Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

VU+ DUO 4KSE 2x DVB-C/T2 Tuners - but one not working

The main issue at the moment is the tuners. As I recall, the late @ccs reported an issue on his his ultimo 4k with MTSIF card. Hopefully, once that is solved, you should not get any timer conflicts. Likelihood of you recording more than 4 multiplexes simultaneously is very low.
How can I check whether the issue has been resolved?
 
The main issue at the moment is the tuners. As I recall, the late @ccs reported an issue on his his ultimo 4k with MTSIF card. Hopefully, once that is solved, you should not get any timer conflicts. Likelihood of you recording more than 4 multiplexes simultaneously is very low.
Isn't the likelihood slightly increased if the channel being watched is on a different mux to any of those being recorded? Assuming those being recorded are each on different muxes.
Cheers.
 
I'd hazard a guess that with 4 tuners working without issue, you are unlikely to need a fifth one. With just one tuner, you can view/record/stream all the HD channels simultaneously. But yes, the possibility is there that you would want to access more than four multiplexes.

Which mast are you using? Please enable debug logs in the logs settings, restart your receiver to activate them. Initiate two recordings of channels on different muxes, the zap to another on a third mux and see if you get an error. Then upload the log. Then schedule three recordings ( all on differernt muxes) with a gap of two minutes on start time (inclusive of padding) and then upload log.
 
Hi Abu. Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I suppose I'm just trying to find out what the limits are without causing Vix problems.

I agree that 4 T2 tuners should be ample, or even overkill. Two tuners on the old Topfield were adequate most of the time, but not always, hence me specifying 4 tuners.

ADM's posts were very useful for a Vix newby like me, so there should be fewer, or no further timer clashes.

Transmitter is Sandy Heath. Logs should appear here within the next few days.

Cheers
 
I'm following this thread with very great interest as I am in the market for a 2x T2 dual tuner box. I feel it to be futureproofing when 2030 arrves and Sky/Sat slowly dies a death. In the UK my understanding is that the terrestrial will be around until at least 2040. There are no channels I want to watch/record on Freesat that are not also on Freeview so this usage scenrio suits me well too :) When I move house it means I will not have to get a dish installed either.
Yes I know that the new frreview streaming service is on the way and I can't wait to totally ignore it and reject it as one cannot skip the adverts consistently and permenantly - not even with an adblocking DNS setting on the router (as it breaks the streaming service totally I have been told. 2040 will take me to my mid 70's and at that point I won't really care anymore!

Even right now - I did a test and set a timer to record all 5 HD T2 channels simultaneously and it worked a treat - that is with one single T2 tuner in my H7S. Wish I could find an H7C on fleabay with 2x T2 and 1xSat - alas - like hens teeth me thinks :-)

slightly off thread topic....
I also did an upgrade to an SSD (1Tb) and the H7S is much smoother, timeshift is much more stable too with version 6.7.010 so a big thanks to the dev's for that.
For the SSD - I set up a cron job to trim the SSD weekly and outlput the results to a log file and also setup a little reminder to check the TBW every few months to make sure I am not pummeling the SSD. To anyone who says the SSD is not worth it then I certainly don't agree. It has transformed the H7 box for sure. snappier in general too. 5x T2 recordings all at once and no disk thrashing noise either.
 
Hi Guys.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I've been trying to find a way to recreate the problem from my original post. I've had no problems when using multiple tuners, except when also using the timeshift function. Timeshifting, even when no timers are active, often causes the spinning Vix to appear, together with the Vu+ becoming unresponsive. If a timer is active at the same time, this becomes much worse, sometimes requiring a power-off reboot.

There's another current forum thread titled Crashing VU+Duo4KSE. The symptoms described aren't quite the same as mine, but @twol has been active in the discussion and has posted alternative builds of Timeshift.py. Should I just try this file, or would that be a stupid thing to do without submitting error logs?

I'll keep an eye on the other thread to see what happens.

Cheers
 
Hi Guys.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I've been trying to find a way to recreate the problem from my original post. I've had no problems when using multiple tuners, except when also using the timeshift function. Timeshifting, even when no timers are active, often causes the spinning Vix to appear, together with the Vu+ becoming unresponsive. If a timer is active at the same time, this becomes much worse, sometimes requiring a power-off reboot.

There's another current forum thread titled Crashing VU+Duo4KSE. The symptoms described aren't quite the same as mine, but @twol has been active in the discussion and has posted alternative builds of Timeshift.py. Should I just try this file, or would that be a stupid thing to do without submitting error logs?

I'll keep an eye on the other thread to see what happens.

Cheers
would like to see debug log after this has happened!
 
OK, I'll re-enable timeshift and see if I can extract debug log files.
 
I have a debug error file on the Vu+. Please could somebody provide an idiots guide to retrieving the file so it can be posted here?

Cheers
 
PS, I have WinSCP installed on a PC but can't connect to the Vu+. WinSCP just asks if the remote device has a server set up. I have set a password on the Vu+ network settings.

Cheers
 
not sure if this is a great help ...... but those ViX spinners seem to be that you are trying to watch/record and its unable to tune...just before there is often a change to record from timeshift which ties up one tuner and its hard to see what else you might have recording from the log that is tying up your other tuner(s).
 
