Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Duo2] All sorts of crashes and exceptions after fresh flash of 3.2.023

Logs show an IOError. Probably out of RAM for some reason.
Or (guessing a bit here) it could be the result of something going wrong with the flash and bad blocks being used. So try a USB flash from fresh to see how that fares.
 
Ok, so did a full reflash of the newest 3.2.025 build - disabled all network and let it run for 4-5 hours without problems. Also I disabled port forwarding on my router to prevent possible incoming connections.
After that I enabled networking, and installed the sundtek control panel, as well as the Magic-FHD skin.
I selected to save EPG data on the harddrive, and checked that there was only used 10% space of the internal flash.

Suddenly I got an exception that made the box halt completely - it couldn't even restart after the 10s timeout. I shut down the box and restarted it, and when it came up another exception occurred.
The two exceptions have been attached:
1: Suddenly this occurred: View attachment enigma2_crash_1448664092.log
2: After rebooting: View attachment enigma2_crash_1448664124.log

I don't use softcam so if that's causing any issues, it should be disabled - but I guess it is when performing a clean flash?
The 2nd exception is the background check, again with the directory it cannot create, and also somehow this is the issue with the first exception.

Can any of you make anything out of this?

--EDIT---
I can confirm, that the /var/lib/opkg directory is missing - which means that the plugins list cannot be downloaded. If I manually create the directory, I can mend this problem. But why is it removed in the first place??

--EDIT 2---
I can also confirm, that the /tmp/hotplug.socket file is actually there. But the size of it is 0. I have performed a "init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6" call from putty, and after restarting the exception has now not occurred after restarting. But I'm pretty convinced that it's a matter of time before some exception occurs again.
 
Last edited:
I don't use softcam so if that's causing any issues, it should be disabled - but I guess it is when performing a clean flash?

That is checking that location and not finding it. This causes the crash. Anything that looks at /tmp location will cause a crash. As you say that the location/path should be there.
 
Do you have teh following location? /var/volatile/tmp

Do you have a symlink for tmp?

As you can see here, that should be in order:
Code:
login as: root
root@vuduo2:~# ls
logs
root@vuduo2:~# cd ..
root@vuduo2:/home# cd ..
root@vuduo2:/# ls
autofs  boot    etc     home    media   opt     run     share   tmp     var
bin     dev     hdd     lib     mnt     proc    sbin    sys     usr
root@vuduo2:/# cd tmp
root@vuduo2:/var/volatile/tmp# ls
cam.check.log   hotplug.socket  lcd4linux       nxserver_ipc
root@vuduo2:/var/volatile/tmp#
 
Again, I had to turn it off at the back, and after rebooting, the second exception occurs.

1: Exception that suddenly happenned: View attachment 45930
2: Exception after rebooting: View attachment 45931
Since you have appear to have access to the running system uploading the dmesg and messages file from /var/log after an exception might be useful.
 
1: Exception that suddenly happenned: View attachment 45930
2: Exception after rebooting: View attachment 45931
That second one isn't after a reboot - it's after enigma2 (the GUI) has restarted (the system hasn't rebooted).

Both have the symptoms of /tmp having gone away. Do you have any process running that might remove it in some way?
Mind you, the /var/lib/opkg wouldn't be affected by that.
I can also confirm, that the /tmp/hotplug.socket file is actually there. But the size of it is 0.
You'd expect it to have a size of 0. It's a (Unix) socket, so all that is there is an inode entry in the file-system (so processes can all call it by the same name).
 
Panch, you are not listening. Close the ports on your router. That is what is causing this problem.
 
Dont think he checks opkg is before installing sundtek.
Perhaps he could reflash :) check that the opkg directory is there, if so copy it to the pc, install sundtek ... Check again.
If opkg is deleted, he could then ftp back the opkg directory ..... Would get him up running perhaps ... If it is sundtek.
 
Power off your router and modem for 10 minutes. Re-flash again with Ethernet disconnected. Make sure all ports forward to receiver are closed.

If you get the issue again try using a network switch instead of connecting direct to router.
 
Thanks for all your replies, I will take them one at a time tomorrow when I have time to look at it again. Definitely some good pointers!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
If installing X deletes the opkg directory then the solution is to not install X.

Absolutely correct, but if he loses the tuner then maybe it will all work if he puts back the missing directory...... Short term until it is fixed:)
A short term resolution can sometime be better than .... Nothing:)
 
Ok, so yesterday, I got to reflash the box before leaving it for 12 hours. I have left it almost untouched from the original image, only installing channels and not adding plugins or skins. Everything is working as it should.

Also, I cut all ports from the box, beacuse I actually realised that everyting began to go wrong after setting the DMZ on the router to the IP of the VuDuo2. To sum up - these were the things that could make the box behave weirdly:
  • Install and use the Magic FHD skin
  • Installing the sundtek driver (although this has worked flawlessly the last year)
  • Enabling WOL and trying to perform a resume from WOL
  • Install Samba (and NFS)
  • Opening ports 80 and 8001-8002 to the receiver
  • Opening all other ports to the receiver (for debug)

So now I will take every step one at a time in the specified order. Since it has been mentioned numerous times that the ports should stay closed, I will try opening those if everything else works. The #28 links to another member having some issues with the samba server, which is very similar to my issue (tmp folder problems), and the issues for me also started after I installed the samba server. It will be very interesting to see what provokes the crashes. I will take some days, though, because I want to be absolutely positive that each of the points in the list is not affecting performance. At least the problems occurred quite fast, so I will expect that I can locate the error within a few days.

Panch, you are not listening. Close the ports on your router. That is what is causing this problem.
What is the purpose of a networked receiver, if you cannot schedule recordings on the go, or stream recordings while outside the house? Do you really mean that ports 80 and 8001-8002 should stay closed?
One of the other error sources could be, that I recently setup outside access to the channels using Serviio DLNA server and using DLNA to stream live tv from the box. This could correlate with the SetupTranscoder crashes I have seen. I will investigate this also, when I eventually open the ports that are used by the transcoder.

By the way, the receiver is located behind a 5-port switch which is connected to the switch in the cable modem.
 
What is the purpose of a networked receiver, if you cannot schedule recordings on the go, or stream recordings while outside the house? Do you really mean that ports 80 and 8001-8002 should stay closed?
One of the other error sources could be, that I recently setup outside access to the channels using Serviio DLNA server and using DLNA to stream live tv from the box. This could correlate with the SetupTranscoder crashes I have seen. I will investigate this also, when I eventually open the ports that are used by the transcoder.

By the way, the receiver is located behind a 5-port switch which is connected to the switch in the cable modem.

Opening the ports imo will cause the crash.

Try using a VPN.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top