Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[ET10x00] Software locking up when scrolling through EPG

Does the bouquet have services that are on a dead frequency owing to Freeview changes?

The bouquet is Freesat apart for one Freeview channel
All are working

All but one channel has an associated picon.

I don't see the same problems with exactly the same bouquet/epg/picon data in 5.1.021
 
What display settings have you got for Graphical EPG?
Does crash happen more often if you select a bouquet with a missing picon?

Setting and an image of (a working) EPG included.

I tend to only use my favourites bouquet. The crash is random. Sometimes a scroll through the EPG works multiple times, sometimes the scrolling will start ok but freezes after, say. half a dozen channel have been selected and sometimes the freeze is at the point when the EPG screen is drawn. The freeze can happen at any point in the channel list.

Bear in mind with exactly the same data I've never seen the problem in 2.1.021 and I must have accessed the bouquet/epg in the same way perhaps a 100 times more than I have when trying 022.

For now I'm reverting back to 021 to make my viewing more reliable.

crash1.webpcrash2.webp
 
I am not going into a debate about EPG. The Graphical EPG displays several components. If you accept this fine, otherwise life is too short.

There are essentially two commits between 021 and 022. One is a re-application of existing code after removal to facilitate merging (elist centering). The other is the tuner lock for receivers with drivers that are like the hd51. The issue I experienced resulted in a spinner for over an hour until I got home. Others are unable to reproduce it, I cant consistently reproduce it. My Freeview frequencies changed. After deleting channel data and rescanning, there has not been a crash.

Lamedb file is part of a settings nbackup/restore.

Can you please try the following:
Code:
init 4 && sleep 10  && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/lamedb* &&  init 3

This will not affect your bouquets (that are invoked by G-EPG). Scan again afterwards.

If this still crashes, can you try disabling picons in Graphical EPG please>
 
The ones with the later time stamps are the ones associated with this post. The one I believe to have been active at the time of the crash appears to be very short and perhaps of not much use. The one with the latest time stamp was after the init 6 reboot.
Well, there are two things about it - or rather one thing about it that has two "different interpretations":
It has many entries like "[eEPGCache] FS subtable (60571e00) version changed (6) now/next (1)".
  • I don't see this at all (I'm just using the EIT from Freeview), but some of your other logs show it too.
  • It ends with this. Which is odd as enigma2 has a handler for the signals it's expecting to get, which would produce a short stack dump. Whereas this could be lost with a power cycle, it wouldn't be lost with an "init 6" (or "reboot", which might be easier to remember).
So the implication is it's being killed an unusual signal.
 
My Freeview frequencies changed. After deleting channel data and rescanning, there has not been a crash.

Latest scheduled Freeview changes.....

Code:
https://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges/upcoming-changes#eXfZhtwfYCQVK4jb.97
 
Latest scheduled Freeview changes.....

Code:
https://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges/upcoming-changes#eXfZhtwfYCQVK4jb.97

i) The bouquet/epg that is causing a lock-up is all satellite (I did remove the one Freeview channel and still got the lock-up)
ii) My All Freeview bouquet is automatically updated daily by ABM
iii) My All Freesat bouquet is automatically updated daily by ABM
iv) All channels in my favourites bouquet work
v) Bluebell Hill changes are the end of September 2018
vi) no problem with same data in 5.1.021
 
Have you found a reliable way to cause it or is it still random?

Unfortunately still random but from a deep standby usually within an hour. I haven't been able to establish a pattern.
I'll have to stick to 5.1.021 over this bank holiday weekend.
 
Yep, reliable viewing is more important. Ill ask if we can make two enigma2 binaries for testing. will help identify which commit is causing/leading to issue.
 
Is that scrolling with Up/Down arrows or the 2/8 keys? Or both/either.

Always with the up/down keys that surround the OK button on my remote.
The page is also selected with the EPG button and then selecting my favourite bouquet from the list
 
As there is crap on TV........

A new test after doing what others have suggested may be the cure.

My favourites bouquet is now just Freesat channels – the one Freeview channel in that bouquet was removed.