Thanks for your help. The logs may well be muddled due to me desperately trying to trigger errors.

I'll try the suggestions from Abu in post #24, hopefully leading to a clearer picture of what's going on

Now that I've figured out how to retrieve and post logs there shouldn't so much delay in posting them.
 
Hi @twol

3 recordings started using different SD muxes.
1 channel watched on another mux after recordings started. All seemed OK until logging turned off, requiring GUI reboot.
After that the watched channel froze and Vix spinners started.
After spinners ceased I tried to view the tuners using Signal Finder. Tuners A and B looked OK, but spinners started again when trying to view C and D.

Log attached but won't show anything after the GUI reboot.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
@twol

Ps. Vu+ appears to be working normally now but I suspect only using tuners A and B. Spinners restart when trying to look at Signal Finder C and D.
Full cold reboot probably needed...
 
Last edited:
A full reboot was needed.
[Edit: And was needed again after this test, otherwise tuners C&D were not available.]

Another slightly more organised test.
1. 1st recording started on PSB1 mux.
2. After about 3 minutes a 2nd recording started on PSB2 mux.
3. After another 3 minutes switched to view another channel on PSB3 mux.

Step 3 resulted in frozen screen when viewing. Spinning Vix logo started at the same time.
During a gap in the spinners I was able to switch back to the channel first recorded.
Logging stopped, error file attached.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
A full reboot was needed.
[Edit: And was needed again after this test, otherwise tuners C&D were not available.]

Another slightly more organised test.
1. 1st recording started on PSB1 mux.
2. After about 3 minutes a 2nd recording started on PSB2 mux.
3. After another 3 minutes switched to view another channel on PSB3 mux.

Step 3 resulted in frozen screen when viewing. Spinning Vix logo started at the same time.
During a gap in the spinners I was able to switch back to the channel first recorded.
Logging stopped, error file attached.
so you constantly getting 5 second timeouts as the box tries to tune and fails - I don't have T2 but I am guessing there is some hangup on the card?
16:38:35.2869 [eDVBFrontend2] startTuneTimeout 5000
16:38:35.2870 [eDVBFrontend2] setFrontend 1
16:38:35.2871 [eDVBFrontend2] setting frontend
16:38:35.2873 [eDVBFrontend2] fe event: status 0, inversion off, m_tuning 1
16:38:40.2869 [eDVBChannel] OURSTATE: failed, retune
16:38:40.2875 [eDVBFrontend2] tune
16:38:40.2876 [eDVBChannel] OURSTATE: tuning
16:38:40.2877 [eDVBServicePMTHandler] tune failed.
16:38:40.2877 [eDVBServicePlay] DVB service failed to tune - error 1
16:38:40.2880 [eDVBServicePMTHandler] ignore sdt update data.... incorrect transponder tuned!!!
16:38:40.2881 [eDVBServicePMTHandler] incorrect namespace. expected: eeee0000 current: ffffffff
16:38:40.2881 [eDVBServicePMTHandler] incorrect transport_stream_id. expected: 408d current: ffffffff
16:38:40.2881 [eDVBServicePMTHandler] incorrect original_network_id. expected: 233a current: ffffffff
16:38:40.2881 [eDVBFrontend2] startTuneTimeout 5000
16:38:40.2889 [eDVBFrontend2] setFrontend 1
16:38:40.2889 [eDVBFrontend2] setting frontend
16:38:44.1933 [gRC] Warning: Main thread is busy, displaying spinner!
16:39:12.1939 [eDVBFrontend2] fe event: status 0, inversion off, m_tuning 1
16:39:12.2031 [eDVBServicePlay] Start timeshift!
16:39:12.2032 [eDVBChannel] OURSTATE: failed, retune
16:39:12.2032 [eDVBFrontend2] tune
16:39:12.2032 [eDVBChannel] OURSTATE: tuning
16:39:12.2033 [eDVBServicePMTHandler] tune failed.
16:39:12.2033 [eDVBServicePlay] DVB service failed to tune - error 1
16:39:12.2035 [eDVBServicePMTHandler] ignore sdt update data.... incorrect transponder tuned!!!
16:39:12.2035 [eDVBServicePMTHandler] incorrect namespace. expected: eeee0000 current: ffffffff
16:39:12.2035 [eDVBServicePMTHandler] incorrect transport_stream_id. expected: 408d current: ffffffff
16:39:12.2035 [eDVBServicePMTHandler] incorrect original_network_id. expected: 233a current: ffffffff
 
Thankyou for looking.

Not sure about 5 second timeouts. Seems more like several minutes spinning, then 5 seconds to do anything before spinning starts again.

I left the debug settings in their default state for all error logs so far. Would there be any point in changing these settings? If so, what changes might help to identify the problem?

I can run the same tests again if that would help.

I'm happy to try anything you (or anybody else with a T2 tuner) can suggest.
I could also disable the 2nd tuner card, if that might help with investigating.

Cheers
 
Last edited:
Disable and just check to see it makes any difference.
you might change debug to debug+ …..sometimes we put debug stuff in different category
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top