Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[ET9x00] Often no EPG data after startup.

  • Thread starter Thread starter destroyer2usa
  • Start date Start date
Guide edited about the restart :)
 
Last edited:
No dont delete anything except what is specified
 
Bit more info:

*Thanks Rob

Thanks for this guide and all the assistance.

I have left the file on hd and followed the rest of the instructions. Should I leave both mentioned settings for EPG to NO always?

All this I have done on build 151. Tried a couple of cold reboots just now and EPG is working fine again. Will keep a eye on it and update this thread if problem comes back.

Now it's safe to update to latest build?
 
I have those settings at no all the time, the file on hdd will be overwitten by the live data from the new downloaded epg data on shutdown and yes upgrade to 155
 
I have those settings at no all the time, the file on hdd will be overwitten by the live data from the new downloaded epg data .
Sorry, but that is not correct. All data that is downloaded when the box is in use, be it an import or read from transponders, will be added to the existing data. The original, and possibly corrupt data, will never be overwritten.
That is simply the way E2 handles EPG data: on E2 start the epg.dat is read and the data is kept in memory; all "new" data will be added to that. The complete set (so including the original data-set) will be written to epg.dat when E2 is stopped (and be read again on E2 start).

So removing the file epg.dat is always possible, but removing the data is only possible when E2 is stopped.
So the only way to get rid of a corrupt epg-dataset is to stop E2 (init 4), delete epg.dat and restart e2 (init 3). Now there's no epg-data at all in the system, and you can begin building a new dataset.
 
Bad news...just started my system again and again no epg data.

I stopped E2 did a search and only the file epg.dat is present so when I startup my system for some reason E2 doesn't read and load to memory the epg.dat file from my hd.

I rebooted and still no epg.dat file in memory.

Any ideas why and even better how can I fix this annoying problem...I really the vix image but having EPG data i also love...
 
That is correct: epg.dat is never in memory......

Ok...why then sometimes when you do a search there are two files? One in etc (corrupt) and one on hd?

Ok. I gave it another shot...wiped everything...set location to usb, redownloading epg data (Rytec will be happy with me...) and then I will do a full restart.

Then data is written to selected location but when I turn my box in deep standby and turn on tomorrow epg data is not read from save location and again a empty epg.

Update 1

Downloaded EPg, save location usb, shutdown box, startup and again no EPG data.

Searched with filezilla only 1 epg.dat file is present on usb...size 22mb...so data is present but box doesn´t load the data during boot.

So when I now switch off the box...the empty epg data will be saved and I stay with that empty epg data...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok...why then sometimes when you do a search there are two files? One in etc (corrupt) and one on hd?..
As I said before: if the location that is set in the menu is not available (for whatever which reason) the default location etc/enigma2 will be used.
Or in other words: the fact that this file exists proves that there is something wrong with your HDD: apparently it is not always available.

Ok. I gave it another shot...wiped everything...set location to usb, redownloading epg data (Rytec will be happy with me...) and then I will do a full restart.
Then data is written to selected location but when I turn my box in deep standby and turn on tomorrow epg data is not read from save location and again a empty epg.....
Same story: this proves that the USB-stick was not available at the moment Enigma started

Update 1
Downloaded EPg, save location usb, shutdown box, startup and again no EPG data.
Searched with filezilla only 1 epg.dat file is present on usb...size 22mb...so data is present but box doesn´t load the data during boot.
So when I now switch off the box...the empty epg data will be saved and I stay with that empty epg data...
Correct: the data in memory will be written; if no data is available there will be no data in epg-dat either.

Long story short: what you experience is that there are problems with your mounts. The epg-problems are only a symptom of that. I suggest you open a new topic with that problem (and you can refer to this thread as proof that the problem is there).
 
As Rob says your problem is not the epg but your hdd - what happens if you use normal standby instead of deep standby
 
To Clarify - Except for the hdd/usb going to sleep which is where the problem lies
But that makes no difference: as long as the box is active (= also in standby) nothing will be done with epg.dat.
And (depending on settings) the HDD also goes to sleep when the box is active.

And for looking into a mount-problem I again strongly suggest another thread; as that is of-topic here.
 
But it will if he is doing an overnight epg import
 
But it will if he is doing an overnight epg import
Also on EPG-imports no epg.dat will be written; that only happens on stopping E2. A box can run for months without the file ever being written/read.

And we know already that OP has a mount problem.
 
Thanks for the advice.. Gonna run a filecheck to from vix menu to see if there are problems with the hd and afterwards when necessary start a new thread about the mount problem.
 
Well in my case it's not a mount/HDD/USB problem.

epg.dat is stored in internal flash on my ET9500, I'll describe my case:

1) Box running epg is visible, all OK
2) Full reboot
3) After reboot no epg visible
4) Restart only enigma2
5) After restart epg is visible, all OK

I can reproduce this 100% of the time, every full reboot it doesn't show the epg and every time I restart enigma2, it shows again.


Can anyone explain this? Perhaps a file lock during full reboot, but afterwards when only enigma2 is restarted, the file lock is gone?
 
Last edited:
I'll give it a try this evening, if that could be the cause.

Also I'd like it if propper credit could be given to the picon sets from http://picons.zoka.cc/

zoka.cc is not the creator, that's just the hosting company, I am the creator.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top