Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Menus remotely accessed

  • Thread starter Thread starter magichew
  • Start date Start date
I mean: believe what you want to believe: it's your box, your network, your security and your bank account. If you're happy sleeper with the door ajar, it's fine with me.
But never say you haven't been warned about the risk of a break in.

But also remeber that your STB is a Linux PC, with root-access rights to every one who comes in. And from there your whole network can be reached.

That's not answered my question? You can apply your answer to any point of entry to your network not just a satellite box. There's a million different ways a hacker can try to access your system, there's millions of unsecured systems out there.

Your advice seems to be don't bother with a password because??? I'd like to know if you can answer my question?
 
Simply put Enigma2 was never designed with any meaningful security measure in mind and the ports that these "hackers" (and I use that term very loosely) are scanning for are not even secured by the default security measures aka the username and password you set to secure things like the OpenWebIF, Telnet and FTP.

You can set a password and username and we indeed recomend you do this but if you decide to open ports or setup port forwarding for such things as streaming your channels over the internet you can expect to be hacked sooner or later (likely sooner) unless you secure your network / receiver with SSH and VPN at a minimum.
 
So I can't imagine that hackers are even going to bother trying to hack a box that does have a password setup?

They dont have to hack past the password, the password provides almost no added security over not having one, although I still recomend setting one. as has been stated numerous times. E2 was designed at a time when security was not a real consideration and to add such security now would require E2 to be pretty much re-written from the ground up and that's simply never going to happen.

If you connect your receiver to the internet and open ports to stream channels remotely or leave it so you can remotely access the receiver for maintenance purposes you must setup adequate security above and beyond the default username and password, because any one who is looking to get into your receiver can and will just walk strait past those default security measures.

Believe me its not hard to bypass a default username and password on a E2 based receiver and there have been dozens of users post on this forum alone after their box has been hacked in this exactly this way.
 
There have been plenty of reports showing that breaking into a (password protected or not) STB happens quite a lot. The (possible) target seems to be interesting enough, as I tried to explain.
 
Very interesting, anyway rather than coming back next week to say "I think my box is being accessed remotely" I'll set up a VPN on my router :D

Thanks Larry-G and Rob Van Der Does for the explanation.
 
Very interesting, anyway rather than coming back next week to say "I think my box is being accessed remotely" I'll set up a VPN on my router :D

Thanks Larry-G and Rob Van Der Does for the explanation.

Happy to help.

I cant stress enough how important it is to secure your receiver properly if you intend to access it remotely. No scaremongering here but your receiver will be a active target for others to gain access and it is happening more and more frequently these days as hundreds and thousands of new users to E2, lazily setup boxes so they can watch channels remotely with no knowledge or consideration for the security implications.
 
Hi guys so im with VM with my superhub for my Broadband now this does not support VPN so how would/could i go about adding this
 
Shame on them!
Any chance for using your own router, or to install alternative firmware on theirs?
Sometimes an ISP-provided modem/router can be set in bridge mode (using only the modem functionality) so you can use a good private router.
 
Shame on them!
Any chance for using your own router, or to install alternative firmware on theirs?
Sometimes an ISP-provided modem/router can be set in bridge mode (using only the modem functionality) so you can use a good private router.

Set your superhub to modem only mode and invest in a router that is VPN compatible.


Thanks guys have now purchased and setup a router which supports VPN and just had to connect it to the VM superhub2 and switch that to modem mode like you stated
 
Reading this has got me all scared!

I would be screwed if someone deleted the data on my Synology NAS.

I am using a Netgear router for BT Fibre and have my Synology NAS, Vu+ and other devices connected.
My Vu+ is not open to the outside world (I think). I have done the following to secure my network:-

1) Synology NAS - Disabled admin & guest users
2) Netgear Router -Disabled WPS & Enabled Mac address filtering for Wifi devices

what more can I do ...... especially on the NAS side...

Thanks
 
As far as I know both NAS and STB (and any other device for that matter) will be safe unless you forward a port to them. This is assuming the device(s) is/are connected to a router, and not directly to the modem (internet).
The only safe ways to reach a device from the internet is via a VPN or ssh tunnel.
 
Why not just telnet your receiver and add or change the Password, The same thing happened to me about a year ago (no password) t£at deleted films and some photos which were on the hdd.

telnet your box and type
passwd -press enter
enter the required password -and press enter again
confirm the password -and press enter.
now its changed.
 
Why not just telnet your receiver and add or change the Password, The same thing happened to me about a year ago (no password) t£at deleted films and some photos which were on the hdd.

telnet your box and type
passwd -press enter
enter the required password -and press enter again
confirm the password -and press enter.
now its changed.

You've clearly not read all this thread!
 
Reading this has got me all scared!

I would be screwed if someone deleted the data on my Synology NAS.

I am using a Netgear router for BT Fibre and have my Synology NAS, Vu+ and other devices connected.
My Vu+ is not open to the outside world (I think). I have done the following to secure my network:-

1) Synology NAS - Disabled admin & guest users
2) Netgear Router -Disabled WPS & Enabled Mac address filtering for Wifi devices

what more can I do ...... especially on the NAS side...

Thanks

Why not use the VPN capability of your Synology to access your network remotely? Would give you simple and secure access to your Synology and VU+ if ever required. It's what I do.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top