Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Solo2] what is the OE-Alliance core and why is it updated so much?

chrcoluk

Forum Supporter
Donated Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2014
Messages
164
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
UK
Simple question, why is this OE alliance thing updated so much and what is it? and why do they not make it backwards compatible with existing settings backups? It does feel as is if the online update feature is almost redundant as usb flashes are required almost every month and now for the 2nd time in 8 months to use the latest apollo I have to manually restore my settings/timers? which is about an hour's work.

Have I misunderstood the announcements?

my build # is 017, it wont save it in the box properly.
 
Last edited:
It takes less than 30 minutes to do a Virgin flash and restore plugins and timers.

Did it on 5 boxes all done and tested under 3 hours.

The changes are required as newer kernel and OE is not compatible, new drivers and plugins so a restore will lead to far more issues.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
how long it takes differs from person to person, I have to go through all the detailed settings pages, write them down what they are, and then go through them all again on a restore.

Then its plugins (which seem down on apollo, will post in new thread) and timers etc.

Please explain why OE 2.3 is required on apollo and it couldnt wait.
 
In fairness Stanman, That maybe the case for people like yourself who know these boxes inside out but alot of people are not experts and these things take time, An hour at least. no offence intended :)

It takes less than 30 minutes to do a Virgin flash and restore plugins and timers.
 
You don't have to update if you don't want to.

It's a hobbyist image and continually being updated, mostly incrementally sometimes more extensively. No user is forced to upgrade but then will miss out on new features etc.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
In fairness Stanman, That maybe the case for people like yourself who know these boxes inside out but alot of people are not experts and these things take time, An hour at least. no offence intended :)

None taken.

Even when I was new and images did not have backed up.settings etc. It was never such a hassle to update.

These are hobbyist boxes and people need to know how do do things back up setting is handy but I still do a Virgin flash.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
I really don't understand peeps moaning n groaning over fresh installs, it really baffles me.
I, for one appreciate all the hard work and efforts team ViX do, without these guys you would be shafted.
I have tried various images, but ViX offers the best, not only in the quality of the image, but the support and ever growing improvements these guys do to make ViX the best!
Please peeps, just appreciate the work these guys do and stop moaning over trivial things like doing virgin installs!!
 
You see Andy the problem is the quality of the vix image is just so high now and the expectations of user's of the vix image are just as high so when anything goes wrong it's like they can't believe it, (How could this happen ha ha)
Just goes to show how far vix have come and how brilliant it really is, I think that alone is a massive compliment to the guys who make this image, yet it can come across as moaning some times but I don't think thats how its intended.
People seem to forget its free and done by people who dedicate their spare time to it, No matter what image I've ever tried I always come back to vix, always.


I really don't understand peeps moaning n groaning over fresh installs, it really baffles me.
I, for one appreciate all the hard work and efforts team ViX do, without these guys you would be shafted.
I have tried various images, but ViX offers the best, not only in the quality of the image, but the support and ever growing improvements these guys do to make ViX the best!
Please peeps, just appreciate the work these guys do and stop moaning over trivial things like doing virgin installs!!
 
People seem to forget too that since the recent OE updates, kernel updates, driver updates... The feeds have almost always been set to unstable.
There's a reason feeds are set to unstable & it's a users choice if they want to do an update while set as unstable.
If that update causes issues, you've found atleast one reason why it's been set as unstable.
Also, the more you flash a box, the easier it gets.
I fresh flash a Solo2, have all required channel lists & tuners set-up to a 5 LNB multi sat dish, oscam running, all within the time of an ITV ad break without leaving the couch.
Obviously adding extra plugins would take longer, especially when the feeds are down.
Don't know how anyone could make it any easier?
 
You don't have to update if you don't want to.

It's a hobbyist image and continually being updated, mostly incrementally sometimes more extensively. No user is forced to upgrade but then will miss out on new features etc.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

it may well be a hobbyist image Stanman , but for you to say they don't have to update if they don't want too ??
what has happened to the good images of the past ?? ie the version 3 808 image which was stable ?
they are no longer stored in your downloads , so yes , they are being FORCED to update.
 
it may well be a hobbyist image Stanman , but for you to say they don't have to update if they don't want too ??
what has happened to the good images of the past ?? ie the version 3 808 image which was stable ?
they are no longer stored in your downloads , so yes , they are being FORCED to update.

No one is forced to update, please use your preffered image.
 
would like to go back to the 808 build as i found that more stable , where can i find this image judge ?
 
