Did anyone force you to update?
Did the old image hinder you in some way?
If you want a market perfect image, be my guest and go to a crowd funding site to have one built to your specific needs.
I really am sorry the thousands hours of unpaid work done by Andy and others is not to your exacting standards.
Not sure if Andy can cut down on anyone sleep but I will ask.him to try and work 23.5 hours so your not inconvenient further.
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
That's a bit unfair in my opinion.
Of course we all appreciate all the hard work you guys do.
At the same time, it's still obviously a pain when people suddenly start experiencing issues that weren't there with a previous version, and that don't go away when we revert to the previous version.
I have been without my box for around 3 weeks now. I really really appreciate the time Stef has taken to test it, his conclusion (that I suspected) is that the box is fine and it was down to software. Stef is having to pay to shop this back to me and I had to pay £16 with insurance to send it to him.
Crap happens, I've written enough programs in my time to know that. That doesn't mean when it does happen those suffering problems wont talk/vent about it, regardless of whether the software was free or cost £1000
From what I understand the problems weren't the ViX teams fault at all, rather down to Gigablue. But as those drivers are incorporated into ViX, it's obvious those using ViX that once had working boxes and now don't', are going to vent., This is nothing personal against any of the coders at all.
I have to say that the tone of some of the staff in this thread has left a really sour taste in my opinion, I had the greatest respect for you all prior to this, your post was very sarcastic, your bosses has been shouting us down, saying the thread is silly and basically teliing us to shut up and if we still have problems (that we didn't have at all before updating) we should contact the people we bought it off instead.
That does not make for a very friendly place at all in my opinion and it comes off a bit elitist (sort of "how dare people complain about our precious ViX") .
At some point older versions will not be supported, we don't know when we should upgrade or when we shouldn't. I upgrade usually to see if things that don't quite work properly, start working properly. These aren't usually ViX related but driver related.
If I didn't update and I had a problem, how long would it be before one of you asked me what version I am using and if it wasn't one of the latest, suggest I upgrade then try?
We have been kept pretty much in the dark by all involved (whether Gigablue, Stef or yourselves) about what the actual problem is, why reverting to older bootloaders and our previous version of ViX didn't fix it, and what version we can be sure it's fixed in. We have no option but to discuss what we find here.
While Stef has spent a lot of time testing various things, he hasn't really kept me totally informed either. He's asked me not to post the content of his emails after I did in post 75 (which are only discussing this problem) so I haven't done so.
Friday 12th Sept he told me he tested my box the previous day, I asked if I could post the following on the forum, he said yes
Stef has tested my Quad with ViX Build 032 for 22 hrs recording 6HD and 1SD simultaneously with zero problems
hence my post no 195.
I presumed it was all working. He wanted to test a few more kernel updates that were coming and said I would hear back early this week (week just ended).
Got a reply Wednesday morning that he wanted to test 036 on it either Wed or Thu.
I replied
No worries Stef
Do I take it that you've had problems with the other releases?
I would prefer it back for the weekend but would rather you hung onto it untilit's sorted.
best
No answer to my question. Was 32 OK in the end, was there problems with 33, why did he need to wait and try 36?????? (in his defence, I think he was very busy, out the office for a while etc)
When I'm posting that 32 is working fine and others in this thread are finding they are still having problems, it would have been very useful for the other guys in this thread to know if Stef found problems on my box with it..
I was expecting the box to be shipped back to me Tue or Wed as I thought it was all working., I have no clue why he needed to hold on and test 36 on it, was it just to check 36 was OK ( and if so I really appreciate it) and he found no problems with the earlier versions as was implied the previous week, or did the earlier versions throw up problems in the end, hence I could have told the likes of Richard that he's not alone, my box is also having problems with that version.
Thursday morning Stef told me that he'd got in the office and it had been recording on build 036 since 13:30 Wednesday, 6 x HD and 1x SD with another box sat on top to restrict the airflow hence letting it get warmer, and there was zero problems. He offered to send it out to me or send to Gigablue in Germany for more diagnostics, I requested he return it to me.
I will get it back Monday.
I'm sure you guys talk to Stef., was there really nothing constructive to say to help those of us having problems?
I am really grateful for all Stefs time, I don't want this to seem like I'm having a go at him, I'm not meaning to. I'm trying to give a bit of constructive criticism to make things better in the future.
After all Stefs work, I want to make another donation to the site, but after seeing some attitude in this thread, part of me does not.
We aren't against any of you or the ViX programmers, we are simply users having problems and discussing our problems with each other.
Having problems is bad enough, getting sarcastic replies or getting told we are silly for discussing our problem just makes it worse.