Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[ViX_Misc] What is the policy for supporting new receivers?

twol

Moderator
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
9,629
Reaction score
215
Points
63
Location
Bavaria
Do you always take on new receivers as soon as a member of the Open Alliance has committed and working support for a new receiver or is there more to the decision, other than increased ViX support overhead consideration for each new model?

Just keen to know before looking at new purchase. :)
 
Do you always take on new receivers as soon as a member of the Open Alliance has committed and working support for a new receiver or is there more to the decision, other than increased ViX support overhead consideration for each new model?

Just keen to know before looking at new purchase. :)

No, just because a member of the OE-A has added support for a particular receiver does not mean it will ever have ViX support, there are many examples such as the Dreambox models and the SH4 based receivers. we dont really have a particular process for getting ViX support except for the fact that we want to and the manufacturer is willing to work with us to iron out any bugs we find in the drivers etc.
 
We've got no hard and fast policy, also we do not support all machines that are in the OE-A GIT.

What receiver specifically are you looking at?
 
No, just because a member of the OE-A has added support for a particular receiver does not mean it will ever have ViX support, there are many examples such as the Dreambox models and the SH4 based receivers. we dont really have a particular process for getting ViX support except for the fact that we want to and the manufacturer is willing to work with us to iron out any bugs we find in the drivers etc.

Have TM started to engage properly with ViX? Later ViX images have become unstable on TM-TWIN-OE, so much so that I reverted to a 2013 4D image for customers


Sent from a telephonic contraption
 
Have TM started to engage properly with ViX? Later ViX images have become unstable on TM-TWIN-OE, so much so that I reverted to a 2013 4D image for customers

Un-stable in what way exactly? Might help if you post a report in vix support section including debug logs.
 
To be honest I am not aware of any major issues with the older TM E2 boxes, but then again I have not really tested on any of them for a while due to time constraints. if you have any specific issues please make a bug report, we need users to tell us when things dont work so that we can look into those issues.
 
I'm not complaining!! Just find that in general newer builds (from the 'named' builds, Zeus etc) require more reboots than older v3.0
When I setup a box for someone I try to do it in such a way that they won't be calling me endlessly!!

I have tried the Apollo.107 with a swap file running the blueHD skin and it looks excellent though


Sent from a telephonic contraption
 
I'm not complaining!! Just find that in general newer builds (from the 'named' builds, Zeus etc) require more reboots than older v3.0
When I setup a box for someone I try to do it in such a way that they won't be calling me endlessly!!

I have tried the Apollo.107 with a swap file running the blueHD skin and it looks excellent though


Sent from a telephonic contraption

No one is saying that you are complaining but we need users to tell us when things dont work, so we can investigate, we just dont have the manpower to check every image / box and feature.
 
Do you really need a swap file? I've never had to use one on any TM box, even on their lower specked E2 boxes.
 
Do you really need a swap file? I've never had to use one on any TM box, even on their lower specked E2 boxes.

Good point, using a swap file where one is not needed can in it self cause instabilities in a otherwise stable image.
 
Good point, using a swap file where one is not needed can in it self cause instabilities in a otherwise stable image.

Always thought the same but...
With the BlueHD skin I found that the ViX spinner (I know it's not that in that skin) type thing became very common.
Adding swap file through USB reduced it.
Although, when going to 'info' it did show loads of free memory


Sent from a telephonic contraption
 
Always thought the same but...
With the BlueHD skin I found that the ViX spinner (I know it's not that in that skin) type thing became very common.
Adding swap file through USB reduced it.
Although, when going to 'info' it did show loads of free memory


Sent from a telephonic contraption

I'm not discounting your observations, more a note to some users who automatically setup a swap file without seeing if one is actually needed. I have even seen people setup swap files on receivers like the Duo2 and Solo2, receivers that should never need swap files under any circumstance.
 
The TWIN-OE should not either I thought...
But I've found with it is better than without. That's using the exact same image in both cases. I will experiment over Christmas on one to see for the fun


Sent from a telephonic contraption
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top