I updated config files in ABM

I deleted the Freesat and Freeview bouquets (my fav_freesat is marked as keep). Confirmed that both Freesat and Freeview bouquets had been removed and that my fav_freesat bouquet was still present.

Selected every channel in the fav_freesat bouquet and confirmed that each was working.

Deleted EPG using both EPG delete in the menus and with the remove EPG script (not the plugin this time)
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?52890-Remove-EPG

[Used notepad++ to convert script from windows format to linux format, FTP’d using FileZilla to /usr/scripts, changed file permissions using FileZilla to 755, used Vix script runner to run it]

Ran a ABM scan for UK Freesat and Freeview.

Removed snp-full.400x240-400x240.light.on.transparent picons (plugin browser)
Reinstated same picons (plugin browser)

All this was in 5.1.021 and then left the box for around 15 minutes for the EPG(s) to re-populate.

Deleted all previous settings and image backups for 5.1.021/022
Re-created new settings and image backup for 5.1.021

I think all of the above covers what other have suggested may be the cure.

Couch flashed to 5.1.022 with a settings and plugin restore from 5.1.021

Box put into deep standby and then off at the mains for 1 minute
Turned box back on at approx 23:35 29 Mar 2018

Pressed EPG button on remote, selected my fav_freesat bouquet, Graphical EPG screen appeared immediately.

BOX LOCKED UP !

While still in this state used FileZilla to FTP to the box and downloaded both debug files. The first is associated with the couch update reboot and the other as a result of the power off/on boot. The files are attached as logs7.zip

As per post #17 in this thread a telnet session (FileZilla disconnected)
The results are the same as in post #40

init 4 - no visible response seen on TV screen – Mini video picture and audio still working.
killall enigma2 – no change, mini video picture and audio still working.
killall -9 enigma2 – EPG still on TV screen, no mini TV picture (black picture) and audio dead.

I didn’t bother with init3 and went straight to init 6
I also did a ps -ef after the 2nd killall command this time

Telnet session attached as telnet2.zip

After this reboot the first time into the EPG the box is locked up again

All 3 debug log files associated with this test are attached as logs 8.zip (the first two should be the same as in logs7.zip)
There were no other debug or crash logs created during this test.

Back to 5.1.021 from the backup and again no problems with scrolling through the EPG – I’ve been into the EPG around 20 times since reverting back.


View attachment logs7.zip
View attachment logs8..zip
View attachment telnet2.zip
 
Last edited:
Does the lock-up occur when the channels shown would page or when moving between, say, the second and third item on the current page?
 
Last edited:
Telnet session attached as telnet2.zip
Hmmmm....enigma2 is a zombie owned by init. That shouldn't happen...since init is supposed to clear up any zombies that get passed to it. One thing that can cause this is if the process is stuck in the kernel (e.g. waiting on a lock it will never get).
All very odd...(but that last comment would explain why the logs ends the way it does).

[init is process 1 and zombies get noted as <defunct>].
 
Last edited:
Does the lock-up occur when the channels shown would page or when moving between, say, the second and third item on the current page?

Usually when scrolling up/down on the same page but I have had lock-ups when scrolling down though multiple pages and then the lock-up.
 
Usually when scrolling up/down on the same page but I have had lock-ups when scrolling down though multiple pages and then the lock-up.

It's the same for me. I've tried a few older backups, hoping that would do the trick, but I still get the receiver completely freezing when I scroll through the EPG.
 
It's the same for me. I've tried a few older backups, hoping that would do the trick, but I still get the receiver completely freezing when I scroll through the EPG.
So it's not a problem unique to 5.1.022.:confused:
 
So it's not a problem unique to 5.1.022.:confused:

No on my Mut@nt HD2400 it's not. If it were, I wouldn't be bothered, and would be happy to use the older versions until any problems have been sorted out.

I'm using 5.1.012 and the receiverfroze earlier when I scrolled through the EPG.
 
Last edited:
Was 5.1.012 loaded from an image backup you've taken, or did you fresh flash and restore setting+plugins (from a later backup maybe)?
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top