Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Vu+ Duo - Issues Streaming HD Channels using the Web Interface and VLC

mcquaim

ViX Beta Tester ,
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
2,708
Reaction score
15
Points
0
Hi there,

I'm currently using the Vix 1.3 image and I'm having issues streaming HD channels via VLC from the Web Interface.

The VLC player will launch and show a picture for 1-2 seconds and then streaming will stop. I can hit play again and the same thing happens again. The SD channels will stream fine.

Has anyone been able to stream HD channels from the Vu+ Duo to a PC/Laptop?

Cheers,
Mac
 
Work fine here no problem using latest VLC player.
 
Cheers stanman, you are on the ball this evening!!

I am using VLC version 1.1.5, I think this is the up-to-date version??
 
Sounds like a network bottleneck. Are you streaming over wireless? Even worse would be if both the Vu+ and the PC are both connected by wireless, or if you only have a 54g or inferior network.
 
Hi Huevos, only able to get back in now!

My Vu+ is wireless but the streaming of HD channels will not work on my wireless laptop or my wired pc! The router may not be the greatest alright as it's the standard one supplied by my broadband provider!

How do I check what network standard I have?
 
HD channels will not work well unless both the box and the computer are wired, or at least the box and computer are both connected to wireless N and are close to the router to get 100mbps+ speeds between the two.
 
My Vu+ is wireless
How is it wireless? Most likely thing is that link is not up to the job or is in a signal grey spot so is going slow. If the connection is only wireless G (or even worse wireless B) it is not up to the job. You need at least wireless N or much better a wired LAN link.
 
Thanks for the info lads!

My router is a motorola netopia 2247 62 model. It says it supports both b/g standards. I have a belkin wireless dongle connected to my Vu+ Duo and it's a g standard.

From reading your posts I'm assuming my setup is just not good enough! It would be a lot of hassle to run a LAN cable so I'll avoid that hopefully!

So, my question is will a n standard router do the job? I assume I'll need an n standard dongle too to connect to my Vu+ Duo?

What is a good make/model to go for?
 
I've got wireless N on both router and VU+ and it is still not good enough for HD streaming to the computer because there is too much distance between the two devices and the raw X.264 from your satellite feed is just too large (about 8 gig per hour).

I'd recommend Powerline home networking which would be cheaper than upgrading both your devices, something like this

Code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-XAVB101-100UKS-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00193PPOS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295190036&sr=1-2
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered one of those, see how that works!

Thanks for the help folks!
 
Hi guys

Also you need to take into account that your graphics board in your pc can support HD otherwise your get picture break up if say the on screen display contains alot of action.

regards
satmanbasil
 
Hi folks,

I installed that Netgear powerline network adapter last night and unfortunately I'm having the same outcome! My laptop is wireless so guessing it might be that the g standard network is just not good enough!

I have a pc also and it's wired directly to the router and the HD streams are still breaking up on it. I am not sure of what quality the network card is though in the pc. Perhaps the router is a bad brand and not good quality either!

I am going to get the loan of my girlfriends top spec Sony laptop and wire it directly and see if it can play the HD streams. If it can't then I'll put the problem down to my router perhaps!

Thanks for the help!
 
i also had issues with streaming hd content to my laptop and tried replacing my router and wiring direct - same problem. so started using latest windows media player instead of vlc player and HD streams perfect now.
 
Hi irishcris,

That's interesting, I didn't think that windows media player could play those streams! I must try this out this evening.

Thanks again!
 
yes it can play them no problem. you can either set them up in options to automatically play them or just do it manually every times and click open with windows media player
 
Hi, I can stream to my laptop working fine at home, but my question is that can i stream to my laptop while am in the office from my vu duo at home?
 
Hi folks,

I've tried using Windows Media Player to stream from the Vu+ Duo but now I'm getting and error on that!

The error code is C00D11B1 - Cannot play the file!

Anyone come across this? Irishcris had said in a previous post that he was able to use WMP for streaming..
 
Hi again,

The above error seems to be related to Vista as I tried my pc that has Win7 and I'm able to stream using Windows Media Player although it still doesn't stream very well.

It is slightly better than VLC but still the stream only lasts for 5-10 seconds and then closes!

I think it looks like my network is just not quick enough, maybe even the network card in the pc is too old..
 
Hi jfk,

I seen a sticky explaining exactly how to do this! I haven't tried this yet myself but I believe it's not that hard to set up.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...-to-stream-your-VU-Duo-over-the-WEB-using-VLC

Thanks,
I tried the link above but i cant find it there how i can stream from my box while am away form home.e.g in a friend place or office.stream to my laptop and enjoy the match when am in another friend house. am not sure if this is possible.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top