Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[GiGaBlue QUAD] [NOT QUAD+] recording problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ojustaboo
  • Start date Start date
I have been watching this thread with interest even though I do not have a GB Quad I did a little Recording experiment with my Duo2 as I was interested to see what my temps would be after recording 7 programs at once,my temp started at 30c and after about 25mins only went up 1c here are some snap shots

Recording just watching a channel.webp Recording 7 channels at once.webp Recording 7 channels Temp after 20mins.webp Recording 7 channels at once temp went up 1 degree.webp
 
I have been watching this thread with interest even though I do not have a GB Quad I did a little Recording experiment with my Duo2 as I was interested to see what my temps would be after recording 7 programs at once,my temp started at 30c and after about 25mins only went up 1c here are some snap shots

View attachment 36793 View attachment 36794 View attachment 36795 View attachment 36796

Nice one! 7 recordings! that's impressive and only a rise of 1d...Is your box in the freezer or you live in the arctic? Joking aside..Thanks for the info..Just adds weight that there is a issue somewhere in the quad
 
Ok did my test again, started off 2 recordings and it seemed ok but was quite high 97/98...tested for 30 mins...Set off a 3rd and it went straight to 99 and rebooted...It's not really a problem for me as i only normally record 1 at a time but for Ojustaboo it is...
I don't know what the problem was before when i upgraded to 026 with the new bootloader when i kept on getting constant reboots by just watching tv or going through the menus..This has seemed to gone away since i reflashed from 028 back to 026
Rossi, test yours tonight with 3 recordings, see if it does it to you


i will try a test tonight with 3 recordings.
altho i only use a 16GB pen drive for my hdd and 8GB pen drive for usb., so see what i can do.
 
Just noticed Rossi that you have a qblue qaud plus so it might not be a issue for you..Have a look at your temp before you start recording as well as after...my quad is currently at 97 without doing any recordings...just watching tv
 
I upgraded my GigaBlue Quad to 026 and new bootloader and have had the problems with playback ever since.
Can I revert to 024 and keep the new bootloader and does that resolve the issue?
 
They've tested my box, could reproduce the problem on 24 and 15.

Worked fine on 3

They also reproduced it on 2 other quads.

The issue is fixed in latest Openmips image, but the fixes are not yet in the OE-A alliance GIT that ViX uses, so I have to go back to 3 or try Openmips.



Very impressed with Stef at World of Satellite, I think I drove him insane with my temperature theories and my bombardment of questions, but he remained extremely polite (even though I'm sure he really wanted to thump me)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I can certainly report the "freezing and pixelating" is still present on 029 when recording and playing back from HDD. Interestingly recording to HDD and playing from a NAS source, the playback is fine even over 2 hours of viewing - recording & playback both from HDD becomes unwatchable after a few minutes.

(GB Quad, OpenVIX 025, 026, 028 and 029)

Steve
 
Did I break some rule putting the link to the opemips in post 67?

Seems strange to remove the link when all I'm trying to do is help those people having the same problem as me, as the version I linked to is the only version that currently has no problems (unless you go right back to ViX version 3)

I'm sure a few people might be interested in giving it a go until ViX gets the same drivers, the forum sponsor gave me the link as the only known working current version..

Sorry, not meaning to be awkward, I just don't get the logic.
 
Last edited:
Did I break some rule putting the link to the opemips in post 67?
No. I removed the link because it's a development image.
Any of the mods can add it again if they think I shouldn't have removed it.
I'd be sure a link will be provided when the image is released.
 
They've tested my box, could reproduce the problem on 24 and 15.

Worked fine on 3

They also reproduced it on 2 other quads.

The issue is fixed in latest Openmips image, but the fixes are not yet in the OE-A alliance GIT that ViX uses, so I have to go back to 3 or try Openmips.



