Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[AMKIO-VIPER-4K] RTL8153 Driver for Usb to ethernet Gigabit adapter

polo2000

New member
Joined
Sep 4, 2011
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello, I'm looking for a driver or an ipk file to install to be able to use my network adapter. It's a TP-LINK UE300 USB 3.0 to ethernet adapter (chip Realtek RTL8153). My lan built in my Amiko Viper 4K seems to be dead and I'm not really happy with the Octagon 2.4ghz I have, lots of drops, not that stable and bitrate quite poor (compared to lan or 5ghz adapter). Can someone help me in finding the right driver (I've searched by updating the driver list in "plugins/green touch" but can't find this specific one. Anyone having an idea of wich 5ghz adapter to buy?

Thanks
 
I'm not sure there is one.
Most (all?) of the drivers are for Wifi devices, not Ethernet ones.
 
Is there an AMKIO VIPER 4K driver for the AX88178A / AX88179 ?
If so, you could get a USB Ethernet adapter that uses one of those instead.
This seems to be one:
Code:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086PCP8FL
 
Last edited:
It turns out that I actually have one of these! (The Amazon Basics USB/Ethernet dongle uses the same chipset).

And I can get it to work on my Xtrend et8000 by installing the r8152 driver.
This isn't an option you'll find in the menus.

I'll add a bit more once I find out what you do need to install.
EDIT: Hmmm...a look at the Viper 4K distro files doesn't find any network driver packages at all! So it's possible that nothing would work?

This is what Ubuntu sees:
Code:
[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]Jul 13 15:48:59 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5101.052729] usb 1-3: USB disconnect, device number 5 [/COLOR]
Jul 13 15:49:02 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5104.019884] usb 4-1: new SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd 
Jul 13 15:49:02 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5104.040867] usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8153, bcdDevice=30.00 
Jul 13 15:49:02 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5104.040880] usb 4-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=6 
Jul 13 15:49:02 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5104.040885] usb 4-1: Product: USB 10/100/1000 LAN 
Jul 13 15:49:02 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5104.040890] usb 4-1: Manufacturer: Realtek 
Jul 13 15:49:02 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5104.040894] usb 4-1: SerialNumber: 000001 
Jul 13 15:49:03 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5104.619300] usbcore: registered new interface driver r8152 
Jul 13 15:49:03 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5104.623465] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether 
Jul 13 15:49:03 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5104.624513] usbcore: registered new interface driver r8153_ecm 
Jul 13 15:49:03 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5104.748114] usb 4-1: reset SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd 
Jul 13 15:49:03 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5104.796016] r8152 4-1:1.0: load rtl8153a-4 v2 02/07/20 successfully 
Jul 13 15:49:03 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5104.829704] r8152 4-1:1.0 eth0: v1.11.11 
Jul 13 15:49:04 gmllaptop kernel: [ 5105.954911] r8152 4-1:1.0 enxa0cec855fae6: renamed from eth0
[/FONT]

This is what the Xtrend sees:
Code:
[  864.584000] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-brcm 
[  864.730000] usbcore: registered new interface driver r8152 
[  864.837000] usb 3-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-brcm 
[  865.013000] r8152 3-1:1.0 eth1: v1.08.8 
[ 1203.037000] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready 
[ 1203.066000] r8152 3-1:1.0 eth1: carrier on 
[ 1203.066000] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth1: link becomes ready

Code:
[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000][et8000]: ifconfig eth1    [/COLOR]
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr A0:CE:C8:55:FA:E6   
          inet addr:192.168.1.60  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0 
          inet6 addr: fe80::a2ce:c8ff:fe55:fae6/64 Scope:Link 
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1 
          RX packets:200 errors:0 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0 
          TX packets:61 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000  
          RX bytes:54550 (53.2 KiB)  TX bytes:12304 (12.0 KiB) 

[et8000]: ethtool eth1 
Settings for eth1: 
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ] 
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full  
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full  
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full  
        Supported pause frame use: No 
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes 
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported 
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full  
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full  
                                1000baseT/Full  
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only 
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes 
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported 
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full  
                                             100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full  
                                             1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full  
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: No 
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes 
        Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported 
        Speed: 1000Mb/s 
        Duplex: Full 
        Port: MII 
        PHYAD: 32 
        Transceiver: internal 
        Auto-negotiation: on 
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg 
        Wake-on: g 
        Current message level: 0x00007fff (32767) 
                               drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err tx_queued intr tx_done rx_status pktdata hw wol 
        Link detected: yes[/FONT]
 
Last edited:
You can find the source code for a Linux r8152 driver on the Internet.
But I don't know if that would be enough to make one for this box.
There's certainly zero chance I could do it for a box I don't own that, I think, even has a different processor architecture from the box I do own.
 
Given that the gcc compiler isn't shipped you're not going to be able to build it.

I don't understand.
Surely the compiler is no problem.
Parts of OpenViX are in C/C++ and get compiled.
It's just whether you can get the necessary information to make the driver "connect up" to the rest of the Linux.
 
I don't understand.
Surely the compiler is no problem.
Parts of OpenViX are in C/C++ and get compiled.
as part of the standard build.
But the compiler that is built is not shipped as a package, so isn't available to use after the original build.
It's just whether you can get the necessary information to make the driver "connect up" to the rest of the Linux.
Which also requires the kernel development headers - also not shipped.
 
as part of the standard build.
But the compiler that is built is not shipped as a package, so isn't available to use after the original build.
Which also requires the kernel development headers - also not shipped.

People can build their own OpenViX images.
I've done it myself.
They get the compiler from somewhere don't they?
 
People can build their own OpenViX images.
I've done it myself.
They get the compiler from somewhere don't they?
The compiler is built during the build (clearly).
It's actually simple to make a package of it (I did it so that I could build the Fortran compiler using it - I have odd wishes...).

So yes, you could build your own image, but you can't add the kernel module from a current build.
 
The AMKIO VIPER 4K doesn't support installing kernel modules from ipk files?
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top