Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Plugins no internet connection

BenEadir

New member
Joined
Jun 17, 2014
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So, last night before I went to bed I tried one final time to flash the latest OpenVix to the box via the USB drive.

This time I removed the power cable, removed the Ethernet cable, popped the USB drive in one of the rear USB slots and re-inserted the power cable whilst holding in the up button. I kept the up button held for a minute or so but nothing happened other than the Mutant logo staying on the TV screen. I then repeated the process but this time started up pressing power button on front of the box for about a minute but yet again nothing happened other than the Mutant logo on the TV.

Annoyed yet again I turned off the TV and went to bed.

Today after getting home from work I turned on the TV and nearly fell over when I was presented with an OpenVix logo and what looked like a fresh install menu!! Not sure what happened I removed the USB, inserted the Ethernet cable and thus far I've managed to get internet working on the box per the screen image below.

It's nearly 4 years since I last set up this box so I've a lot of re-learning to do in terms of the 4 tuners, providers, EPG etc but for now I'm happy that the box at least appears to be live. Thanks guys for your help.

IMG201912101745441576004521.jpg
 
IP address set to 0.0.0.0, and date is Friday 22 November 2019. :confused:
 
No internet cable and so no Ip, but time clock?
 
I ran the internet connection set up again and this time it has updated the date and time so I do think it's back working.

Next step is to figure out how to set up the tuners, providers, blended EPG etc. It's been nearly 4 years since I did it last (which was also my first time) so I've got a lot of re-learning to do.

If i recall correctly there used to be a way to flash an Irish set up with UK FTA and Saorview channels all on one 7 day EPG etc. I don't suppose you (or anyone else) can point me in the right direction?
 
First step is to give details of which tuners you have and what they're connected to.

Then it's over to someone else to advise. :)
 
I ran the internet connection set up again and this time it has updated the date and time so I do think it's back working.

Next step is to figure out how to set up the tuners, providers, blended EPG etc. It's been nearly 4 years since I did it last (which was also my first time) so I've got a lot of re-learning to do.

If i recall correctly there used to be a way to flash an Irish set up with UK FTA and Saorview channels all on one 7 day EPG etc. I don't suppose you (or anyone else) can point me in the right direction?

Just out of curiosity can you type in Menu/Information/About and confirm which Image version is installed??
 
First step is to give details of which tuners you have and what they're connected to.

Then it's over to someone else to advise. :)

Thanks CCS.

So the box is alive (HDD still corrupt/dead) but things are looking up.

The tuners I have are:-

IMG201912111348291576094293.jpg
 
Just out of curiosity can you type in Menu/Information/About and confirm which Image version is installed??

It's V5.3.011

IMG201912111346071576093580.jpg


Its so long since I set up the box (almost 4 years) that I've completely forgotten what the process is but I'll do my homework and figure it out. I've 2 satellite receivers and 2 Saorview receivers which need to be set up and once they are and have been scanned etc I think the next step is to create a list of favourite channels from both satellite and Saorview feeds using AutoBouquetMaker and then get the 7 day EPG working. That's the basic plan but I'm sure it won't be as simple as that.

The good news is I now have the IP address of the box so OpenWebIf is working which should help.

The bad news is even in this new OpenVix image the PVR function immediately hangs when it tries to list the recordings on the HDD. I'm confident the HDD is either corrupt which a reformat might fix or is just knackered in which case I'll need to buy a replacement. If the latter any recommendations? Is it worth or even possible to use an SSD?

If I have to either reformat or remove the HDD is there a handy way to extract the stored content? Are the recordings going to be in a weird format which has to be converted before viewing? I'm thinking I could stick them on my NAS and watch via Plex.

Some other random questions:-

- What Primary and Secondary DNS should I use? The box currently uses a 192.168.X.X number. I'm familiar with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the Google DNS
but I guess they may not be appropriate for a sat box?

- What providers (Freesat, Sky, Sky ROI & Saorview) should I stick with for UK FTA (BBC, ITV, C4, Sky News etc) and Saorview channels?

- Do I need to use DreamBoxEdit for the channel bouquet? (I have this listed from 4 years ago as a useful tool)

- What plugins to I need or should install to make life easy and the experience as good as possible?

- What skin do people recommend? I used to have a Sly (Sky) type skin but I don't think it's supported or available any more.

Apologies the windy post. Any bit of input would be much appreciated.
 
Leave the IP address/network stuff at default values. There is a link on how to take screenshots in my signature if you need it. A lot better than pictures.

