Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Duo2] System lockups and crashes

  • Thread starter Thread starter LeeC22
  • Start date Start date
L

LeeC22

Guest
Since installing Hades 018, I have had a daily crash of some sort.

The first day it was after pressing the Green button to view timers. The whole box crashed with an error report on screen, telling me to find the details in a log file. Logging wasn't turned on, so I have no idea where this log file was. I have no logs on the system that match the date and time of the crash.

As a result, I turned logging on, in case it happened again.

Yesterday, I was sat watching TV and all of a sudden, I got the spinning Vix logo in the corner, and it was unresponsive to the remote. I hard to hard-reset the box to get back control.

Today, I got the same spinning logo, and after checking the log files, the system was in the process of creating a 480+MB log file. Again, I had to do a hard reset to fix it. The log file is absolutely littered with errors such as this: "<130438.845767> [eDVBSectionReader] section crc32 failed! is ad461f2c" In fact, there are a huge amount of seemingly EPG related errors.

But from line 22805 to 9455178 in the log file, is this section repeated over and over again:

Code:
<166757.745274> -------FATAL SIGNAL
<166757.745598> PC: 7713be98
<166757.745671>     00000000 00000001 7727d220 772aa654
<166757.745702>     00000000 54dd6ef0 00000000 55dea34c
<166757.745724>     80808080 0000004e 00000000 00687461
<166757.745744>     32353437 203e3437 2d2d2d2d 0045c6d0
<166757.745764>     54dd6ef0 7714f5e8 5d9fcfa8 54dd6ef0
<166757.745784>     612fe674 612fe528 5e1d6d98 005c0000
<166757.745805>     00000018 7713be5c 00000000 00000000
<166757.745825>     772ac160 612fe2c0 00000001 771e6888
<166757.746175> Backtrace:
<166757.746376> /usr/bin/enigma2(_Z17handleFatalSignaliP9siginfo_tPv) [0x45D7F0]
<166757.746509> /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0(PyObject_Call) [0x7713BE9A]

Obviously, I didn't want to paste 9 million lines of log file anywhere, but I do have it saved if anyone wants to see it. The box was flashed with a settings restore, but those settings came from a stable hades 016 box, so they should have been safe enough to use... shouldn't they?

I have moved my EPG data from the HD to my USB drive, to see if a fresh location for the EPG has any effect. I only have two EPG providers, Rytec Italy and one for Sky UK. I use Vhannibal Motor Settings for my motorised dish, downloaded direct from the Vhannibal site (latest version 5th August)
 
I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. :(

It's such a pain re-setting up all the timers, the LCD config, the front display config, the channels, the network mounts etc... and with my PC being upstairs and the Vu downstairs, it cripples me going up and down stairs to check each stage. Oh well... I'll have to do it later when my vertigo goes away.
 
I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. :(

It's such a pain re-setting up all the timers, the LCD config, the front display config, the channels, the network mounts etc...
I believe backing up those timer*.xml´s dont count as restoring settings, so take those to PC and then do a clean install and move those xml´s back. LCD can be backed up with Open Webif.
 
Whenever I have tried backing up the timer xml files, it never works when I send them back, so I gave up on them... unless I am doing the wrong ones. I was saving the autotimers.xml and timers.xml from the etc\enigma2\ folder, is that right?
 
Whenever I have tried backing up the timer xml files, it never works when I send them back, so I gave up on them... unless I am doing the wrong ones. I was saving the autotimers.xml and timers.xml from the etc\enigma2\ folder, is that right?
I'm no expert, but is this a clue from earlier today....
The file that is used/edited resides in /etc/enigma2/ It is kept in RAM, so manual adjustments must be done while E2 is stopped. Auto timers are polled regularly and the details are added to timers.xml, which also resides in the same location. timers.xml is what schedules the recordings.

You specify the show parameters in autotimers.xml, it polls the epg data, any qualifying instances are added to timers.xml. You can specify the channel (by service reference), day/s, time slots, recording location etc.
 
Whenever I have tried backing up the timer xml files, it never works when I send them back, so I gave up on them... unless I am doing the wrong ones. I was saving the autotimers.xml and timers.xml from the etc\enigma2\ folder, is that right?
Yes, those are the ones. But you hate to put Enigma2 to sleep when sending them back or reboot Enigma2 after they are in place.
 
Ah, maybe that's the problem... I was sending them over along with all the other config files, and expecting them to show up. It can be very confusing to a noob like me, when different aspects of the configuration, require different actions to register them with the system.
 
Yes, when I do flash I always do a clean install and just manually copy over autotimer.xml, timers.xml and settings files from a backup.

I put box to sleep using telnet "init 4" first before copying these three files over to newly flashed vix and telnet "init 6" to reboot box after copying over the files.

Also, delete your epg.dat file at same time as box is asleep as there was, a few builds ago now like, a problem with corrupt epg cache.

I don't have any issues with my solo2 but I don't have any plugins installed other than default ones and my bouquet list is straight forward 28.2.
 
Last edited:
Okay, everything back up and running, and for the first time ever, a successful transfer of the timers... so a big thanks for that one. I have deleted the epg data and recreated that on my USB drive.

Seems a shame actually, the Duo2 has 1GB of flash memory, yet I use it for no more than I did with my Uno, which was probably about 90MB... is it really such a bad idea to use the flash memory for anything other than the default system stuff?

I haven't turned the logging back on yet, I'm a bit wary after today. My log was set to a 1MB maximum, yet it still created over 480MB worth of log file, so that maximum setting seems pretty worthless.
 
I have a solo2 which has same flash size as your duo2 I thought and I don't have a problem. I haven't got any plugins installed except what is default on image (and bluehd skin).

I use flash for picons but and image itself. I don't use it for EPG or obviously recording.

I would leave logging off and if you haven't installed any plugins then leave it as it is and slowly introduce one plugin after another.
 
Yes, when I do flash I always do a clean install and just manually copy over autotimer.xml, timers.xml and settings files from a backup.

I put box to sleep using telnet "init 4" first before copying these three files over to newly flashed vix and telnet "init 6" to reboot box after copying over the files.

Also, delete your epg.dat file at same time as box is asleep as there was, a few builds ago now like, a problem with corrupt epg cache.

I don't have any issues with my solo2 but I don't have any plugins installed other than default ones and my bouquet list is straight forward 28.2.

can you provide full list of settings files please?

thanks
 
I have a solo2 which has same flash size as your duo2 I thought and I don't have a problem. I haven't got any plugins installed except what is default on image (and bluehd skin).

I use flash for picons but and image itself. I don't use it for EPG or obviously recording.

I would leave logging off and if you haven't installed any plugins then leave it as it is and slowly introduce one plugin after another.

The only plugin I use is the filebrowser, I try the screengrab plugins every now and again, but they always seem really flaky. One seems to ignore the button presses, and the other is really restricted with regards to output location.

Other than that, I have no idea what most of the plugins do, and have no use for the ones that seem fairly obvious. I tend to stick with the Magic-HD-Noire skin. I make my own Picons that I store on the USB as I have a big set for the LCD screen and a small set for the EPG listing, so that's about it.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top