Very impressed with Stef at World of Satellite, I think I drove him insane with my temperature theories and my bombardment of questions, but he remained extremely polite (even though I'm sure he really wanted to thump me)

Hi Ojustaboo
Thanks for the info, much appreciated for the feedback..I think i will go back to 003 then for the time being..it's happening with streaming too as well as recording
Hope you get your box back soon
 
Ok i reverted back to 003 with a fresh instal through usb stick...and using the new boot loader...Haven't installed anything else (plugins etc) only ftp's my channel list but still getting constant reboots (temp is currently 98 while just watching tv)...should i have used the previous boot loader?
Cheers
 
Mine had an older bootloader put back on (Quad only)

Code:
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][COLOR=#1f497d][URL]http://image.openmips.com/4.0/loader/gigablue_bootloader_gbquad_20130507.zip[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
 
Ok, i'm afraid this hasn't worked for me...I installed the previous bootloader 21030507 (thanks ojustaboo) and flashed 003 again....Just scanned in tuner a b c and already the temp is at 99 and just literally rebooted as typing this
 
Dam. Did you have problems before your upgrade? Thinking about it, in the weeks before I upgraded, I had 1 random reboot and I watched a lot of TV.

Remove the lid then try, temps will be lower.

Again without meaning to upset mods or the sponsor, I do feel I haven't been taken totally seriously about the temps, because as I've stressed time and time again, regardless of what the actual temp is, when the Quad reports it's 99, my box rebooted and it was repeatable every single time.

As you are having exactly the same problem, I'll post some of the emails about my problems, nothing confidential in any of them, just the names, hi's, thanks and byes removed

When they tested my box, they said they tried 15 and 24 and had the same problem. Yet I had no problems when I used 15, very weird. I don't think it's a hardware problem as it didn't happen prior to my update.

But going back to an earlier bootloader and going back to previous ViX versions that worked fine, now no longer work, that confuses me a lot.

I said to them,

What concerns me is I have been pretty up to date with the images for instance here's a post with a screenshot of mine dated 28th July showing I had Apollo 22 running and I was having zero issues with it.

It was also a lot hotter in my living room then due to time of year

I don't understand how everything worked 100% fine up until last Wednesday and when we go back to those images that used to work fine, it now doesn't?

Many thanks for your quick service


they responded with

How often do you record 3 channels at once? The issue is only noticed while recording 3 channels at once for a period of time. On 003 so far it’s been perfect.

Like I’ve stated time and time again, the reported temps are incorrect. Quad was reporting 92-95 deg on 003, ACTUAL CPU TEMP was 67 deg!

We’ll test for a longer period tomorrow, in the meantime we’ll be sending a report to Gigablue.

Yet I found it did it recording just watching live TV eventually without recording anything, and fairly quickly recording 1 prog and watching something pre-recorded

I responded with

not everyday but I do sometimes.

I rarely watch live TV, I was also getting the problem recording 2 channels while watching something I've recorded (or watching something I've transferred to the box from my PC)

Also had it recording just 1 channel and watching pre-recorded but it takes much longer to reboot.

Their response

Not noticed any longer booting times, booting fine.

Its drivers issues, there’s reports online about it too.

As per our earlier email, tomorrow we’re going to test recording 4 separate channels for a longer period of time.

If we can’t replicate no issues on 003, its 100% drivers and not hardware, your exact same issue has been replicated on 2 other Quads, not just yours.

We’ll be back in contact tomorrow.

My response

sorry,wasn't making myself clear.

When I said it takes longer to reboot, I mean it takes longer for the box to get to the point where it crashes and reboots.

It also does it far more often with the lid on than when the lid is removed for some reason, so if your testing with the lid removed, you will probably find it reaches the fail point much quicker if you replace it.


their response

All testing has been done with lid on, we test as you would be. Only time we slid the lid off was to measure temp with infra red digital thermometer.

When the unit randomly reboots, it boots in normal time. It’s not a crash, it’s a random reboot that we’re advised is being caused by memory fragmentation.

Our aim tomorrow is to record constant for a number of hours.

We’ll report back to you tomorrow.

My response

I'm not being awkward, and I do agree the reported temp is wrong, but why if its mem fragmentation does it only reboot when the reported temp is 99C?

And why when I was playing, I removed the lid and opened window nearby (live by north sea, always windy and was a cold day) and the reported temp dropped quite a bit and the box worked for ages before I shut the window and it slowly crept back up to 99C?