Well sadly my question never got answered.

After a bit of googling I believe the OE stuff is like the base code and vix is on top of it.

Also it seems people have been managing to manually backup/restore timers and settings files, if that still works why cant a tool be made to automate that? I didnt really buy my box as a hobby, I brought it as its technically superior to alternatives.

So the question is what was the repercussions to sticking to OE alliance core 2.2? why was 2.3 needed mid apollo build? Given the lack of reply I think its fair to assume it was done simply because its newer and with the attitude if people dont like it tough, but its that sort of attitude which will scare people away.

It also seems its good I picked build 024 given the problems been reported. From a release standpoint its logical to assume later build numbers = more stability, but the entire coding framework was bumped after 24 builds whilst keeping the apollo name.
 
would like to go back to the 808 build as i found that more stable , where can i find this image judge ?

I have it but I am worried if I put it on webspace for you I be breaching copyright or something, so need permission to.
 
I really don't understand peeps moaning n groaning over fresh installs, it really baffles me.
I, for one appreciate all the hard work and efforts team ViX do, without these guys you would be shafted.
I have tried various images, but ViX offers the best, not only in the quality of the image, but the support and ever growing improvements these guys do to make ViX the best!
Please peeps, just appreciate the work these guys do and stop moaning over trivial things like doing virgin installs!!


with all due respect its not trivial.

plus the seller (sponsor) of my box recommended vix, maybe he shouldnt be doing that, if its only for hobbyists prepared to spend hours reconfiguring boxes on updates.
 
plus the seller (sponsor) of my box recommended vix, maybe he shouldnt be doing that, if its only for hobbyists prepared to spend hours reconfiguring boxes on updates.
It's up to you if you wan't to update from a pre-installed stable image though? :confused:
 
Well I had to update as I was having problems with streaming to pc via webif and I was advised to update to fix it, plus you stopped supporting the feeds.

I respect this is coded for free (still I donated) but my advice is slow down the updates, dont update OE alliance core on minor build updates and when you do update it, update the restore functionality so it can convert old backups to new config file format, this will be technically possible but I respect its probably a pain in the backside to do.

eg. I see all the old settings still exist from zeus to helios but yet a zeus backup couldnt be imported to helios even tho the settings still exist. I expect this has caused a fragmented user base because people cannot be bothered to reconfigure their boxes. Maybe I am wrong tho and all vix users are on apollo :)

Also I assume as a developer you want as many people using your new stuff as possible, so its not good to put barriers in the way.
 
that is the issue i had too chrcoluk, the webif, the last image i used before helios and zue, then appollo
the feeds did stop for the image but i can get round that , all i want is a stable image that works and does what it is supposed to do
but alas, they no longer hold the image in there download archives, so yess we are FORCED to stick with the newer versions.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are NOT forced to update. If you chose to do so just do an image backup first and store it on a USB stick or other PC or similar. That way you can just flash your backup and be back where you were.

I for one appreciate the regular updates and apply them all to the three boxes I use. Personally I find it a doddle and not time consuming at all. A search of the threads will point you to the timers which you can manually copy to make life even easier.

At the risk of offending people, which is not my intention, it would appear some people just want to be spoon fed. For those people I suggest they stick to the official sky box.
 
Back on topic please.
Basically an image consists of two parts:
1- Linux, as it is the operating
2- Einigma2 as the DVB-application

Additionally some plugins may be pre-installed.

Ad1: The OpenEmbedded organisation creates Linux for embedded systems. As an STB has only limited sources available, and only limited tasks to fulfil (after all it is not a multi purpose PC) a dedicated Linux distribution is being used. ViX shares their OE with other teams. For all the details about our OE see
Code:
https://github.com/oe-alliance

For all details about the OE-organisation see
Code:
http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Main_Page

It may be clear that Linux consists of a huge number of packages. We do our best to keep it up-to-date, which is required for several reasons (a.o for safety, remember the recent HartBleed bug). Just the very same reason why MS keeps Windows up-to-date.


Ad 2: Enigma2 is the main (in fact the only) application running on your STB. So all you see, all you interact with is E2. It takes care of everything related to watching and recording. It also provides the Graphical User Interface you use to interact with the box.

Compare it wit a PC on which you have just one program running full screen: that gives you the idea that you only deal with that program, and leaves you with the idea that only that program is alive. But on the background you always need the operating system, without which you can't run a PC at all.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top