Had an issue myself when updating from 073 to 077. My TM Nano 3t came up with black screen wait for reboot but never recovered, gave it 20 mins. Had to resort to USB. This recovered me back to 070 so I thought I would give the auto update another go. Did the same thing, USB recovered it again. Didn't have this problem going from 070 to 073 doing on line update through the vix menu previously.
This may or may not be related but when I first got my box a couple of weeks ago I plugged the ethernet into the back of the box (before setting up fixed IP ) and it my took out my broad band connection. DSL to the router was ok but all the devices wired and Wifi lost internet connection (Son was on Xbox live at the time, you'd have thought the world had ended). Unplugged the cable from 3t and everything started working again. Reason I mention this is that this happened again during the software update (On line method, not USB). I have my work around now but if anyone has an idea why this is happening I would be grateful for some tips.