The golden rule of tuner configuration is: Tuner config must match what is hooked up to the tuners.
So if you have a signal wire from a satellite dish pointing at 28.2 hooked up to a tuner, you tell it simple, single, 28.2
If you have a signal wire from a Terrestrial aerial hooked up to the tuner, default of europe normally works for people. As RoI has lots of masts and repeaters, select your country and the mast you aerial points to.

You can use DreamboxEdit or any other editor Dreamset/E-Channelizer etc if you want to create/edit your bouquets. Don't edit ABM bouquets though.
 
You should also disable Overscan on your TV. Good thing you took a picture instead of screenshot.

The recordings are just .ts files. You can play them with most media players.
 
When the box is offline it starts with the date and time of the build (fake hw-clock).

Didn‘t know that - is that a “fiddle“ to stop crashes i.e. the code expects a date/time??
 
Yep - I think so. I had (and still have) issues with the log dates on my HD51 (uses WiFi) which @birdman spent a lot of time helping me to troubleshoot after the code changes last year to support fake hw-clock. Anyway, that's for a separate topic!
 
I've an Asus RT-N66U which is dual band. It's a few years old now but was pretty top spec when I got it and I keep the firmware etc up to date so will make a list of the IP addresses then unplug the Ethernet cable from the HD2400 and see which IP address disappears from the router. I guess that would be one step in the right direction and I could then push on with either FTP or Putty with a bit more confidence.

I won't raise the white flag just yet!!

So I managed to breathe life back into the box and set up the tuners which are working fine including EPG etc. The HDD still isn't working and hangs anytime I try to use the PVR function so I've ordered a replacement SSD and will install that after it arrives, that might require a new thread!!

In the meantime the main issue I have which I now have some time to return to (my new Xmas project) and would appreciate some more assistance with is that although the box is connected to my router via Ethernet, passes all stages of the network test and I'm able to use OpenWebIf (for the screenshots below) I'm still not able to download plugins and get an error message that the box doesn't have an internet connection.

I've err'd on the side of caution below and blacked out any IP/Mac address info I thought might be compromising but if that info is needed in order to get me connected to the internet I'll share it.

The following are self explanatory.

Box-Info1577026701.jpg


Adapter-Settings1577026728.jpg


Network-Test1577026754.jpg


No-Internet-Connection1577026771.jpg


The only thing which catches my eye (for no particular reason) is the last line of the first screenshot above where in Box Info it says that the IPv4 address is xxx.xxx.x.xxx/24 via xxx.xxx.x.x

Any suggestions as to what I need to do to get the box online?
 
I just rechecked my et network and differs slightly as mine shows as Lan adaptor--Lan connection green tick and wonder what way yours is.
My boxes are all hard wired.

I also see your Secondary DNS is all 00 as both my primary and secondary have settings.
 
Last edited:
Vix plugin server and Vix download server are two different places. We used to check internet connectivity with one of those. As they weren't as reliable as Google DNS server, we now check internet connectivity by seeing if you can reach Google DNS server.

Try temporary bypassing the extra network settings in your router until you have set up your receiver.
 
I just rechecked my et network and differs slightly as mine shows as Lan adaptor--Lan connection green tick and wonder what way yours is.
My boxes are all hard wired.

Mine is hardwired also if by hardwired you mean Ethernet cable to the router?

I also see your Secondary DNS is all 00 as both my primary and secondary have settings.

I think that looks weird all right. I'm tempted to manually set the DNS to Googles settings i.e. 8.8.8.8 for the primary and 8.8.4.4 for the secondary.

Good / bad idea? I don't see how it can do any harm.
 
Vix plugin server and Vix download server are two different places. We used to check internet connectivity with one of those. As they weren't as reliable as Google DNS server, we now check internet connectivity by seeing if you can reach Google DNS server.

How is the DNS defined when there's a fresh install like I have? I've ended up with a DNS which isn't a Google DNS as far as I can tell. Should I manually set DNS to 8.8.8.8. and secondary to 8.8.4.4 and see if that does the trick?

Try temporary bypassing the extra network settings in your router until you have set up your receiver.

Networking is a real weakness of mine. Would you mind elaborating on what I should do to bypass the extra network settings? What should I be disabling?
 
Any time i reflash a new image i setup from scratch and run the network wizard to link to network which gives me an ip and other settings.

Wondering if your router is locking you out with something like child lock?
Can you say who provides your router as others might know of a way to override it.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top