on the new TV when held in anyway.

You didn't mention before now that the F connector had fallen off! In order for the LNB to work the sat box (or TV) has to provide 13v-18V up the cable and also pass a 22kHz tone to switch the LNB between high band / low band and between H and V polarisations. You won't get this reliably unless you have the centre core and shield connected via the plug and ensure there is no short. If the cable is too "fat", then you either have the wrong cable type or the wrong F-plug. Photos please!
 
It could be the connection as the F connector has fallen off leaving the bare central wire exposed. On the old Tv this works fine putting it into the SAT slot on the Gigablue.
I still have the F connector but it won't stay on with a shove as the cable is too fat. It doesn't give a signal on the new TV when held in anyway.

If you have no F plug on the satellite down lead I'm not surprised that satellite doesn't work. On a universal LNB the cable supplies power from your box or TV to the LNB. The box/TV also sends control signal up the cable. For this to work both the central core of the coax cable must connect to the centre of the box/TV F connector and the screen(braid) must be connected to the outer screw of the box/TV f connector. A properly installed F plug makes these two connections reliably.

Just poking the wires into the f connector can result in three possible failure mechanisms
i) you are not matching the characteristic impedance of the cable which can result in the loss of some frequencies
ii) you just make one of the two connections - no power is delivered to the LNB.
iii) you short out the output power and control signals from the box or TVs f connector. If you are unlucky you could cause electrical damage to your box or TV by doing this

How to put on a screw F connector to 6/7mm diameter coax cable
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm#fit
Note: Satcure are no longer trading

Youtube description
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2v7fLHZzzM

Screw on F plugs can be obtained cheaply on Ebay or 100 off from the sponsor
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.u...adaptors/100x-screw-twist-on-f-type-connector

Ebay example
Code:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204042399216
 
Last edited:
Ouch redo connections and follow the video for screwing on the F connector.

Photo be handy unless its a compressed fitting which wont go back on
 
Unfortunately I won't have any photos until the next time I am up there.

I think it is almost certainly the cabling but probably more than just the connector. I had a spare F connector and followed a guide to fit it. Unfortunately the wire was too thick to simply push it on but I could have used tape to keep it in place. I didn't bother as pushing the cable to keep it in place with my hand still gave no signal.

I gave up in the end and am getting a sat installer out on Monday to fix.
The terrestrial signal is marginal too (can fail based on the weather) so I'll get them to fix that too.

I will report back on the final cause.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top