Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[TM-NANO-SE] Revisiting an audio issue

robsunited

Forum Supporter
Donated Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
149
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Northern Ireland
Hi guys. I wish to revisit an issue I've had since I first bought my box a few months ago. The box is linked to a Dolby Digital 5.1 compatible surround sound system. It is connected with an optical cable. ALL of my other connected devices deliver 5.1 dolby digital sound from the system, all also connected via optical cables. I've got 'prefer ac3 track' marked as yes on my box settings, and have 'downmix' set to yes, which means I'm NOT outputting 5.1 sound. The reason 'downmix' is at yes and not 'no' (to enable 5.1 playback) is because the 'no' setting leaves me with no sound being output via optical. Any ideas guys? Would love to hear your thoughts.
 
No need to be sorry.

This could be a driver bug. I don't have an AMP so can't test.
 
You could flash newest image by others image providers like openpli, blackhole, openatv (all testing purposes only and if image provider supports your box) to see if this problem persists across all images.

If it does then it's not image related which leaves likely driver related or amp setup!

Obviously, backup your current image now and after testing you can flash back again.
 
You could flash newest image by others image providers like openpli, blackhole, openatv (all testing purposes only and if image provider supports your box) to see if this problem persists across all images.

If it does then it's not image related which leaves likely driver related or amp setup!

Obviously, backup your current image now and after testing you can flash back again.

So after testing I can only assume this is a driver issue. My amp is definitely set up properly and the issue remains across images.
 
So after testing I can only assume this is a driver issue. My amp is definitely set up properly and the issue remains across images.
Which images? I ask because OpenATV and OpenVix share (to a certain degree) common code (known as OE-A).
 
I've tried both OpenATV and Openpli. I'm getting the same results on all 3 images. I'm only guessing as I'm relatively new to all these things but I reckon that leaves a driver problem. That had been mentioned to me on my initial query away back when I first bought the box.
 
I've tried both OpenATV and Openpli. I'm getting the same results on all 3 images. I'm only guessing as I'm relatively new to all these things but I reckon that leaves a driver problem. That had been mentioned to me on my initial query away back when I first bought the box.
It is looking like it's a driver problem if same issue on openpli.

Does your box manufacturer have a website where you can report a problem/bug and explain that you have tried several images and same problem and you know setup is correct so could it be a driver problem.
 
@robsunited - just so I'm clear on this. You ARE getting audio output over optical from the TM-Nano when "downmix yes " is selected? But not when "downmix no" is selected?

Can I ask what is the source of your programme material - Freeview or Freesat? Freesat 5.1 audio is Dolby Digital / AC3, whereas Freeview HD 5.1 audio is AAC. Most older AV amps will not handle AAC audio input. However, even if you are using Freeview, you should be getting normal stereo MP2 sound from SD channels (non 5.1 material) over the optical link with "downmix no" option, so it's a bit of a puzzle. It may well be a driver issue as others have suggested. If you are on Freeview, it might be worthwhile seeing if your box will transcode AAC to DD 5.1
 
It is looking like it's a driver problem if same issue on openpli.

Does your box manufacturer have a website where you can report a problem/bug and explain that you have tried several images and same problem and you know setup is correct so could it be a driver problem.

Unfortunately I've tried this step before. What I've done today re installing other images etc are things I've also done before BUT there is never any harm in trying again, therefore my re-attempting those steps today again. That way I've been able to give up-to-date responses to the guys here who have kindly been attempting to help me out. As for contacting Technomate, yes I've been down that route, the only response being the standard 'we will look into this'. However, definitely sound advice bbbuk. :thumbsup:
 
@robsunited - just so I'm clear on this. You ARE getting audio output over optical from the TM-Nano when "downmix yes " is selected? But not when "downmix no" is selected?

Can I ask what is the source of your programme material - Freeview or Freesat? Freesat 5.1 audio is Dolby Digital / AC3, whereas Freeview HD 5.1 audio is AAC. Most older AV amps will not handle AAC audio input. However, even if you are using Freeview, you should be getting normal stereo MP2 sound from SD channels (non 5.1 material) over the optical link with "downmix no" option, so it's a bit of a puzzle. It may well be a driver issue as others have suggested. If you are on Freeview, it might be worthwhile seeing if your box will transcode AAC to DD 5.1

Hi fat-tony.
Yes, that is correct, when I select "yes" I am getting audio.
I am using Freesat and I also have video ftp'd to the box which have DD5.1 sound (only not when I'm playing them back on this box).
 
Ok, then. I just wanted to eliminate the possibility of AAC surround being the issue. It is probably a driver issue as others have said. There's no technical restriction on regular DD 5.1 or normal DTS surround sound on optical/coax S/PDIF, so it must be a problem in the implementation on the Nano. Optical / coax won't handle the high-resolution audio from Blu-Ray or multichannel PCM audio. HDMI is the way to do that.
 
*UPDATE*
Last night I upgraded to Openvix 3.2 003 and am pleased to say that all the audio problems have disappeared and I'm getting DD5.1 etc working as per menu settings :thumbsup: Don't know why I was still getting the issues when I tested with other images but lo and behold Vix 3.2 has my box working in the way it was intended. Thanks guys :)
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top