Try it tomorrow, flash an image it fails with, take lid off and direct a fan in there, honestly, it will not reboot.

Sorry if I appear awkward, not meaning to be, just it cost me £16 with insurance to send to you and I don't want to have to send it back again in a few weeks.

Don't have to reply, I know I'm hassling you.

Their response

It reboots randomly, not even reaching 95 deg.

It’s a known issue. You are not alone, kindly await our reply tomorrow.

That never ever happened to me and I worry if there's two separate problems occurring, because mine NEVER rebooted until the box incorrectly reported the temp at 99C

Their final response the following day

Further testing proves that you had a software issue, not hardware.

I’ve spoken directly to the dev’s. They advised me the issue is fixed in latest Openmips image, but the fixes are not yet in the OE-A alliance GIT that ViX uses.

ViX 003 is fine, no issues. See screenshot of this mornings recording.

We have been also advised to test latest Openmips build here (not allowed to post link on forum as dev version) has recording fixed. I’ve been told its actually an issue with the kernels that started in 3.3.8 and made its way into 3.14.2. We tested todays build of Openmips, again all fine, see screenshot.

You have 3 choices: -

1) Use build 003 until fixed in OE-A GIT.
2) Use Openmips latest.
3) Use latest ViX and live with the issue until fixed.

Kindly advise return address.

Personally as it worked fine on other versions until I upgraded the bootloader and ViX to 26, even though I've gone back to other versions, I still think it must be software related.

Some days when I was recording 2 channels and watching a 3rd, the room was so hot being summer, I was sitting around in my underpants and still sweating, yet the box was fine.

Now when it gets to 97 - 98, I can remove the lid (had it unscrewed) and watch the temp drop, I can open the window and a draft come in and I can see it drop further and I am not making it up, the box does not reboot at all as it doesn't reach 99. I close the window and it gradually rises. I put the lid on and it quickly rises, 87, 98, 99, box reboots, time and time again. Unless that was a pure fluke of course.

In another thread you said you put a fan on it, did that help?

I literally spent hours and hours trying different things to help solve this problem, and feel people have been getting annoyed with me trying to help and not taking me seriously just because I mention the temperature.

I said all along I don't really think it's hardware, and I am more than happy to be proven wrong with what I found with my temps.

But reading your experience does worry me.

One thing that did just occur to me, again could be coincidence, I found the problem much worse in the evenings, which makes no sense at all really, just clutching at straws.
 
Hi Justaboo, sorry didn't mean to worry you, i'm sure if they have done their tests and said that it is working then im sure/hopefully it will be

I had the odd reboot here and there before but i think that was more to do with me experimenting with the box, plugins etc

I did a couple of screen grabs a few mins ago..Im using 003 with the boot loader you posted earlier, it was at 93 before recording and after i set 2 recordings off for a couple of minutes it went to 98 and then a minute later rebooted. Now i don't know a lot about kernals/drivers ect..the kernal is 3.3.8 and the drivers are 23/05/2014..Which i'm assuming are the ones i would have been using from build 023 and before where i never had a problem with rebooting

Not sure how sat boxes record temps and we now have established that the box itself isn't really at the reported temp..It almost seems that it is not calibrated properly, similar to when i had a problem with a mobile phone battery..If i turned it off when the battery was say at 50%, when i turned it back on a minute later it would say 80% and needed to be calibrated..I wonder if there is such a file in the software that has been set too high to start with...Just guessing... and someone in the know would have said something by now..It is weird though that i put my floor stand nearly on top of the receiver and got to the temp down to 47 (that's a big difference from 90) but wouldn't go any lower and i think i'm right in saying that someone said in a different post (maybe fat tony) that his quad plus was around 47 at normal use
 

Attachments

  • 93norecord.webp
    93norecord.webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 98recording.webp
    98recording.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I think i mentioned in a earlier post that i live in Spain and obviously hot here at the moment..But i have had the quad over a year now and never had these problems, also my set up is like yours, open and on a glass stand so is well ventilated..Obviously a laptop stand fan or similar would help lower the temp but i'm hoping this issue will be resolved soon
 
Anyone with boxes that report high temps & random reboots, please try the next build hopefully available over the next few days.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top