Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[ViX_Misc] Virtual keyboard bugs

I am trying to enter urls etc using the Suls IPTV Enigma2 IPTV m3u to bouquet plugin. The virtual keyboard is very rudimentary and I cannot find where the delete key is. It is almost impossible to work without it. Can anybody help?
 
The problem with the new virtual keyboard is not the layout but the missing adaption in other plugings. I tried to contact several developers but did not get any answer. Examples: Wikipedia (in Full HD mode), MP3 Browser.

So I will live with it and now know that the stop key works as backspace.
 
Hi,
The problem with the new virtual keyboard is not the layout but the missing adaption in other plugings. I tried to contact several developers but did not get any answer. Examples: Wikipedia (in Full HD mode), MP3 Browser.
I noted that some coders have wrapped odd code around calls to the VirtualKeyBoard. These wrappings may have had purpose a LONG time ago but they should have all been removed when the current generation functionality of VirtualKeyBoard was created. My changes do not change these core functions. The wrappings I noted attempt to add SMS functionality to the VirtualKeyBoard. This has been native to the VirtualKeyBoard for quite a while.
So I will live with it and now know that the stop key works as backspace.
The HELP button is your friend. Where possible all my code changes will be including integrated help to assist users to identify all the key / button options.

If my plans and designs are allowed to proceed and be accepted into the code you will note that key / button usage will become significantly more predictable and uniform across the UI. This should make it easier for all users to become more familiar with navigation and functions across more of the Enigma2 UI.
There have been more changes to PLi version. Makes it more like a real keyboard.
I will be reviewing the OpenPLi changes to see if they improve functionality and don't compromise the code. I believe that the OpenPLi changes may require significant skin changes across all OpenViX skins. This is not an issue for OpenPLi who use their own default skins but it is a significant problem for OpenViX as the default and many other skins are shared with other images!

It is disappointing that the people changing this code are not updating the documentation to reflect the changes. My review will include a documentation update that will include details for any skin changes required.

Reviewing the OpenPLi VirtualKeyBoard changes is in my task list but not yet at the head of the list.

Regards,
Ian.
 
This is how the PLi keyboard looks like. A keyboard that looks like a real keyboard.

Apparently, this is Eye Candy. So the claim that the changes were to make the keyboard like a real keyboard will not be honoured.
 
Last edited:
PLI commits for wide buttons here.


Code:
https://github.com/OpenPLi/enigma2/commit/7f6a5af95fcd9cf1ecfb984c073167f68e41ddcc

https://github.com/OpenPLi/enigma2/commit/acd4853d95483837767a06c29ccc54bc0916843c

https://github.com/OpenPLi/enigma2/commit/d9dc1f9c288d3fbdbcc186109bc0b1bab85d7e47
 
It is a pity Taapat has made such a mess of the previously nice clean code.
 
Looks are made by code.



Taapat had suggested to make the keyboard look like a real keyboard on PLI, I'm pretty it got rejected by someone. Taapat then added it.

I'm not discussing other colour changes. Just the look.
 
Correction, it was Pr2

The claim that some languages would lose buttons is contradicted by the fact that not all languages have the wide keyboard.

Is it possible to have the space bar bigger on VK like on real keyboard?

This is not easy to do. The simplicity of the code lies in the easy calculations required to calculate the cursor position. Making any keys an irregular size would complicate the code for little return. This is not a change I would like to tackle at this late stage.



The other issue is that some of the keyboard designs take advantage of every grid location available per screen. Removing available cells would require a rework of all the keyboards.
 
Hi,
This is how the PLi keyboard looks like. A keyboard that looks like a real keyboard.

Apparently, this is Eye Candy. So the claim that the changes were to make the keyboard like a real keyboard will not be honoured.
This post does not reflect what I have actually posted. I did call the keyboard "eye candy" because it is visually pleasing. Unfortunately the many bugs and issues with the OpenPLi code have not been reported here. I have not dismissed coming up with a visual update but that won't happen until I can find an acceptable way to code the changes such that the code is not messy, bloated or more complicated than is warranted.

It should also be noted that this visual change will require lots of complex skin changes for OpenViX and all images based on OpenViX.

I stand by my original proposal that the newer VirtualKeyBoard is closer to physical keyboards because the layout / location of the buttons is much closer than the previous version. Having the different sized buttons is nice to look at but has little appreciable benefit when actually using the VirtualKeyBoard.

Regards,
Ian.
 
Last edited:
Hi,
The claim that some languages would lose buttons is contradicted by the fact that not all languages have the wide keyboard.
I believe that all the keyboards I edited or created are in the wider form factor. If I have missed any locales please report them to me so I can correct them.

Regards,
Ian.
 
@IanSav

We have this error in Open Black Hole
Space

1165.726> [ActionMap] Keymap 'VirtualKeyBoardActions' -> Action = 'select'
< 1165.726> Traceback (most recent call last):
< 1165.726> File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/ActionMap.py", line 71, in action
< 1165.726> File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/ActionMap.py", line 51, in action
< 1165.726> File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/VirtualKeyBoard.py", line 992, in processSelect
< 1165.726> File "<string>", line 1
< 1165.726> self['text'].char(.encode('UTF-8'))
< 1165.726> ^
< 1165.726> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
 
Hi Matrix10,
@IanSav

We have this error in Open Black Hole
Space

1165.726> [ActionMap] Keymap 'VirtualKeyBoardActions' -> Action = 'select'
< 1165.726> Traceback (most recent call last):
< 1165.726> File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/ActionMap.py", line 71, in action
< 1165.726> File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/ActionMap.py", line 51, in action
< 1165.726> File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/VirtualKeyBoard.py", line 992, in processSelect
< 1165.726> File "<string>", line 1
< 1165.726> self['text'].char(.encode('UTF-8'))
< 1165.726> ^
< 1165.726> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
From where did the source code come?

Can you please post a copy of VirtualKeyBoard.py that generates this error. May I also have the complete log to follow what happened.

Regards,
Ian.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top