Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

WiFi does not start after reboot

Why do eth0 and wlan3 each have the same address?
Quite simple. I control my STB also with my home automation (not HA) and my remotes (Unfolded Circle R2/R3) and therefore I need a fixed IP independant of the used network. I just started an USB flash so that I really have a clean setup.

Lets see what birdman finds. It is not urgent. I still have a free week to update all my systems.

Have a nice weekend Ralf
 
Quite simple. I control my STB also with my home automation (not HA) and my remotes (Unfolded Circle R2/R3) and therefore I need a fixed IP independant of the used network. I just started an USB flash so that I really have a clean setup.

Lets see what birdman finds. It is not urgent. I still have a free week to update all my systems.

Have a nice weekend Ralf
Do you mean that you occasionally want to use ethernet and sometimes use wifi? I don't know whether enigma will actually enable both interfaces simultaneously properly. In any case, apart from the enigma inner workings, your network router would not be able to route to two different mac addresses with the same IP address. Unless you mean that you are using some "wake on lan" technique to activate the receiver from deep standby with the wifi disabled? I have never tested having both interfaces working although enigma will certainly enable both (with a green tick mark in the gui) but then will ask you to choose one as preferred so it can change the order of the interfaces file. In any case you couldn't/shouldn't use the same IP address on two interfaces.
 
I don't know whether enigma will actually enable both interfaces simultaneously properly.
Linux will happily let you put the same address onto two different interfaces.
Not that it does anything useful, as it actually prevent any network traffic (at leats it does on the system where I'm typing this, which is where I tested this).

I have never tested having both interfaces working although enigma will certainly enable both (with a green tick mark in the gui) but then will ask you to choose one as preferred so it can change the order of the interfaces file.
Not convinced that makes any difference. The Linux network code will be looking at the Metric value of the routing tables, and I don't see them being affected.

In any case you couldn't/shouldn't use the same IP address on two interfaces.
I've taken this to be an either/or setup.
 
BTW. I managed to start some tests this evening.
I discovered that the Wifi interface will respond to pings, but ssh/telnet/OpenWebIF do not respond. Since I have no access at this point I can't see what is going on.

I'll have to do some copying of my debug logs onto persistent storage....
 
Do you mean that you occasionally want to use ethernet and sometimes use wifi? I don't know whether enigma will actually enable both interfaces simultaneously properly. In any case, apart from the enigma inner workings, your network router would not be able to route to two different mac addresses with the same IP address. Unless you mean that you are using some "wake on lan" technique to activate the receiver from deep standby with the wifi disabled? I have never tested having both interfaces working although enigma will certainly enable both (with a green tick mark in the gui) but then will ask you to choose one as preferred so it can change the order of the interfaces file. In any case you couldn't/shouldn't use the same IP address on two interfaces.
No. My config started a decade or so ago and the device was sometimes on cable and sometimes on WiFi. As I already did a factory reset and used the occasion to create a new master-config for me I can change the ethernet part for a test and set it to DHCP.

Ralf
 
Linux will happily let you put the same address onto two different interfaces.
Not that it does anything useful, as it actually prevent any network traffic (at leats it does on the system where I'm typing this, which is where I tested this).


Not convinced that makes any difference. The Linux network code will be looking at the Metric value of the routing tables, and I don't see them being affected.


I've taken this to be an either/or setup.
The network setup in enigma will place an "auto" before an interface description (iface) with a tick mark. When you choose to disable one it will remove the "auto" in the /etc/network/interfaces file.
Here's my Vu Uno interfaces file (it has no wifi) which has a reserved IP address in the router. Note the "auto eth0":


Code:
# automatically generated by enigma2
# do NOT change manually!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
udhcpc_opts -T1 -t9
  hostname $(hostname)

Here's my AX61 HD interfaces file which is only using wifi (no ethernet at that location). It uses a fixed IP address definition as I can't reserve an IP address for it in the router due to random MAC usage in the USB wifi dongle. Note the "auto wlan0" and lack of "auto eth0":

Code:
# automatically generated by enigma2
# do NOT change manually!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp
udhcpc_opts -T1 -t9
  hostname $(hostname)

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
  hostname $(hostname)
    address 192.168.0.127
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.0.1
    pre-up wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.wlan0.conf -B -dd -Dnl80211 || true
    pre-down wpa_cli -iwlan0 terminate || true
 
One of my posts got lost I think. Yesterday I did an USB flash to be as clean as possible and now my interfaces looks like this

# automatically generated by enigma2
# do NOT change manually!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan3
iface wlan3 inet static
hostname $(hostname)
address 192.168.178.226
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.178.1
pre-up wl-config.sh -m wpa2 -k 6780723027308843 -s "RBFritz5G"
post-down wl-down.sh

iface eth0 inet dhcp
udhcpc_opts -T1 -t9
hostname $(hostname)

but WiFi did not start the last times.
 
Hmmm....
Just realized that if I put a USB Wifi adaptor into my et8000 I could test this.
And yes, the WLAN does not start at boot, but does start if I go into the menu and Restart the Network.
Hmmm....bit of a cock-up on my part.

I was using the same IP address for my TV and the (unused for a few years) Wifi adapter on my et8000.
Also, I changed my network SSID a year ago, and I hadn't updated the config.

Once I fixed both of those then a config with Wifi enabled and Ethernet disabled works fine at boot time.
 
One of my posts got lost I think. Yesterday I did an USB flash to be as clean as possible and now my interfaces looks like this

# automatically generated by enigma2
# do NOT change manually!



but WiFi did not start the last times.
Ok - that's odd. Your interfaces files looks almost the same as mine (on my wifi box), except that wifi is not starting on your box, but works every time on mine!
I'm out of ideas!
 
It uses a fixed IP address definition as I can't reserve an IP address for it in the router due to random MAC usage in the USB wifi dongle.
Really? My wifi dongles all get the same MAC address (the one printed on the dongle itself) each time I insert them on a Linux system.
 
I do see that both Joe_90 and I have configs which use "pre-up wpa_supplicant" and "pre-down wpa_cli".

The OP (with the problem) has "pre-up wl-config.sh" and "post-down wl-down.sh".

I take it this is related to the type of Wifi adapter used.
But it is a difference, so we can't test the actual problem case.
 
Really? My wifi dongles all get the same MAC address (the one printed on the dongle itself) each time I insert them on a Linux system.
Yep - the first three pairs are the same each time, but the last three pairs are random. I don't see a way to change this behaviour in the driver. My phone generates completely random MAC addresses (a pseudo security measure) but there is a setting where I can turn this feature off.
 
I do see that both Joe_90 and I have configs which use "pre-up wpa_supplicant" and "pre-down wpa_cli".

The OP (with the problem) has "pre-up wl-config.sh" and "post-down wl-down.sh".

I take it this is related to the type of Wifi adapter used.
But it is a difference, so we can't test the actual problem case.
I saw this but I have no idea why the config is this way as it is automatically generated .
 
One of my posts got lost I think. Yesterday I did an USB flash to be as clean as possible and now my interfaces looks like this

# automatically generated by enigma2
# do NOT change manually!



but WiFi did not start the last times.
i assume those files do exist in /etc ???? .... wl-config.sh & wl-down.sh
 
Yep - the first three pairs are the same each time, but the last three pairs are random. I don't see a way to change this behaviour in the driver.
What driver(s) produces the random ones?

My phone generates completely random MAC addresses (a pseudo security measure) but there is a setting where I can turn this feature off.
Yes, but here you can turn it off "by network".
 
I think "pre-up wl-config.sh" and "post-down wl-down.sh" was the hot tip. I did not find these shell scripts anywhere. I will initialize the WiFi another time.

Funny thing: I set both of my critical STBs to DHCP and both reconnect at boot. Interfaces looks like that:

# automatically generated by enigma2
# do NOT change manually!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
hostname $(hostname)
address 192.168.178.226
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.178.1

auto wlan3
iface wlan3 inet dhcp
udhcpc_opts -T1 -t9
hostname $(hostname)
pre-up wl-config.sh -m wpa2 -k 6780723027308843 -s "RBFritz5G"
post-down wl-down.sh

Ralf
 
Last edited:
I think "pre-up wl-config.sh" and "post-down wl-down.sh" was the hot tip. I did not find these shell scripts anywhere. I will initialize the WiFi another time.

Funny thing: I set both of my critical STBs to DHCP and both reconnect at boot. Interfaces looks like that:



Ralf
I assume a driver was installed for your wifi ( is that an external usb wifi device?), so check that those drivers are still being installed - otherwise they are not typical scripts for internal wifi that I have seen
 
Hi,
these are internal WiFi devices of VU+ Duo4K and Ultimo4K and these scripts are in /usr/bin.

btw. I start my STB with start to standby and this way I get a crash loop until I switch it on. It is alway the same situation

< 112.905648> [decoder][eDVBText] resetPID
< 112.905661> [eTSMPEGDecoder] FCC_DECODER_STOP OK!
< 112.909162> [eTSMPEGDecoder] FCC_STOP OK!
< 112.909170> [eFCCDecoder] Close /dev/fcc0
< 112.909178> [decoder][eDVBText] freeCache
< 112.910503> [eDVBLocalTimerHandler] remove channel 0x730930
< 112.910785> [eEPGTransponderDataReader] remove channel 0x730930
< 112.912904> PC: 000884c4
< 112.912916> Fault Address: 5c45665c
< 112.912923> Error Code: 517

Attached 4 consecutive crashes. When I start to a channel it does not happen.

Ralf
 

Attachments

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top